H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Whilst my group enjoyed Keep on the Shadowfell, there was something about it that didn't quite work for us. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it - the adventure just wasn't all that exciting, and it seemed a bit rushed. The production values were great - the folder, the colour booklets, the poster maps, and the adventure certainly did its job competently.

Thunderspire, however, seems like a step up. I waited to write this review until we had played it, rather than merely read it, so as to be as fair as possible.

It's just as pretty as its predecessor. The same format, with the same folder and booklets. There's only the one poster map, though (unlike the three in KotS) which was something of a disappointment, especially given that some of the set-piece encounters involve fairly intricate locations. One of the familiar cries from my players was "No, there's no such thing as a 13 x 7 dungeon tile!" or "Lake of blood? No we don't have that one". We forgave the lack of tiles (yes, we own them all) in the case of bizarre, exotic dungeon features such as the aforementioned lake of blood, but some of the odd room sizes seemed to be put there just to annoy us. Would it have done any harm to try to match them to the tiles that WotC itself actually sells? Is a 5x7 room intrinsically better than a 4x8 room? Does it make a difference, other than the fact that we wouldn't have to fiddle around building rooms and corridors out of seven million teeny tiny tiles instead of a couple of big ones?

That's a minor complaint, though. The poster map does contain one large battlemap for the most complex encounter location (thank goodness - if I were faced with building that out of tiles I'd just go home again!), and the reverse has several smaller maps for some of the more intricate locations. I'm really grousing for the sake of grousing, here.

The central location of this adventure - the Seven Pillared Hall - is a wonderfully flavourful underground marketplace/settlement. It is teeming with interesting NPCs, locations and plot hooks. If Winterhaven was a slightly-stale cheese sandwich, The Hall is a gourmet lobster banquet; you can have hours of fun without even leaving it. For those DMs running the adventure, I encourage you to make full use of this area: it really is worth it.

Around this Hall are four dungeons. The PCs are largely led by the nose into the dungeons one at a time (and my players frequently called out "Choo Choo!" as they moved from one section of the railroad to the next - but I understand these adventures are designed to cater for inexperienced D&D players), and the DM needs to do a little work motivating them. Each dungeon has its own occupant-type and theme (a slaver lair, a duergar fortress, a gnoll temple and a wizard's tower). As you'd expect, each successive dungeon contains more and more magical and thematic locations; the first dungeon is a fairly simple slugfest, while later dungeons include the aforementioned lake of blood, magical teleporting pillars, a doomsphere, and so on.

The locations really are fun. Set-piece battles in strange environments are always memorable, and your group will remember many of these battles. It's always something I've tried to do in my own games, and I was happy to see it done for me here. Although I'll never beat my rotating clockwork gears and swinging pendulum encounter area; I really should write that up sometime!

My players did have two complaints about the adventure:

1) Not enough treasure! Now, I'm not entirely sure whether that's true, or whether the treasure just isn't on-display enough for them, but they do seem to be suffering a massive deficit of cash and magic items, and I've certainly not withheld anything from them. Dying and creating a new character with default treasure for the level seems a sure way to profit, as it's bound to be more than the surviving characters have. Sure, I can fix it myself and add more treasure in, but I'd rather it was done for me: that's why I paid for a pre-written adventure, after all. Perhaps other groups didn't experience this issue, or perhaps my group was particularly inept at finding and recovering the treasure, but they're certainly light.

2) It seemed a bit tough. We were experiencing the 5-minute adventuring day, since an extended rest was needed after most encounters. Again, maybe I have a sub-optimal group, so I can't positively say this was the adventure's fault. It just kinda feels like it is, and I'm not quite proficient enough at running 4E yet to be able to eyeball encounter strengths easily other than by looking at the levels and XP awards for them.

So those are the main complaints; neither is crippling and both are fixable if you feel like putting in the effort. That assumes you agree that the problems exist; if your group doesn't seem to be experiencing them then don't worry about it. And neither of them cause me to reduce the product's score significantly.

Thunderspire is a fun adventure. Lots of different stuff going on, lots of interesting set-pieces. Admittedly, it's just four consecutive dungeon-crawls, but they're above-average dungeon-crawls.

Oh. Wait. Did Richard Baker and Mike Mearls forget they wrote Minion rules into the 4E system? Don't expect to be fighting many minions in this adventure - there aren't any! That's not a complaint; just a curious note.

If you liked Shadowfell, you'll like this more. It's more of the same, but better - with fewer poster maps and more tile-stumping encounter locations! Your players will learn to hate duergar theurges, if they're anything like my group; and the big green dragon encounter will be surprisingly easy and quickly over.

Next is Pyramid of Shadows, which looks like another dungeon crawl, but appears to amp up the interesting set-piece encounter location concept into overdrive. Looks like fun!

Last edited:

davethegame

Explorer
I agree completely with your assessments, Morrus. My party is working their way through this now, and I decided I was going to try to build the dungeons in advance when I could... but after doing Chamber of Eyes and Grimmerzhul Trading Post, I decided they just used too many odd sizes to do practically with Dungeon Tiles. They're heading for the Well of Demons next, which is just going to get drawn out on blank maps as they go.

The only thing that you note that I haven't experienced is it being too tough- even when they were only 4 characters, they were generally able to roll through most encounters pretty well.

bleedingedge

First Post
Having played H1 & H2, and just finished the prep for H3 (and having skimmed P1), all of the modules in this series are giving out anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the treasure (both cash and magic) recommended by the DMG. I find it extremely disappointing that the modules drift so far from WotC's own rules for treasure generation. Sure you can fix it yourself but the point of spending money on a module is so that you don't have to spend your time doing those sorts of things.

The boss fights in H1 and H2 are also setup to have a very high chance of TPK if run to maximum efficiency by the GM. Especially H1 as at such low levels you don't have enough ways to trigger healing surges, and can get into situations where the party has plenty of surges left but no way to trigger them. At least in H2 the party has the potential to be able to use all of the surges they have (whether it's enough or not is another matter). Obviously class mix does come into play here but I think the average iconic party would get stomped by these encounters w/o the GM holding back.

Because of these two items I would say that the modules are extremely poorly balanced. This doesn't make them not worth running, it just means that as a DM you need to be aware of it and perform the appropriate modification(s).

The series also has some continuity holes; at the end of H1 the town is claiming they have no cash to pay the party (given what has happened there it shouldn't) yet one of the hooks in H2 is the town offering you 1000gp to go off and do something. Where did this 1000gp that they didn't have a day or two ago come from??? There are other such gaffes which are mildly annoying.

That said the setting of H2 is neat and certainly has a lot of hooks for other adventures. I was disappointed on reading through H3 to that rather than expanding on the region around the seven pillared hall it takes you to a new area entirely. So it looks like if you run the series all of those cool plot hooks in H2 are going to be abandoned.

baez

First Post
Making Battlemaps

I read a forum post about using PosteRazor to make battle maps from the actual maps in the modules. I forgot to bookmark the forum post, but Posterazor can be downloaded from here:

PosteRazor - Make your own poster!

So if you buy the PDF of the module you're running, you can copy the map images out of the the document, and then bring it into PosteRazor. It will rescale the image to several pages in size. It then saves the images as a PDF file. You print out the page, and tape them together. Bingo! A battlemap that looks just like the map out of the module.

You need to pull the image into a graphics editing program like Photoshop or The Gimp and then crop the map to the outter most walls. If you're really good, you'll also use the graphics program to remove all the monster markers and secrets from the image before you run it through Posterazor.

To choose the size for PosteRazor to use for scaling, just count the number of squares on the map. So if a map is 30 squares by 20 squares, then tell PosteRazor to scale it to 30 inches by 20 inches ( you may have to add a half inch or so for the outter walls).

JackSmithIV

First Post
Good review! On both concerns you raised:

1) My Ranger had an even bigger problem. There's no gear between Shadowfell and Thunderspire that appeals to a bow-ranger specifically. I had to work gear for her in myself.

2) HUGE problem, especially in the Duergar hold. Just too many room to room to room encounters. That was completely made up for in my mind by the Well of Demons and encounters like the one in the Grimmerzul Trading post.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Currently playing this now and the players love it. We may never leave this place, especially with the expansions from Dungeon.

As far as treasure goes, offer better rewards for all those quests people in the Seven Pillared Hall offer. Gendar the Drow is a good place for rare MIs.

I too wish there were a LOT more minions and more variety within a creature type. (Gnolls for eg don;t even have minions - I have written up four more gnolls). I always swap some creatures, especially to add minions - you need them for your wizard and other multiple target attacks.

The PCs returned to the 7PH in the midst of a skirmish. The dwarves of the Deepgem comapny were blaming the duergar for the slaughter of one of their mining teams (and missing boar). This allowed the PCs to befriend the dwarves. There are just so many adventure hooks within that place.

Had a new PC arrive too. He just happened to be a survivor from Riverbend and looking for his fellow villages. The PCs don;t have to be led by the nose - there are other ways (some in module) to encourage each bit of the adventure - especially if they seek new treasures. Simply have an NPC like Grendar mention that he knows a gnoll has such an item. That should be enough to get them to seek out the gnolls.

Good review BTW. Cheer, C

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I was warned on here that the plot was a little weak as it led from encounter to encounter, so I reworked it a bit. My overarching plot involves a massive new demand for slaves coming from a drow city (I will rework Vault of the drow if P2 does not work). The labyrinth is no below an active human city, where the Bloodfists are a human mercenary company that is responsible for keeping order. The Comapny just doesn't bother with prisons, finding it easier to sell anyone they arrest instead. They arrested a childhood friend of 2 PCs, leading to pretty good motivation for following the trail. It will end in the second dungeon.

Independently the Gnolls were responsible for the disappearance of a player that withdrew from the game. The party burnt down the gnolls forest, and the migrating tribe overran the ex-PC as he was trying to catch up with the group. The gnolls then disappeared, from the surface. Hints of gnolls in the seven pillared hall has them thirsting for revenge. I have planned diversions to other parts of the labyrinth to keep PCs from finding Gnolls too quickly. The connection between the last two stages is pretty strong, so it has been left as is.

The 3 man party cleared the Chamber of Eyes, lucking out in the boss fight when 4, DC 10 perception checks were failed by villains- they had enough trouble fighting each half of the encounter. The PCs collected enough evidence to prove the corruption, it just depends on how corrupt the bloodfists superiors are.

I must be the only one not using tiles, I used a drawn mat the first session, which is what we are used to.
All the fighting took place in the mapped portion of the lair during the second session. This is the first published adventure I have run in several editions, and it was jarring to keep having to cover and reveal different portions of a map rather than drawing it as it appeared. I will ask the group if they prefer the added levels of detail to the less awkward from scratch approach.

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
We don't use tiles (but do use any battlemaps provided). I use a gridded battlemap and set up chamber walls with dominoes for straight walls or small rope (those from your hoods are good) for cavern walls.

I have a collection of these sorts of things to set up battles on the grid. (Wrote an article for Enworld on this too). Works for us. :)
C

Lazy Litch

Explorer
IM STARTING KOTSF this week and the first session should be fine the time will be filled with character generation,the im gona start the party in fallcrest.give the a hook that they trained in a small adventure guild but the grandmaster is gone missing.he was searching for that dragon burial site,and the pcs are sent to find him.theirs a encounter map for kings road and the encounters afterwards.but the maps for keep are only in the book.i dont know how in going to get these on the table in full size without and of the monster positions.we dont have any of these dungeon tiles,the dont sell the here.wa am i gona do?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases