layoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrix

Explorer
This is terrible news, I hope it works out fine for everybody involved!

Dave, I'll miss you on the podcast, it's been a pleasure hearing you there!

And I hope to get a chance to buy more excellent games you guys make, because I know you can make them!

(I see some small hope that this means we'll see more game material by Jonathan Tweet ;) )

JeffB

Legend
My sympathies to all those involved- having been laid off recently myself, I totally understand the suckitude around the holidays. However, keeping a positive attitude is key. "Everything happens for a reason" is my motto.:)

Cpt_Micha

First Post
Seems like it's all DDI related.

DDI has been full of fail since it's inception. Talk about wasted potential. I mean really did anyone care for "pay for" designer blogs? I thought that was the third dumbest thing I've ever seen a company do. Okay maybe not third but certainly in the top 20 for gaming companies. (number one being Sega. Nuff Said)

Don't we you know... get those for free anyway by frequenting forums?

DDI should have been for things like the Fey Feature, and the various ecologies that we got from Dungeon and Dragon. Not "Lets interview a Designer!"

Sucks for Solice, I liked Solice. She did a good job (sorta) of help mending the forums at wotc.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Is this a typical cleaning out? Does this reflect on the success (or lack of) of DDI, or D&D in general? What should (if anything) be read into this?

I don't know; there was a round of layoffs not terribly long after 3.0 came out - this was around the time Monte Cook and Sean K. Reynolds left, though I'm not sure if they were laid off per se. There were two things going then, which match very closely with what's going on right now - a new edition of teh game had come out, and a recession hit. It stands to reason that more people are needed to work on D&D while the design of a new edition is going on then to maintain that edition's forward momentum, and of course in an economic downturn the pressure on the bottom line is even greater.

delericho

Legend
Losing a job always sucks, losing a job just before Christmas doubly so.

I wish I coould say this was a surprise, but it really isn't. Between the new edition being out, the economy, and WotC's habit of making cuts at this time, this really wasn't unexpected.

I hope all those affected find new employment soon.

Sheridan

First Post
A toy company that lays its workers off at the start of the Christmas season...

...how utterly devoid of a soul Hasbro/Wizards must be...

Best of luck to Dave and all those affected (I found out about this while making plans for my upcoming d20 Past/Pulp Heroes game, Dave).

...and for goodness sake, let's not worry about "the state of the game". If the company completely disappeared from the face of the Earth today, I'm still pretty sure we all still have enough "stuff" to keep on playing D&D for as long as we wish.

Best wishes to all those affected and a big "thank you" for all you've done.
*Sheridan

Brix

Explorer
Post deleted - not the right place for that kind of rant, thanks ~ PS

Last edited by a moderator:

Stormtower

First Post
As a fellow unemployed American, I'd like to offer my sympathy and condolences to all those laid off today. Some of the names on that list are highly responsible for many, many hours of enjoyable gaming had by all at my table. Best wishes to you, and stay positive. Know that your work on D&D over the years is appreciated.

PS. to Dave Noonan - great work on the podcasts and I will miss listening to your voice.

silentounce

First Post
A toy company that lays its workers off at the start of the Christmas season...

...how utterly devoid of a soul Hasbro/Wizards must be...

Actually, would you rather have them WORK through the holidays and then lay them off? That sounds a bit more cruel doesn't it? Almost like they used them and then let them go. I'm sure they're all getting some kind of severance or being allowed to use their saved up vacation time. At least this way they get to spend the holidays with their family/friends. That, and there is never a "good time" for a layoff. Perhaps if they kept all these people for another month or two it could result in more layoffs because of budget overruns? Keeping them around through the holidays does no one a favor. So, before you start judging and saying careless remarks....

Now that that is out of the way, I give my best wishes to those out of work this holiday season. I work in recruitment, and let me tell you, it's getting very rough out there for everybody in nearly every industry.

One more thing, I vote for no new editions of D&D. Just look at the history. Release of 2 ed(1989) followed by the early '90s recession, 3.0(2000) came out followed by the burst of the dotcom bubble and the last recession, and now 4th ed comes out leading to the current economic crisis/recession. Last three recessions coincide with last three editions of D&D? Just like the drop in pirates and the increase in global warming, it can't be a coincidence. And now with the rise in piracy we're all hearing about in the news weather forecasters are saying that it's going to be a very cold, harsh winter?

piratesarecool4.jpg

Hope maybe I cheered someone up with that. ;)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases