Martial Power: Beast Mastery

fissionessence

First Post
So has anyone tried a beast mastery ranger out yet? I've just read through it, and it looks like on a given round either the beast or the ranger will just be standing there to grant a flanking bonus.

It all seems balanced just fine, but kind of boring unless you're using one of the few encounter or daily powers that allow you both to attack (or unless you have the beast mastery epic destiny at 21st level).

Then again, I haven't actually played with it, so maybe it works out fine. I just imagine the beast standing there most of the time, glowering menacingly instead of actually doing anything.

~

Morgan_Scott82

First Post
The fact that either the ranger acts or the beast acts is essential to retain balance. Everything in D&D boils down to its effect on the action economy, if both the ranger and the beast do something every round that tilts the equation firmly out of balance.

Guyanthalas

First Post
So has anyone tried a beast mastery ranger out yet? I've just read through it, and it looks like on a given round either the beast or the ranger will just be standing there to grant a flanking bonus.

It all seems balanced just fine, but kind of boring unless you're using one of the few encounter or daily powers that allow you both to attack (or unless you have the beast mastery epic destiny at 21st level).

Then again, I haven't actually played with it, so maybe it works out fine. I just imagine the beast standing there most of the time, glowering menacingly instead of actually doing anything.

~

While I agree with the logic of "what am I doing, or what is the bear doing" question, it serves a very solid purpose. You don't get 2 characters to play, and shouldn't. Just as with anything summoned, you should have to sacrifice your actions to use the summoned thing. This prevents one player monopolizing time at the game table because s/he has so many things to control.

Here's my question: what's the downside to picking a bear? They have the best HP and damage around.

Well, the obvious downside (as pointed out by the book) is speed. While I'm not positive that its enough of a downside to compensate for the damge. The other factor is the Attack +2 is substantially lower then the other beasts (50% lower at least!), which I think is a much better compensation for the high HP and damage.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I don't receive my books until tomorrow, but I'm curious. Can someone summarize the key differences between the types of beasts.

Guyanthalas

First Post
I don't receive my books until tomorrow, but I'm curious. Can someone summarize the key differences between the types of beasts.

They are all vastly different, but HP, movement speed (and types!), and attack damage are the main points differing slightly from beast to beast. They have stats, and go up in level as you do (and gain stat modifiers when you do).

Rechan

Adventurer
They are all vastly different, but HP, movement speed (and types!), and attack damage are the main points differing slightly from beast to beast. They have stats, and go up in level as you do (and gain stat modifiers when you do).
Also gain little benefits.

Boars gain speed when charging, and do more damage on a charge.

Snakes and lizards get a bonus to opportunity attacks.

Wolves get +Wisdom Bonus to attacks when they have Combat Advantage.

fissionessence

First Post
While I agree with the logic of "what am I doing, or what is the bear doing" question, it serves a very solid purpose. You don't get 2 characters to play, and shouldn't. Just as with anything summoned, you should have to sacrifice your actions to use the summoned thing. This prevents one player monopolizing time at the game table because s/he has so many things to control.

I totally agree, but it seems like the beast gets very few options to actually do anything. Like I said, it all seems balanced, but a little stagnant on the battlefield when the beast doesn't do anything until you use an encounter power (and maybe not even then).

~

Remove ads