Icemist and Beyond: Characters from Small Beginnings

Black Bard

First Post
fett527 said:

Just think Thieves Cant from 2nd Ed.

That's exactly what I thought...Anyway, very interesting...

Felt like a vegas gambling night, come on 18, lucky 18.

Yah, I know exactly what you are talking about, until very recently we always rolled like this, but it always gave great disparities in character power...Now I've fixed a total bonus in +8, and they distribute this with some other criteria...

dshai527

First Post
We embrace disparity in characters. I know it sounds odd, and we have had our player spoilers who need to be a bada$$ but we enjoy playing each character no matter what the stats are vs another players stats. It was actually at a point for awhile that we just chose stats based on how we viewed our character, like you would for an NPC and you set the emotion level high so the stronger ones feel the need to protect the weaker ones. (this is actually more of a handicap than being the weaker one)

I know that I was blessed with the gift of rolling very well (Yes Enk I know John's campaign excluded) and Enk knows all about low rolls, but some of my favorite characters I asked the DM to lower my stats because they didn't fit the character. (I once had a DM tell me 'no' that I rolled the 18/00 str and I had to keep it)I for one was not real impressed when they introduced parity to the classes, i liked being the fighter or thief with all the high level MU's. Enk on the other hand just seems to be able to play a low stated character and make god-like PC's gringe in fear. As you can tell by the story hour, we love roleplay and we usually let it influence our charcaters perceptions of those around them, regardless of stats.

As a DM it is harder to plan encounters with verying levels of stats, but that is the way the world works. Sometimes the fight is real easy and other times they are running or hiding or both, and sometimes you run becuase everyone else has, even though you are kicking butt.

Hopefully you will see in this game that everyone's stats seemed to be about equal, with exception maybe to Worm, and we have had a real fun time, but I think we still would have regardless of the stats.

fett527

First Post
Howdy!

Well, everyone it seems I will be taking over control of Icemist and Beyond: Characters from Small Beginnings. There will be a post today of a stat block so keep on the look out!

fett527

First Post
Everyone's favorite Woodsman!

Here are the stats for Ander:

Ander Tobin
Human Male Woodsman 2; medium sized humanoid (human); HD 2d10+4; hps 24; Init +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Speed 30 ft; AC 16 (+2 Dex, +3 Armour, +1 Dodge); Attack: BAB: +2; +5{+6} (MW Staff Single), +1/-3 {+2/-2}(MW Staff as Two Weapons), +4 {+5}(Long Knife), +4 (Mighty Composite Short Bow (+1)); Dmg: 1d6+3 (x2) (MW Staff Single), 1d6+2/1d6+1 (x2) (MW Staff as Two Weapons), 1d4+2 (Long Knife), 1d6+1 (Mighty Composite Short Bow (+1)); SV Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +1; AL CG; Str 14, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 14.

Languages: Torian, Ionian

Skills: Animal Empathy +7, Climb +3, Handle Animal +6, Inuit Direction +2, Jump +13, Knowledge (Business) +1, Knowledge (Local, Ion) +1, Knowledge (History) +1, Knowledge (Geography) +1, Listen +3, Move Silently +4, Profession (Vintner) +4, Search +1, Speak Language (Torian) +1, Spot +5, Swim +3, Wilderness Lore +5

Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative (virtual feat, only when in light armor), Mobility, Tracking (virtual feat)

Special Abilities: Bonus Feats, Favored Terrain: Woodlands (Skill Bonuses while in favored terrain, +1/2 Dex bonus to melee attacks against humanoids in favored terrain and against all Animals in all terrain), Virtual Feat (Improved Initiative when in light armor, Tracking),

Spells: None

Regular Weapons/Armor:
Long Knife (Dagger that does Slashing Damage).
Studded Leather Armor.

Magic and Special Items:
Icemantle's Boots: Boots of Striding and Springing (+10 to Jump, double movement).
MW Quarterstaff.
Mighty Composite Shortbow (+1).
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds (x1).
Wishbone's Brew of Health (x2).
Wishbone's Brew of Stealth (x1).
Wishbone's Brew of Speed (x1).
Antitoxin (x1)

With the creation of Ander we had the issue of the Ranger to deal with. Enk wasn't completely enamored of the Ranger class being representative of what he really wanted Ander to be about. Dsahi527 and I agreed the Ranger had it's place, but not as the type of outdoors fighter Enkhidu had in mind. So, we looked for an alternative and we happened upon the Woodsman from the Wheel of Time setting. This class held to Enkhidu's vision and everything seemed to be pretty balanced. The only thing we tweaked was saving throws and we decided to use the Ranger saves because the Saves in Wheel of Time are lower than normal because of the setting – magic is super powerful. All we did was up the saving throws to normal for a Ranger in standard D&D.
For the Ranger, the class still exists (Icemantle for example) in the world, but we view it as more a protector in any environment than an actual "woodsman". You could have a ranger in a city for example, but not a woodsman.

fett527

First Post
Torian

For those of you keeping score, Torian is our Common equivalent and is known by all characters. The kingdom of Tor is the northern kingdom to which Icemist belongs.

LiVeWiRe

ENergetic Comm. Supporter
I find it very interesting that Ashrem possesses the Craft (Sculpture) skill!

That has me even more interested in Ashrem's past! :D

I am currently playing a (human) rogue who has the same skill--which I think is extremely ironic!

Also, just want to make sure I'm clear on something here...

The Rogue is the preferred class for the Panther Feloine race and not all feloines, correct?

Thanks! And keep the info coming! ;)

Last edited:

LiVeWiRe

ENergetic Comm. Supporter
Fett,

Any chance you could post a quick rundown on each character and their respective player(s)?

Something like...

Fett--Ashrem
Bubbalicious--Pack
etc.

Thanks!

fett527

First Post
LiVeWiRe said:
I find it very interesting that Ashrem possesses the Craft (Sculpture) skill!

That has me even more interested in Ashrem's past! :D

It will come out eventually. Not everything has come out in game yet so you'll have to be in suspense for awhile longer.

Also, just want to make sure I'm clear on something here...

The Rogue is the preferred class for the Panter Feloine race and not all feloines, correct?

Thanks! And keep the info coming! ;)

Yes, the panther feloine's preferred class is Rogue. There are other subraces that have different preferred classes. Thanks a lot for your interest and keep the questions coming!

Remove ads