layoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Little Raven

First Post
You have to stretch your definition of "old guard" to even apply to anyone there anymore.

What is the definition of "old guard" you're using? Why wouldn't it apply to people like Rich Baker and Bill Slavicsek, who predate most of the people laid off since 2000? Why would it include David Noonan, but not Andy Collins (who has been there about as long)?

What is the definition of "old guard" you're using? Why wouldn't it apply to people like Rich Baker and Bill Slavicsek, who predate most of the people laid off since 2000? Why would it include David Noonan, but not Andy Collins (who has been there about as long)?
Isn't Kim Mohan still there as well?

Snotlord

First Post
This is saddening news indeed, good luck to good folks currently without a job. I hope you all land on your feet.

If you look just two sentences before the one you quoted, you'll see that I was referring to a larger perspective than just yesterday's layoffs. Dave wasn't old guard by anyone's definition (that's no slight against him). From my point of view, old guard is Skip Williams, Penny Williams, Jeff Grubb, Steve Winter, and John Pickens (all but one of which has been laid off by the company). And those are just the people who made the move to WotC. My definition also includes people like Zeb Cook, Paul Jacquays, Dave Sutherland, and Doug Niles, whom I was fortunate enough to work with at TSR. And even with all that, it's still a young perspective.

Bill and Rich started at TSR not all that long before I did. Thus, stretching the definition, as I said, because it would then have to also include me. Which seems silly. Not in a "ooh, I'm getting old sort of way," but a "wow, there's hardly anyone here who remembers working on 2nd edition, let alone 1st" sort of way.

occam

Adventurer
Today makes me sad that WOTC is so financially driven that they would layoff solid game designers. I know it isn't a new practice, but it is definately a stupid one. I won't renew my DDI subscription.

Yeah, that'll show 'em. Maybe they'll lose so much money as a result of fan reaction, they can lay off more people!

If you like what DDI gives you, buy it. If you don't, don't. But don't think you'll be punishing WotC for these layoffs by withholding your money.

My condolences to all who lost their jobs today. I hope we'll still be seeing you around somewhere.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Really sorry to hear about this. The D&D podcast won't be the same without Dave Noonan!

Richard

You assume that there will be a D&D podcast without Dave Noonan. Of course, I'm not saying there won't be, just that it's possible that they might scrap the feature as a whole.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Yeah, that'll show 'em. Maybe they'll lose so much money as a result of fan reaction, they can lay off more people!

If you like what DDI gives you, buy it. If you don't, don't. But don't think you'll be punishing WotC for these layoffs by withholding your money.

So how do we punish them? Should we spend more money on their products, because that seems more like a reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads