How's your Raise Dead?

Jack99

Adventurer
I am curious. Does everybody play/use Raise Dead as written in their 4e campaigns?

I am asking because I have been considering the impact of cheap, accessible ressurection, and what it does (or rather, would do) to a campaign.

Have those of you who use it as is noticed any issues/changes? Have anyone changed the Raise Dead ritual, and why?

crash_beedo

First Post
I play it as cheap, accessible... but only for a PC.

My group has just turned 5th level and we've only had one 'true death' - good old Irontooth. The players brought his body back for burial in Winterfell, and we had it that when she was performing last rites, the village priestess had a vision that his spirit didn't move on... she rummaged through her dusty books and scrolls and found the one with the words that would return his soul to his body. Everyone knew dead was dead, but she felt this time would be different. And it was!

So Flint was rez'd, and he went on to become a Lazarus-type celebrity (beloved of the goddess, chosen of Avandra, and very lucky with the village lasses, too!)

So I think the 4E mindset can work - make raise dead available to PC's as 'heroes of destiny' even though that's not how it works for the rest of the world. And it can be a great story boost.

DeusExMachina

First Post
I always make it clear beforehand that there are no resurrections in my campaigns. It might happen during the game because of special circumstances or the use of artefacts or some such, but neither characters nor players know beforehand if or how that will happen.
I know this is very personal, but I just can't stand characters coming back from the dead cheaply. It's a problem in books and movies and it's a problem in games as well.
Also I find that a session just gets interrupted if suddenly the party needs to carry a body around the dungeon, retreat to the nearest place with a priest or somebody with scrolls, get the money together and stuff and then the player decides he'd rathe rmake a new characater anyway and has his character refuse to come back to life. Waste of time, waste of resources, waste of a perfectly well running campaign, waste of what could have been a dramatic moment.
Character deaths don't happen often in my campaigns. At least I don't think so. With 6 players we have had 1 death so far in about 8 sessions, which happened near the end of the session, so he lost about 20 minutes in gaming time altogether. Furthermore now his death means something. He stood up to a dragon while trying to defend his village, I think it's pretty heroic to die that way. Bringing him back would just be a let down I think...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases