So tell me about Dragon Warriors

dm4hire

Explorer
I'm looking forward to Dragon Warriors which just released, but I have to admit that I know nothing about the system or game. Anyone ever play it or at least read it that could fill me in on what it's like? Has anyone got a glimpse of the new edition yet and able to describe the new book?

Thanks.

TheSleepyKing

First Post
I haven't seen the new version of the game (I'm definitely getting hold of it when I can, though!), but the original is a very elegant rules-light fantasy system. Because it's rules light, it's easy to learn and simple to run, a little like Savage Worlds -- there aren't complex character options or even the notion of skills. Aside from his stats and health points, one 1st rank sorcerer is much the same as another.

The core mechanism is very similar to D20, but without the endless modifiers. For melee attacks, for example, each character has an attack skill and defense skill. To hit, the the attacker just has to roll a D20 -- if the result is less than the difference between his attack and his opponents defence, he hits. This mechanism is carried through the four different opposing elements: attack vs defence; magic attack vs magic defence (for direct magic effects like mind control); stealth vs perception (for thievery) and speed vs evasion (mostly for indirect spells like fireball) -- though the latter uses 2d10 instead of D20, IIRC.

Aside from the rules, though, the true appeal of the system is the evocative setting. Although the rules are generic fantasy, the default world is really compelling -- somewhat Arthurian, with a definite high and romantic fantasy element. There are Elves and Dwarves, and players can even play them, but they're not your D&D "humans with pointy ears or beards". Elves, for example, have no soul and cannot be ressurected -- they're capricious and alien, and players aren't really encouraged to play them.

I'd recommend the system to anyone, but it's especially good for beginners or when you just want to jump into the action. D&D players might miss the complexity and multitude of options available, and the game can be brutal at 5th rank and higher (sorcerers, though limited in the number of spells they can cast, have some really nasty effects at their disposal), but it's fun, it's easy and it actually manages to maintain verisimilitude without becoming complex.

Aus_Snow

First Post
The new version is simply a hardcover compilation of the original six paperback novel format rulebooks, neatened and reorganised, with - as far as I'm aware - very few changes to the Professions (i.e., Classes) and so on. Not that I've seen it yet, but as soon as it's available here, I'm buying two copies.

The game *is* pretty brutal at just about any Rank (aka Character Level), especially given that HP (Health Points in this case) remain so uniformly low.

It has a warrior-mage Profession (named Warlock) by default, along with a Knight, Barbarian, Sorcerer, Mystic, Assassin and Elementalist (five types of these).

Combat is fast, and quite elegant really. The Armour Bypass Roll (following the Attack roll, and followed by set damage*) is part of the reason for this elegance, IMO. A nice touch.

As skills are entirely absent, ability checks and percentile chances are the order of the day. Things somewhat akin to feats kick in at 8th Rank (apart from the abilities Professions have throughout the Ranks) - these are called Skills of the Mighty.

Names (of spells, etc.), and descriptions in general, are definitely evocative, I agree. They really help to set the scene, if the kinds of scenes suggested are to your taste.

All in all, it's a game worth trying.

* . . . which is, if one prefers, very easily replaced with variable damage, perhaps like this: 2=d3; 3=d4; 4=d6; 5=d8; 6=d10; 7=d12; and so on.

dm4hire

Explorer
Sounds worthwhile and I'm looking forward to reading the book when it reaches stores; I think it just shipped last week so won't hit stores till this week. I'm comfortable to leave the damage static as mentioned if HP is low. I'm wondering how much of the original system will be redone. I wish Mongoose, or the company actually designing it since Mongoose is just the distributor/publisher, would release a preview for it.

Ydars

Explorer
James Wallis is the guy releasing it through the Flaming Cobra imprint of Mongoose trading as Magum Opus Press.

He is formerly of Hogshead Games; once publishers of Warhammer FRP and is an all around great guy and seems to really know game design.

This is indeed just a re-publication of the six original game-books but I live in hope of more to come in the future.

Aus_Snow

First Post
This is indeed just a re-publication of the six original game-books but I live in hope of more to come in the future.
Actually, if a thread over at RPGnet is a good source of information, there are some changes, apparently. Not very many, according to that info, but some. Bringing the Elementalists up to a level of power equal to the other Professions, for example.

But I haven't heard anything official, for aye or nay, so. . . dunno.

dm4hire

Explorer
I got my copy of DW today. Done a cursory look and have to say I like what I'm seeing so far. A write up in the back indicates that they will be releasing future products to expand on the settings previously published as well as expanding the professions available for play as well as details surrounding them, i.e. societies to belong to and how society works for royalty/noblety, etc.

The sixth book is one of my favourite campaign setting books of all time...never played it as I couldn't get the first book (I only had 2 to 6 for about 15 years, until I got onto teh interwebnets)

Edit: Cooool just ordered the 3 books of the mongoose site....really sux not having an FRPGS within less than a few hours of driving :(

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
Just got my DW corebook in the mail today, have to say after the snooze fest that 4e was to read, it's great to actually open up an rpg that actually makes me what to devote the time to reading it that is necessary to play the game. So far I'm liking what I've read and if anything would compare it's tone and flavor as very Warhammer-esque. In fact I would say this book could easily be to Warhammer FRPG what D&D was to AD&D....I'll post more after I digest it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases