Movie Musicials: Good, Bad, or just plain Ugly?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, just stirring up trouble.

What's the worst movie musical you've ever seen? Which movie musical made you want to run screaming from the room because it made your ears bleed?

And, on the flip side, what is the best movie musical you've ever seen? Has there ever been a good movie musical based on fantasy or science fiction?

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Movie-wise, I'm partial to West Side Story and Guys and Dolls, though the best musicals ever made are, of course, Jesus Christ Superstar and Chess. While JCS was certainly made into a movie, it's better as an example of misguided 1970s aesthetics --why hello Disco Judas!-- than for its more direct entertainment value.

I'm sure there are plenty of classic Hollywood musicals I'm forgetting... I've seen a few Busby Berkeley films thanks to my wife, and they're interesting for their space-warping big production numbers (which seem to take place on stages the size of Rhode Island)...

... wait, I'm forgetting The King and I... that's a good one, notable for Yul Brenner's portrayal of a capriciously oversexed child-man monarch and the seemingly 30-minute long musical-within-a-musical; a crazy Buddhist version of Uncle Tom's Cabin performed for the Siamese court (and written by Rita Moreno).

The episodes "Once More, with Feeling" from Buffy and "The Bitter Suite" from Xena are probably the best scifi/fantasy movie musicals...

... unless that honor goes to The Rocky Horror Show/Picture Show and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.

As for the worst... I've never stuck around watching a bad musical long enough to catch it's name.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I guess I'm lucky. I've never seen a bad musical/play.

I've seen Annie, Man of La Mancha (my most favorite), Cats, Sweeney Todd (the movie, firckin' awesome), Phantom of the Opera and one play based on the Camp Grenada song, which I can't for the life of me remember the name of.

Last edited:

horacethegrey

First Post
I must confess that I don't actively seek out movie musicals, but I don't mind them either.

My favorites would be Sweeney Todd (Stephen Sondheim is God), Jesus Christ Superstar, The Rocky Horror Picture Show (gotta love Tim Curry in fishnets ;)), and West Side Story.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
You know, if they were to ever remake The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, I hope they would make it into a Musical, cuz that would be funny...

Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog was a kick ass musical.

I think most animated musicals( and pseudo-musicals) tends to suck if they are not produced by Disney or Pixar. That said, Nightmare Before Christmas is my favorite "musical."

Afrodyte

Explorer
What's the worst movie musical you've ever seen? Which movie musical made you want to run screaming from the room because it made your ears bleed?

I typically just run out of the room with my ears bleeding. But the one that stands out - and I wish that didn't - is Cats.

I know, I know. It's a classic. Blah, blah, blah. But I really couldn't get into it.

Even the costumes failed to keep me up, and I love a good costume.

Just about every Disney movie ever made plucks my last nerve.

And, on the flip side, what is the best movie musical you've ever seen? Has there ever been a good movie musical based on fantasy or science fiction?

At the risk of stating the obvious: Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Villano

First Post
I don't usually watch musicals, so I can't really comment on the worst one, but one of the best has to be The Blues Brothers. :cool:

Remove ads