• Yes

Votes: 67 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • What this has to do with RPG?

Votes: 5 5.9%

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Absolutely. In the debate over what was better: the D&D tv show or movies, I kind of wanted to reply, "They both suck compared to RoLW!" It does a good job of implenting pieces of role playing games onto the screen. The only one I didn't like was Legend of Crystannia.

Also, my first "dates" with my girlfriend (now fiancee) were initiated by, "You want to see Record of Lodoss War? I have the DVDs in my dorm room!" So, yeah... :)

bloodyrose1985

First Post
I really wish that the system that the series came from could be translated and published and sold over here, it would be fun and enjoyable to play the game that the anime came from. There is a Fusion system version of Record but I would still like to play the official game.

Edit: Isn't that the same group who does the music for the .hack// series?

Shroomy

Adventurer
I know it only from reputation (I'm not a huge anime fan by any stretch, but I've watched enough in my day), but I am curious. If I was going to watch some, where would I start?

avin

First Post
I know it only from reputation (I'm not a huge anime fan by any stretch, but I've watched enough in my day), but I am curious. If I was going to watch some, where would I start?

It depends what you like... sci fi? fantasy? I started with Akira... animes are much like movies, some you lobve, some you dislike... and some you will never forget.

I would start with Rurouni Kenshin OVA (Samurai X, but not the TV Series for kids...)... powerful, violent... tragic and sad... very sad... check how it starts:

[ame=http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=R6o8i1mrrNg]YouTube - Rurouni Kenshin OVA 1 part 1[/ame]

... the soundtrack is astonishing beautiful.

If you are into Sci Fi go Ghost in the Shell, movie 1 first, then movie 2, then series

[ame]http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc_jDEvGC7s[/ame]

[ame]http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=kjunGF83pN4&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I really wish that the system that the series came from could be translated and published and sold over here, it would be fun and enjoyable to play the game that the anime came from. There is a Fusion system version of Record but I would still like to play the official game.

The game (Sword World) is a bit math-heavy, a bit clunky, but not bad. Pretty old-school feel.

What is kind of cool is that what EN World knows as "story hours" are a genre of fiction in Japan -- people publish these things for the reading public. IIRC, that's where Lodoss started: as one of these first published "story hours."

Deedlit's player was a (male) Japanese Sci-fi author, for instance.

RobJN

Adventurer
One of my favorites, though that is the opening to the26-episode follow-up TV series, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. The original Lodoss is a 13-part OVA.

I liked the original, lost interest about a third of the way through the TV series, even though that opening is my all time favorite anime opening ever.

bloodyrose: the song (Kiseki no Umi "Sea of Miracles") was written by Yoko Kanno (Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex), not Yuki Kajiura (.hack, Noir)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yoko Kanno (Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex),

Yoko Kanno is hell of awesome, though.

She's pretty much responsible for Cowboy Bebop's soundtrack. My personal musical goddess for that one. ;)

Seriously. Get some of those albums. So good.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

RECORD OF LODOSS WAR was, or at least started as, someone's Basic D&D campaign (at least that's my understanding of the story of its development), so yeah, I like it.

Even if it wasn't, that's what drew me to it and I found myself enjoying it. Dragon slaying, wars, elves, dwarves, clashing swords. Good stuff, and devoid of a lot of tropes that later came to define a lot of popular Japanese cartoons.

Remove ads