Hit Point Representation Poll

Do hit points represent the same thing in 4E as prior editions?

• Same as prior editions -- and that's a good thing.

Votes: 55 57.3%
  • Same as prior editions -- and that's a bad thing.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Different than prior editions -- and that's a good thing.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Different than prior editions -- and that's a bad thing.

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Poll closed .

Delta

First Post
Do hit points represent the same thing in 4E as prior editions? Based on your answer, do you think that's good or bad?

Shroomy

Adventurer
I voted "Same As Previous Editions - And That's a Good Thing." They're the same because hit points are still an extremely abstract way to adjudicate who "won" or "lost" a combat (or a similar situation where you could take damage). You narrate an abstraction at your own peril, but don't expect that it will track with any kind of realistic results beyond perhaps the first level or so.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Different/bad. But with one caveat.

My beef with hit points in 4E has more to do with the way that they can be healed, than with their portrayal in the game. Damage is damage, whether it is physical or psychological. And in my mind, healing that damage should require more than just "being awesome" (healing surges.) I feel it should require bedrest and/or magic.

This is a song that I've sang before, so I'll drop it. But you asked. :)

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Same as it ever was, and that's a neutral thing.

D&D hit points are abstract and always have been, they are impossible to define and ultimately lead to thinking to hard about fantasy.

I put that HP are different. Not because they are abstract or inherently different, but that it is now practical(I would not call resting to heal in previous editions practical in any sense of the word) to restore them without divine magic. That is significant enough to call them different in my book, and being able to play D&D without one of the players being forced(as in the game really sucks if you don't) to be a divine caster is a VERY good thing.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Same as it ever was, and that's a neutral thing.

D&D hit points are abstract and always have been, they are impossible to define and ultimately lead to thinking to hard about fantasy.
This, although I voted same/bad thing. I've always had a problem with not being able to take down any humanoid creature with one shot, regardless of level. When slitting a 10th level character's throat just makes him mad, there's something wrong. Not that I've ever been able to come up with a fix that would keep them from dropping like 1st levels in normal combat...

Cadfan

First Post
I voted "same." Its not 100% the same (generally, in previous editions, hit points gained through determination were temporary hit points; in 4e, they can be permanent or temporary), but its close enough that its not worth worrying.

They are different to previous editions. They are meant to be interpreted a little more loosely than previous editions - particularly in regards to what is considered "damage" and how it is healed or overcome. There are good things and bad things to this - overall being neutral for me but still fun.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

malraux

First Post
I think they are slightly different, in that your hit points are actually something like (4+HSnumber)*HSvalue. The hit points on your sheet represent something closer to your massive damage amount. If you drop more than your hit points, you'll die, even though you might have some reserves somewhere.

Remove ads