Icemist and Beyond: Characters from Small Beginnings

Badger

First Post
Stats and Other OOC Stuff...

While I must admit, I am one of the masses who can't wait to see the most unlikely of all barbarians, in the mean time, if the list of items the group has passed might be sent out via private e-mail, as well as the juicy secrets behind them, I'd like to throw my name in the hat.

The home e-mail is DevAid2of4@aol.com...

No pressure as always, just lots of enjoyment from all you guys...:)

Thanks and bring on the goods...

Badger

dshai527

First Post
Normally I wouldn't hesitate to send these items over for you to have a look at, but many of them I keep inserting back into the game, so you'll just have to wait and see if they find them the second, third, forth or fifth time. Yes sometimes it takes that many tries. It's like they are always scared to search, you know, like I always have monsters and villians hunting them down. Go figure.

To give you more of an item taste though, I will be giving the stats of some of our items from past campaigns to fett for him to post. I think you will really enjoy these, I know that we did.:D

Last edited:

Badger

First Post
Items...

Well, as patience is a virtue the Navy has taught me all too well, I'll bide my time and hope they find them soon..:)

And the thought that they would be scared to look around for things in a game you are running is odd, it isn't like you had intelligent rats and goblins who could fight as well as most beginning rangers...*L*

Can't wait to get the teaser though...

Badger

fett527

First Post
Magic Items

OK, here are some of dshai's magic items with comments a la fett.

Arrow of Entangle – no damage, ranged touch attack. The arrow grows vines upon a successful touch attack and entangles a victim of medium size or less. Larger creatures loose Dex bonus to AC but are otherwise unaffected. (Reflex save DC 15 to avoid) Once entangled, a creature must act as if he or she is pinned by a 20 Str opponent (BAB +5). A successful escape artist check or grapple check negate the effect.

This is the only item on this list you will see in Small Beginnings (so far). Very usefull item at lower levels. Ander makes very good use of these as you will eventually see.

Pin & Needle – A rapier and dagger (Main-gauche actually) combination, Pin & Needle are a swashbucklers dream. When these two weapons are wielded together they act as defenders, if the event is particularly brave or daring the blades may double their bonus.
Pin – dagger +2, keen d4 17-20 x2 grants the user the expertise feat
Needle – Rapier +2, keen d6 15-20 x2 grants the user the improved disarm feat, if needle is ever disarmed it returns to its wielder’s hand at the beginning of his next turn if he is within 10ft.

The Pin and Needle belonged to a Swashbuckling NPC named Stiletto who lived in the free coastal town of Oscourt. I still swear he actually believed he had to utter HA-HAAA! or HO-HOOO! before every combat to be successful. Either that or dshai just really loved saying those phrases. It wouldn't have been so bad had I not been playing a Swashbuckler at the time and was shown up rather handily by Stiletto more the once.

ToothGrinder – club d6+5 x2 this ivory club seems to be carved from a large tooth of some sort. ToothGrinder is magically enhanced to always hit with the power of an ogre regardless of the wielders strength. Treat as if the wielder had a 21 STR, but for damage purposes only. The club replaces any strength bonus the wielder might have for damage. All other bonuses still apply. (Specialization, etc)

One of Enkhidu's characters used this weapon. The same one as a matter of fact that had the Gauntlets of Ogrishness...after he lost them of course.

The Pearls – the pearls that make up this twin set are perfect specimens of the prized stone. One is large, about one inch in diameter and the other is tiny, about 1/10 on an inch in diameter. When the larger stone is held the user may transport himself (and his gear) without error to the location of the smaller stone (a standard action), or he may recall the smaller stone to his hand (a free action). When transporting himself, the user always appears in the closest possible location that has enough open space to accommodate him, though not necessarily with a place to stand or a friendly environment. (If the pearl was buried underground and the closet space was filled with toxic gas, or underwater.) If the user is attempting to teleport others with him, or large amounts of gear the pearl becomes unstable and errors may occur. (Familiars do not count as they share a life force with their master) The chance for failure is 10% for each extra life force or 100lbs of gear. (A person trying to teleport with his druid friend, 2 animal companions and their gold statue (100lbs) would have a 40% chance of failure.) A failed teleport may (70%) not work at all or (30%) drop them somewhere else, usually between the two stones. All people/things to be transported must be within 5 feet of the user and be touching in some manner. The pearls have no range but the DM may wish to impose multiple failure checks if the distance is large. It does work between planes but only with a single passenger.

History: The pearls were originally created by an Arch mage as an easy way to travel. He would give the smaller pearl to his owl familiar and then teleport himself out when the familiar had reached its destination. They were later stolen by a master thief who would give the smaller one to his prey and then while invisible teleport himself into their home in the dead of night to loot it.

I had a character with these Pearls and let me tell you they were awesome. Put the small Pearl some place safe before adventuring, then use it as a last resort before impending death or disaster. I tried to get creative with them as well. For instance, we had a party member at the bottom of a deep pit battling some nastys alone. We were above for some reason and we had to get down fast. I dropped the small pearl and we teleported down. Getting back out wasn't so easy, but hey who has time to think that far ahead when a friend needs to be saved. Hmmm...sounds like who has time to loot when there are children to be saved. Also, I had them fail to dire consequences, so they are balanced.

Dunlor’s Guantlets – designed by the immortal mage Dunlor, the Lightning Lord, as he attempted to prove that all life was derived of the one true element. The gauntlets are made of mithral and each bear a distinctive mark. If used together they also grant the wielder a Lightning resistance of 15, but they do not need to be used together to grant the main powers. In most cases the gloves were used by two separate individuals who were unaware of the existence of the other.
Left: Golden Gauntlet with the raised design of a large oak tree on the back. This item allows the user to restore hit points to a target with a simple touch. The hit points restored can be up to level x CHR modifier per day, unless the Right glove has run out of stored energy. With a melee touch attack the points used may harm undead.
Right: Silver Gauntlet with a raised Skull design on the back. This item allows the wearer to make a melee touch attack to drain hp. The hit points drained can be up to level x CHR modifier per day. It can store up to 200 hit points. Once at maximum it must be used before more HP can be drained. It can be drained by use of the Left glove.

DM Note: In my world the Right Gauntlet has disappeared and the left seems to have an endless supply of energy.

Right, Dunlor's gauntlets. Well, let's just say I hope we get to tell the story someday of what happened to the Right Gauntlet. We still (and it's been years in game and out) look at this as the most fun gaming session we ever had.

I hope this list satisfies for now. Post comments, thoughts and questions at will.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Sorry for not commenting earlier, fett.

You guys obviously put a great deal of thought into the magic items that are included in your games and I think that is excellent. It gives the items much more personality and doubtlessly makes the characters more attached to them.

We should try to do this more often too. But I've got to give credit to our current DM, The Lone Corndog, he's doing a pretty good job of providing interesting items. The most interesting so far is "The Stinky Bag of Holding".

The SBoH was apparently used as a latrine at a monastery. The facilities consisted of a hole in a bench with a Bag of Holding underneath to catch the waste. Then, when the bag eventually filled up (which I'm sure took quite some time), it was emptied into their compost for use in the gardens. The monastery was eventually abandoned and sat vacant for a long time until our party ousted some goblins living there and recovered the bag. But it has retained a certain faint but distinct stench. Suffice it to say that while we like the bag for how it eases our heavy loads, we don't store any of our food in it.

HULK

First Post
Re: WORM SMASH!!

HULK thank Fett for stats on Worm!

Now HULK want Worm back in story!

HULK want to help WORM take on "Goblin Nation" with Shimmering Sword!

LiVeWiRe

ENergetic Comm. Supporter
Re: Magic Items

First of all, Thanks! for the info Fett! And, you are appreciated here! ;)

I'm going to comment on some of the items separately due to the length of the original post...or maybe the real reason is that I'm 'chasing' Crothian's post count! ;)

fett527 said:

Pin & Needle – A rapier and dagger (Main-gauche actually) combination, Pin & Needle are a swashbucklers dream. When these two weapons are wielded together they act as defenders, if the event is particularly brave or daring the blades may double their bonus.
Pin – dagger +2, keen d4 17-20 x2 grants the user the expertise feat
Needle – Rapier +2, keen d6 15-20 x2 grants the user the improved disarm feat, if needle is ever disarmed it returns to its wielder’s hand at the beginning of his next turn if he is within 10ft.

The Pin and Needle belonged to a Swashbuckling NPC named Stiletto who lived in the free coastal town of Oscourt. I still swear he actually believed he had to utter HA-HAAA! or HO-HOOO! before every combat to be successful. Either that or dshai just really loved saying those phrases. It wouldn't have been so bad had I not been playing a Swashbuckler at the time and was shown up rather handily by Stiletto more the once.

My guess would be that Dshai just really loved saying those phrases! :D

Either way, a cool pair of magical weapons!

Fett, did your swashbuckler ever defeat 'Stiletto'?

LiVeWiRe

fett527 said:

The Pearls – the pearls that make up this twin set are perfect specimens of the prized stone. One is large, about one inch in diameter and the other is tiny, about 1/10 on an inch in diameter. When the larger stone is held the user may transport himself (and his gear) without error to the location of the smaller stone (a standard action), or he may recall the smaller stone to his hand (a free action). When transporting himself, the user always appears in the closest possible location that has enough open space to accommodate him, though not necessarily with a place to stand or a friendly environment. (If the pearl was buried underground and the closet space was filled with toxic gas, or underwater.) If the user is attempting to teleport others with him, or large amounts of gear the pearl becomes unstable and errors may occur. (Familiars do not count as they share a life force with their master) The chance for failure is 10% for each extra life force or 100lbs of gear. (A person trying to teleport with his druid friend, 2 animal companions and their gold statue (100lbs) would have a 40% chance of failure.) A failed teleport may (70%) not work at all or (30%) drop them somewhere else, usually between the two stones. All people/things to be transported must be within 5 feet of the user and be touching in some manner. The pearls have no range but the DM may wish to impose multiple failure checks if the distance is large. It does work between planes but only with a single passenger.

History: The pearls were originally created by an Arch mage as an easy way to travel. He would give the smaller pearl to his owl familiar and then teleport himself out when the familiar had reached its destination. They were later stolen by a master thief who would give the smaller one to his prey and then while invisible teleport himself into their home in the dead of night to loot it.

I had a character with these Pearls and let me tell you they were awesome. Put the small Pearl some place safe before adventuring, then use it as a last resort before impending death or disaster. I tried to get creative with them as well. For instance, we had a party member at the bottom of a deep pit battling some nastys alone. We were above for some reason and we had to get down fast. I dropped the small pearl and we teleported down. Getting back out wasn't so easy, but hey who has time to think that far ahead when a friend needs to be saved. Hmmm...sounds like who has time to loot when there are children to be saved. Also, I had them fail to dire consequences, so they are balanced.

These items are way cool!!! The mischief my rogue could create / encounter with these nifty little items! :D

And they would indeed make an excellent 'last resort' escape route if needed! ;)

If you had them "fail to dire consequences" Fett, I hope that it was quick and painless for your character!

LiVeWiRe

fett527 said:

Dunlor’s Guantlets – designed by the immortal mage Dunlor, the Lightning Lord, as he attempted to prove that all life was derived of the one true element. The gauntlets are made of mithral and each bear a distinctive mark. If used together they also grant the wielder a Lightning resistance of 15, but they do not need to be used together to grant the main powers. In most cases the gloves were used by two separate individuals who were unaware of the existence of the other.
Left: Golden Gauntlet with the raised design of a large oak tree on the back. This item allows the user to restore hit points to a target with a simple touch. The hit points restored can be up to level x CHR modifier per day, unless the Right glove has run out of stored energy. With a melee touch attack the points used may harm undead.
Right: Silver Gauntlet with a raised Skull design on the back. This item allows the wearer to make a melee touch attack to drain hp. The hit points drained can be up to level x CHR modifier per day. It can store up to 200 hit points. Once at maximum it must be used before more HP can be drained. It can be drained by use of the Left glove.

DM Note: In my world the Right Gauntlet has disappeared and the left seems to have an endless supply of energy.

Right, Dunlor's gauntlets. Well, let's just say I hope we get to tell the story someday of what happened to the Right Gauntlet. We still (and it's been years in game and out) look at this as the most fun gaming session we ever had.

Interesting that a mage would want to make an item like this...

But, they are cool nonetheless! :D

And, I'd love to hear the story about the fate of Dunlor's Right Gauntlet!

Remove ads