What should be turned into a RPG?

dm4hire

Explorer
So what IP would you like to see turned into a RPG and which publisher should make it? The IP can be based on books, comics, movies, TV shows, or videogames.

I’ll start off with these:

Harry Potter, though most likely “Adventures at Hogwarts” to allow more diversity to the game as focusing IP RPGs around specific people doesn’t seem to work. As for the publisher I’d have to go with White Wolf, even though WotC has the best chance at it. My reason is that the Storytelling system would work best for the setting I think.

True Blood, awesome show mixing monsters and people together. First season just ended. Since the show is mature I’d have to again go with WW as they tend to do better job at mature themed material and aren’t afraid to push the envelope.

Starcraft, the game has been around for a long time and is due for the love it deserves. Keep it with the same subsidiary of WW that’s been doing the WoW RPG. Now that the sequel is finally coming out it’s time this game took the next step.

Jade Empire, amazing game on any console with a lot of material to create a RPG game worth playing and would also be the first product to really give L5R a run for its money. I’d have to give this IP to Green Ronin to create as a stand alone M&M or True20 product.

Your turn.

Last edited:

Recent IP? Hmm...

I'd say the TV show Supernatural, but honestly, it already exists. It's called the World of Darkness core book. ;)

Everything else I'd like to see really isn't all that recent, to be honest. I'd still love to see a setting based on Steven Brust's Jhereg series. (Which I guess is recent, since it's still ongoing, but it didn't start recently.) And I'd still love to see the original Bards' Tale games (not the new version which stole the name and otherwise has nothing to do with the real BT) made into a D&D setting.

I dunno. I'm sure there are others, but right now I'm not thinking of them...

dm4hire

Explorer
Bard's Tale rocked. As for Supernatural, Margaret Weis Productions got the rights to it and is putting it out using the Cortex system. Not sure how it will go, but they did decent work on Serenity and Battlestar Galactica.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I'd say the TV show Supernatural, but honestly, it already exists. It's called the World of Darkness core book. ;)
Hm. Not Hunter the Vigil then? Not that I've played that one, mind you. Or even read it. . . but it sounded like it could do that kind of show with its eyes closed. Er. Or something.

How about The Elder Scrolls? Not sure how it would go down, but I suspect there are a lot of 'crossover consumers' who might be tempted to buy, if it was pretty and readable enough. . . System, I dunno. Stripped down custom d20? Company, even less an idea.

Betote

First Post
I know I'm not the only one who thinks an Order of the Stick RPG (or just Campaign Setting) would rock ;)

Apart from that, maybe a Super Mario RPG, or something based on Final Fantasy VII (the closest to this one would be Eberron). I've always thought Warhammer 40K would be a great setting, and Rogue Trader is coming next summer :)

Serendipity

Explorer
Nothing. I'm personally really sick of everything and it's brother being licensed out to make (often but not always) really lame RPGs. (The one exception I can think of is CoC, but I'm sure there's one or two others....)
But then I don't understand why books and tv shows are adapted to film either (save a desire to make money).
I mean really, could anything have saved this?
AdventuresOfIndianaJonesRPG.jpg

Last edited:

Heroes - The RPG. Maybe it would just need to be as an extra sourcebook for an established Superhero game.

Two action series I like are 24 and Prison Break. I am not sure if they could be made into a good RPG, but being Jack Baur (kicking ass) or Micheal Scofield (planning escapes or heists) woluld be awesome. Maybe in the latter vein, a "Ocean's Eleven" type game might be interesting. A "Heist" RPG seems to be missing so far.

I have recently read Timothy Zahns Black Collar trilogy, and a game along those lines would also be interesting. Sci-Fi, characters are special ops that form a resistance against oppressors.

I have little experience with it (I think I read one book many years ago), but the Ringworld from Niven should also make an interesting RPG.

FriarRosing

First Post
I don't think very many things should be made into RPGs. To me there's a drastic difference between games and all other media. A lot of the problem, in my opinion, is that unless you're playing as the main characters of said book/movie/video game, you're not going to get the right experience. It's not going to feel very Star Trek like if you can't be on the Enterprise as Spock, Kirk or Scotty. It's not going to feel right if you playing Naruto (if you're into that for some reason) and can't play as one of the main characters.

A friend of mine has a good example: Super Mario RPG where you play as characters who aren't Mario, Luigi or any of the other main ones. It'd be incredibly stupid. How would you even do that and be able to call it Mario?

Serendipity

Explorer
I have little experience with it (I think I read one book many years ago), but the Ringworld from Niven should also make an interesting RPG.

Chaosium did one around 1984 or so. It wasn't bad, unless you wanted to run something that wasn't set on the Ringworld, then you were kind of on your own. Nonetheless I recall it as being pretty good (provided you like BRP, which I do, though not as much as I did at the time).

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Halo. I think that would make a cool RPG. Bungie should make it themselves, and release it for free just for fun!

I'd love to see a new James Bond RPG, in the same vein as the original Victory Games version. Who could make it ... I haven't got the faintest idea, actually. The SpyCraft guys?

/M

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases