[4e] IG's Herald of Discord [RECRUITING CLOSED]

industrygothica

Adventurer
The tiefling Oriah slid the book from the shelf slowly, cautiously. The broken and blackened horn on the left side of her head ensured she’d never be fooled by a simple trap again; every move she made was a slow and deliberate process, much to the dismay of her companions. Still, ever since the blast their quest has been remarkably free from surprises.

One breath at a time she drew the tome closer, revealing more of the empty space behind it. Empty space, that was the kicker—too much room to muck things up with tiny switches and invisible wires. “Just another inch,” she said with a hushed whisper, her words breaking the rhythm of the six pounding heartbeats and her and her companions.

“Get on with it then.” She didn’t bother turning to see who said it, but drew a breath through gritted teeth as the book fell into her waiting hand.

“Got it!” Oriah said, pleased. She held the spine up to the torchlight, cocking her one-horned head to read the flowing script.

“What a curious title,” she said. “The Herald of Discord...hmph.” She gave the others a wink and tossed the book in the air, letting it land her open palm. “Let’s see what it says, huh?”

“Wait!”

But it was too late. She opened the cover and put her finger down on the page, shaped her mouth to form the first word.

The heat from the blast may have rivaled that of the eldest of dragons, but it was gone as quick as it came. One by one they awoke, each looking at the other in shock or horror—or maybe a little of both. One by one they stood and righted themselves, with no words to take in the scene.

It was gone, all of it. Where once there was a shoppe filled with shelves of books, where there was a large table at which stood an accomplished thief, there was nothing. There were no books, and there was no table; there was not even a shell of a blown out shoppe.

There was no tiefling.

There was only blackness. Invisible walls melded into an invisible floor on which there were no echoes of footfalls. There was no obvious source of light, though each could be seen clearly as if it were day.

And in the distance, suspended in the nothingness, was one simple wooden door with a golden handle. Simple but ominous words were etched in a flowing common script at eye level.

Adventure Awaits.
-----------------------------------
Like a bad dream these ideas plague me until I just have act upon them. I truly have no business running a third game here, but I can't seem to help myself. It seems that there are quite a few people looking for a 4e game anyway, so maybe this will help a little.

Details
This will not be a game of plots and storylines. Think Quantum Leap/Sliders meets LoTR. The Herald of Discord has brought you into this twisted little dimension, and will only let you out when it feels like it.

What this does is give me the opportunity to set up multiple scenarios in an assortment of settings and tie them together without having to incorporate any logic to do so. One encounter may take place deep within a sweltering jungle, and the very next in an arctic wasteland. All you have to do is walk through the door. It's just getting to the door that may prove somewhat difficult.

Note also that this is not the only game that I am currently running. If the load gets too heavy and I have to drop one of my games, this one will be first on the chopping block. Though hopefully that won't happen.

Posting Guidelines
While the encounters may reset on the other side of the door, the characters do not. I would like for this game to focus as much on storytelling from the characters' POV as well as actual game play. Simple posts like "My character attacks the goblin and moves to square N17," won't cut it. I'm not asking for literary masterpieces here, but a little effort would be appreciated.

Use of a spell-checker would additionally be appreciated, but we won't throw you in the stocks for an occasional typo.

I have an unfortunate tendency update games rather sporadically, and don't ask anything else from my players. If you haven't acted by the time I'm ready to update, I'll simply NPC your character with the most logical action (typically a basic attack if in a combat situation) and move on.

Lengthy absences should be forewarned.

Creation Guidelines
Level 2 - This is to keep in line with the above narrative, in that you've obviously been adventuring together for some time.

22 point buy
Races: PHB only. No exceptions.
Classes: PHB only, or barbarian from Dragon Magazine playtest article.
Other allowed sources: None

Start with:
1 magic item of 3rd level
1 magic item of 2nd level
1 magic item of 1st level
360 gold pieces

Other rules for starting above 1st: DMG 143.

House Rule
Do not track experience points. Characters will gain levels as appropriate for the story.

I'm sure there's more that I've forgotten. Any questions, ask them here.

Accepted PCs
1st spot - Tiefling Paladin, garyh
2nd spot - Starlock or Ranger, Charwoman Gene
3rd spot - Eladrin Warlock, Reveille
4th spot - ??, Shayuri
5th spot - Cleric, Nac Mac Feegle

-IG

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
I'd be very interested in running a Tiefling Paladin in this game. Are you using the default pantheon? If so, the character would probably serve the Raven Queen.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I'd be very interested in running a Tiefling Paladin in this game. Are you using the default pantheon? If so, the character would probably serve the Raven Queen.

Yes, all character creation rules are from the Player's Handbook, 4th edition. I may throw some stuff in later from other sources, but that definitely shouldn't be considered the norm.

Would your character be any relation to Oriah?

Seems like the kind of game Reveille is looking for. :)

I went to link it there for him, and saw that you had already done it. Thank you.

Oh, I'd love to run a non dwarf character for once...

Maybe a starlock or a elf ranger or something

I find myself running a lot of dwarves lately as well. Must be a safety-net thing; if all else fails, just revert to a Scottish accent and call it a day. ;)

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

** Top post edited with character info

garyh

First Post
I wouldn't mind having my character by Oriah's brother. It'd certainly give him a hook. Oh, and I've got a name for him - Khemnos Darksong.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I wouldn't mind having my character by Oriah's brother. It'd certainly give him a hook. Oh, and I've got a name for him - Khemnos Darksong.

Consider it done. It'll be interesting, a paladin and a thief being brother and sister. Or would have been, anyway... poor Oriah, blown up like she is.

Do you think she found her other horn in the Shadowfell?

-IG

Shayuri

First Post
Nnngh...another IG game...I want to playyyyyy...

I'm goofily tempted to see if I can create Talashia in 4e...but perhaps that's an exercise for a later time, since I've still got her in one of your other games now. :)

Besides Oni wants a wizard...

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Sulannus Phaedran - Eladrin rogue or ranged ranger...MAYBE to MC a bit with wizard or warlord, which is a bit goofy I know, but she's royalty damnit. :)

Kuma! - Dragonborn fighter (if I can get details, the barbarian stuff might be good) or warlord. Big, gruff, engine of DOOM!

Ilshana - Human rogue/feylock multiclass. The feylock is s'posed to represent fey blood in the heritage. Fights evil with her Sparklyknife! It is...sparkly.

Remove ads