Icemist and Beyond: Characters from Small Beginnings

Enk&D'Shai

First Post
In response to requests by some of our readers, we have decided to start posting stat blocks of characters from the Small Beginnings Story Hour (we really need to get this group a cool name - I guess we should get to the part of the story hour where they do something worthy of having a name).

But, as an added bonus, we've already decided to throw in - with no extra fee - an overview of Icemist itself, including NPC descriptions, recent events, and (if we can get it scanned properly) a map of Icemist and the surrounding territory. We're also going to use this venue to stat magic items that need explanation.

GameSpeak questions can also be asked here, so ask them if you have them.

I hope these would be heroes are everything you thought they would be!

For those new to the Story, Check it out!

Small Beginnings

Last edited:

Enk&D'Shai

First Post
For the first PC, we have the character that kicked the whole story hour off - Roscoe P Tosscobble, known to his friends as Pack!

Roscoe P Tosscobble "Pack"
Halfling Male Bard 2; small sized humanoid (halfling); HD 2d6; hps 12; Init +2 (+2 Dex); Speed 20 ft; AC 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Armour); Attack: BAB: +1; -1 (Dagger Melee), +4 (Dagger Thrown), +3 (Sling), -1 (Sap); Dmg: 1d4-2 (19-20, x2) (Dagger), 1d4 (x2) (Sling), 1d4-2 Subdual (Sap); SV Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +4; AL CG; Str 6, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 17.

Languages: Torian, Ionian

Skills: Alchemy +2, Appraise +2, Balance +3, Bluff +4, Climb 1, Decipher Script +2, Diplomacy +4, Forgery +2, Gather Information +4, Hide +3, Innuendo +4, Jump +0, Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Listen +3, Move Silently +5, Open Lock +3, Perform +6, Pick Pockets +3, Sense Motive +1, Spellcraft +2, Tumble +3, Use Magic Device +4

Feats: Quick Draw

Special Abilities: +1 Morale Bonus on Saves vs. Fear, +1 Racial Attack Bonus with Thrown Weapons, Bardic Music (3 Perform Ranks Level), Bardic Knowledge

Spells Per Day: 3/1

Spells Known:
Level 0: Detect Magic, Flare, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand. Prestidigitation
Level 1: Expeditious Retreat, Hypnotism, Charm Person

Armor, Weapons, and Items of Interest:
Leather Armor
Several Daggers
1 Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds(x1)
Wishbone's Brew of Health (x1)
Wishbone's Brew of Speed (x1)
Wishbone's Brew of Stealth(x1)
Sling and Bullets
Bag of Tricks
Sap
"Pack's Pack"*
1 set of very fine 2 sided clothing

"Pack's Pack"
This not so simple backpack is a nonmagical item that is festooned with pouches, compartments, flaps, and the like. Pack is very familiar with most of the items in the pack, though he still is surprised from time to time as to what he finds in it. The backpack is designed in such a way that Pack is able to use his Quick Draw feat in order to draw items from it as a free action.

LiVeWiRe

ENergetic Comm. Supporter
In response to requests by some of our readers, we have decided to start posting stat blocks of characters from the Small Beginnings Story Hour (we really need to get this group a cool name - I guess we should get to the part of the story hour where they do something worthy of having a name).

But, as an added bonus, we've already decided to throw in - with no extra fee - an overview of Icemist itself, including NPC descriptions, recent events, and (if we can get it scanned properly) a map of Icemist and the surrounding territory. We're also going to use this venue to stat magic items that need explanation.

Thanks for acting on this request from your readers! I also really like the 'added bonuses @ no extra fee'! ;)

"Pack's Pack" and the use of Quick Draw is absolutely great! :D Did he take the feat primarily for that reason?

dshai527

First Post
The quickdraw feat was taken with the backpack in mind. Since the character was created, we have come across the packrat feat which fits the character as well, but that is for later levels.

Last edited:

Corwyn

First Post
Just having read the story today and now looking over the character I miss two items.
Where is the cloak and crossbow he got from lizon's gifts at the shimmering sword ?

Just wondering.

Bubbalicious

First Post
Cloak and X-Bow

I guess I might as well admit now that I play Pack, especially since my fellow gamers figured it out finally from my posts on the story hour. In answer to your post, Corwyn, Pack IS wearing the cloak, and DOES have possession of the crossbow (though he hasn't to this day figured out how to use it properly), but the stats and items are from the beginning of the campaign. He also has another couple of items, one of which we really haven't explored in game yet, and the other will come through in the story (it even saves our butts once)!!! As for the use of quick draw, it stemmed almost completely from his use of his Backpack growing up, which I'm sure Enk and D'S (kinda like B.S.) want to explore in a more narrative manner in the story (i.e. I'm not saying too much without their O.K.). In many ways, though, Pack is the comic relief of the group!

fett527

First Post
Ashrem

Here are Ashrem's stats, post with any questions!!!

Ashrem (Surname held at this time)
Panther Feloine Male Rogue 2; medium sized humanoid (feloine); HD 2d6; hps 12; Init +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Imp Int); Speed 30 ft; AC 15 (+3 Dex, +2 Armor);Attack: BAB: +1; +2 (Masterwork Short Sword), +1 (Quarterstaff), +1 (Dagger Melee), +4 (Dagger Thrown), +4 (Crossbow, Light), +5 (Crossbow, Light w/ Masterwork Bolts); Dmg: 1d6 (19-20, x2) (Masterwork Short Sword), 1d6 (17-20, x2) (Razor, Masterwork, Keen Short Sword), 1d6 (x2) (Quarterstaff), 1d4 (19-20 x2) (Dagger), 1d8 (19-20 x2) (Crossbow, Light); SV Fort +0, Ref
+6, Will +2; AL CG; Str 11, Dex 16, Con 11, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 10.

Languages: Feloine*, Torian*, Claw Chant*, Ionian, Demonic, Dwarven

Skills: Appraise +3, Balance +7, Bluff +5, Climb +4, Craft (Sculpture) +8, Decipher Script +4, Disable Device +4, Disguise +5/+7, Escape Artist +3, Forgery +3, Heal +2, Hide +9, Intimidate +2, Intuit Direction +3, Jump +7, Listen +4, Move Silently +9, Open Lock +4, Pick Pockets +6, Read Lips +6, Ride +3, Scry +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +4, Spot +4, Tumble +10, Use Rope
+3, Wilderness Lore +2

Feats: Improved Initiative, Exotic Weapon- Feloine Battle Claws*,****

Special Abilities: Rogue Weapon Proficiencies, Sneak Attack 1d6, use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20, use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps, Evasion

Armor, Weapons, and Items of Interest:
Leather Armor
Masterwork Short sword
Razor, Masterwork, Keen Short Sword**
Several Daggers
Quarterstaff
Crossbow, Light
Bolt Case x2
Bolt Case of 12 Silver, Masterwork, Blessed bolts
Backpack of Holding- 2ft.x4ft., always weighs 15 lbs.
Potion of Cure Light Wounds(x2)
Flask of Holy Water(x2)
Wishbone's Brew of Health*** (x1) adds d8 hit points and d4+1 str for d10 rounds after which you lose same str for same number of rounds
Wishbone's Brew of Speed*** (x1) gain and extra partial action per round plus d4+1 dex for d10 rounds, user must make a fort save dc 16 or suffer hallucinations during effects Wishbone's Brew of Stealth*** (x1) wait and see, it's worth it
Disguise Kit
Beggar's Outfit (tattered cloak, clothes and rags)

* Bonuses at time of creation
** Razor - a single edged short blade made from a mysterious metal. The
blade does not detect magic but it is amazingly sharp and needs no sharpening to keep this keen edge. It looks to be of dwarven make, but holds no clan markings, nor does it fit any known forging methods. Stranger yet is the weapon's ability to hit incorporeal creatures and creatures with DR/+1 despite its lack of magic.

*** Wishbone was trying to combine several potions into one quick vial. What he accomplished was a short-term effect with drawbacks. He died before perfecting any of his brews.
**** Feloine Battle Claws - Three curved blades that strap to the wrist. They have a hinge that allows them to fold back along the arm when not in use. Dmg d6 (X2), Slashing, +2 to climb checks.

fett527

First Post
Feloine Racial Abilities and Traits

This was posted to the Story Hour originally:

Here they are!
OK, I am posting the racial traits for the panther feloine race which is what Ashrem is. Please note that there are other feloine subraces besides the panthers and where we specifically say panther feloine those traits are only applicable to the panther. All other traits are applicable to all feloines. We toiled for awhile on deciding these traits and keeping them playable and not overpowering. We did testing before we started the campaign and so far things have gone well during actual play as well. Please feel free to comment and ask questions. Thanks for the interest!

PANTHER FELOINE RACIAL TRAITS
•+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution: Panther feloines are very graceful. This makes them more adept at stealth and ranged combat.
•Medium-size: As medium-size creatures, panther feloines have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
•Feloine base speed is 30 feet
•Low-light Vision: Feloines can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish detail under these conditions.
•Natural Weapons: Claws-1d3/1d3 Bite-1d4 A feloine is never unarmed because of their natural weapons. They are still restricted by all multiple attack rules that apply.
•Scent ability: Per the Monstrous Manual . A feloine has a heightened sense of smell that allows him to track foes and detect enemies.
•+2 racial bonus on saving throws vs. illusions. The feloines increased sensitivity to smells makes him less susceptible to magical illusions.
•-2 racial negative to saving throws against olfactory based spells. The same sensitivity becomes detrimental against spells such as Stinking Cloud.
•+2 racial bonus to Hide, Balance and Move silently. Panther feloines are a nimble race and therefore are more adept at stealth. Their tail allows them ability to steady themselves more readily.
•Climbing: A feloine's claws allow him to climb more easily on surfaces without handholds. A feloine gains a +5 circumstance bonus to Climb checks on smooth surfaces. He is able climb as if he had handholds.
•Jumping: When a feloine attempts a Jump check his distance is 1.5 times that of normal humanoids.
•Automatic Languages: Regional, Feloine.
•Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass panther feloine’s rogue class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing. A panther’s increased abilities in stealth, climbing and balancing make’s him an excellent Rogue.

Black Bard

First Post
Ashrem...

Ashrem was quite interesting, but one thing in special caught my attention... What`s this "Claw Chant" listed in the languages?? It`s not the racial tongue per se, right??

Those"battle claws"...Why he have it for free?? If it`s a racial bonus it`s not listed on the "feloine" Fett posted...

One last thing...How you rolled for the stats???

Enk&D'Shai

First Post
Stats were rolled using the standard 4d6 six times method, dropping the lowest d6 of course. Racial adjustments are then added and so forth...... to make things interesting though, you only got one roll and it was done at the table for all the group to see. Felt like a vegas gambling night, come on 18, lucky 18.

As for the "free stuff", I (D'shai) like to give some history feats or skills for free depending on good backgrounds and contacts lists. As you will see as the story hour progresses many of the past deeds of the characters will come back to haunt them. The weapon pro was given because Fett decided that his feloine came from the main island, the Mist Isle, that the feloines originated from (more on this will come out in the story later) and he was part of the militia, so I let him have that gift. It was a favorite weapon of other feloines that he had played and so I gave this one the option too, but I didn't allow him to start with the weapons, they would have to be earned.

edit/ Sorry forgot the claw chant, This is the silent language that the feloine spies and their allies use. /end edit

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases