Non-martial exploits in Martial Power

pemerton

Legend
This might be old news, but I wondered what anyone else thought of the non-martial exploits in the ranger paragon paths in Martial Power.

The ones I noticed were Arcane utilities and attacks for the Horizon Walker, and a Divine and a Primal utility - the first Primal power in a book?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I like it, and I like that they decided to place it within the Paragon Paths. For me this says that they are giving you more breadth in your character concept where you can sprinkle in a little bit of other Power Sources without having to multiclass. While at the sametime by keeping it in the PPs if someone wants to stay just Martial, it stays that way.

Combinations of this, multiclassing and feats are really helping to be able to build a range of characters that don't fit as neatly into one Power Source.

Cadfan

First Post
1. I like that they restricted these to paragon paths and epic destinies.

2. I don't think they went far enough. I think that using paragon paths to mix power sources and to essentially stand in for multiclassing is something with a lot of potential, and I wouldn't mind seeing it go further.

Shroomy

Adventurer
This isn't the first time it happened either, there was a swordmage PP in the FRPG that used powers with the "Shadow" power source, or at least keyword, since it apparently can mix with Arcane (the Umbriri).

Cadfan

First Post
And in that Dragon article about Eladrin, they had a rogue paragon path that dealt elemental damage with its melee attacks.

Shroomy

Adventurer
And in that Dragon article about Eladrin, they had a rogue paragon path that dealt elemental damage with its melee attacks.

I should have remembered the "Watcher of the Night," as that is the PP that my multi-classed eladrin artificer-rogue is going to take. It fits perfectly with my character concept.

This isn't the first time it happened either, there was a swordmage PP in the FRPG that used powers with the "Shadow" power source, or at least keyword, since it apparently can mix with Arcane (the Umbriri).
IIRC, there was a also Ranger PP in FRPG whose powers were Arcane.

Shroomy

Adventurer
That's the one! :cool:

Anyway, I like these developments. As far as I'm concerned, it's proof that power source is basically fluff, rather than some kind of restriction, like I've heard some folks suggest it to be.

Well, its mostly fluff. There's some broad mechanical themes running through the various power sources.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases