layoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
I wouldn't read a lot into it.

Does anyone remember the rough timeline for how the 3.0 layoffs went? 3E was released in August 2000. Didn't the first big wave come in like Oct/Nov of that same year? And then there was another smaller round the next spring I think. Boy I'm having trouble remembering...

Same pattern with 3.0 and 3.5, so this was expected to happen, although I'm surprised we haven't seen even more in RPG R&D...I suppose the full list hasn't been determined yet, though. :(

EricNoah

Adventurer
Looked back through my archive, it was December 2000. And Peter Adkison also left WotC in the same stroke.

Rechan

Adventurer
I hope that the game designers will get snapped up by various companies. Those are good minds right there.

Filcher

First Post
Is this a typical cleaning out? Does this reflect on the success (or lack of) of DDI, or D&D in general? What should (if anything) be read into this?

Given the current economic climate, and that Wizards seems to layoff key personnel on an annual cycle, I wouldn't read much into the layoffs.

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
For you guys who are more in the know, how many people over there at WOTC who work for D&D or DDI are left? I know for those involved this totally sucks, but as for the company, is this a drop in the bucket? Or a good percentage of the D&D/DDI crew? Are we cleaning house here, or just cleaning the closet?

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I hope that the game designers will get snapped up by various companies. Those are good minds right there.

Who's out there to snap them up? Most RPG companies are so small that they're essentially run out of people's basements with contracted designers to keep the material flowing. White Wolf is the only other one that is large in the same sense as WotC. Some other companies with relatively small full time staffs are Paizo, FFG, Steve Jackson Games, and Mongoose. I seriously doubt anyone on that list is in need of full time employees right now.

This is a joke, right? That list can't be serious! Randy Buehler? Stacy Longstreet? DAVE FREAKIN' NOONAN? I think I recall reading things written by almost every one of those names during the 4E spoiler-scramble this time a year ago.

...Sad day.

Isnt this the second set of layoffs since 4e was released?
Yeah, but don't forget that 4E had the misfortune to be launched on the cusp of the worst economic downturn in America since, what, 1990? It sucks, but I'll blame the economic conditions before the products.

RefinedBean

First Post
Maybe FFG, but to what use would they put 'em?

Hopefully, since these layoffs are well-known to be cyclical, they already have plans for where to go next.

Game designers and the online gaming people could probably try to step out of the RPG business and work for companies like Disney...anyone that has marketing tie-ins with their products, online games based around popular series, etc.

Wish I could buy 'em all a beer. Drinks are on me if you can get here, guys and gals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases