What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore Guyanthalas
    My communities:

Rellanic (Elven) & Davek (Dwarven) fonts

Forked from: Iokharic Script Font

I decided it should be its own thread, because not many will look at Iokharic if they want Rellanic. If you are looking for Iokharic (Draconic), please follow the forked link at the top.

This is my version 1.2 of the font files. I have added punctuation marks and they seem to work fine (unlike my last time ). I'm not 100% happy with the punctuation, so anyone feel free to modify them as nessisary, but please post a copy so I can take a look at them.

Font Demonstration:

For font junkies, this is what I did:
    Both fonts are ripped straight out of the PHB.
    Elven a-z fonts are included in the PDF, so to make A-Z I increased the glyph size by 25%
    Dwarven A-Z fonts are included in the PDF, so to make a-z I decreased the glyph size by 25%

The punctuation marks are not home brew, they have been ripped out of other various assortments of "Fantasy" style fonts. As I said, I'd love someone to make there own versions of the punctuation that would perhaps be a better fit.

Instructions:
    Unzip fonts.
    Copy and past into your font directory (on most windows systems this is C:\windows\fonts)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Guyanthalas; Wednesday, 3rd December, 2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Update Link, Spoiler Block
    Cleric's got 99 problems but a Lich ain't one.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore yarnperson

D&D Abyssal/Primordial/Barazhad Script Font

Well, the other guy who put his up apparently took it down on the same day. Going off of the jpg Lord Winter posted(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...zhadscript.jpg), I made this. It only took around twelve hours. Not bad for a first try.
    This is not a direct rip, as I am to understand some of the other fonts out there are, it's more of a hand made copy. So it's not exact, and it's missing the hand drawn feel that Wizards tries to put in their fonts, but it's still quite accurate, I think... The non-letter characters, such as asterisk and questions marks are the ones used in Siberys' Dragonic font. Why fix it if it ain't broke?
    In closeing, I hope you enjoy, please don't sue.

D&D Abyssal Barazhad Script Font.zip
    If that link doesn't work, check the reply on Siberys' Iokharic post.
    D&D Abyssal Barazhad Script Font.zip
    Last edited by darjr; Tuesday, 25th December, 2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: fixing links

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Ignore Kzach
    Sweet, thanks!

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore Zinovia
    Nice work on the fonts. As a calligrapher who has done a great deal of research on medieval scripts, I'd recommend not using modern punctuation marks if you want a more authentic look. I find the modern punctuation marks rather jarring in the sample scripts, although it's good of you to include them in the fonts.

Medieval books didn't use nearly as much punctuation as we do currently. The oldest books and scrolls often didn't even have spaces between the words. Those are typically majuscule scripts - ones that consist of all "upper case" letters. Punctuation arose out of the need to be able to read something out loud with proper emphasis and pauses, but is less necessary in written information that isn't going to be read aloud.

What I would recommend for your D&D scripts usage is to change around the symbols used for punctuation. For a period, try using a short dash or a colon. A mid-minim height (middle of the lower case letter) dot would be ideal for a period, but I'm not sure you can get that symbol easily. Eliminate commas altogether. Try a slash instead of a question mark, or just use a period as well - or you could use the symbol for the letter "q". For the runic scripts, definitely minimize the punctuation as much as possible, and I'd go with a colon in place of a period, if you use anything at all. It's fits better, IMHO.

To clarify, I'm not suggesting changing the fonts - those are great, and thanks for the effort. The recommendations are for those using the fonts.
    Red meat isn't bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.
    4E color landscape character sheet 4E hex spell templates
    Silly Poetry: The Dragon

I... LOVE you!

No, really, I LOVE you for this. Countless, ineffable thanks!

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore tkwickham
    Design Nerd here: THANK YOU!

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore SN0WRAVEN

Thx a million!!!

I've been scouring the internet looking for these!! Thanks so much for the hard work!

Commutiny Exporter
    Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries
    D&D

Ignore tuxgeo
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Zinovia View Post
    Nice work on the fonts. As a calligrapher who has done a great deal of research on medieval scripts, I'd recommend not using modern punctuation marks if you want a more authentic look. I find the modern punctuation marks rather jarring in the sample scripts, although it's good of you to include them in the fonts.

Medieval books didn't use nearly as much punctuation as we do currently. The oldest books and scrolls often didn't even have spaces between the words. Those are typically majuscule scripts - ones that consist of all "upper case" letters. Punctuation arose out of the need to be able to read something out loud with proper emphasis and pauses, but is less necessary in written information that isn't going to be read aloud.

What I would recommend for your D&D scripts usage is to change around the symbols used for punctuation. For a period, try using a short dash or a colon. A mid-minim height (middle of the lower case letter) dot would be ideal for a period, but I'm not sure you can get that symbol easily. Eliminate commas altogether. Try a slash instead of a question mark, or just use a period as well - or you could use the symbol for the letter "q". For the runic scripts, definitely minimize the punctuation as much as possible, and I'd go with a colon in place of a period, if you use anything at all. It's fits better, IMHO.

To clarify, I'm not suggesting changing the fonts - those are great, and thanks for the effort. The recommendations are for those using the fonts.
    Regarding the bolded part above (emphasis added by me):

Right. Question Marks aren't very medieval.
    One thought that occurred to me about marking questions would be to add words that indicate a questioning tone. You might want to consider adopting an introductory word such as the Farsi "Aya" and a terminal word such as the Nipponese Nihon-go "ne" to frame a question without needing a question mark.
    For example: "Aya I can haz cheezeburger ne."

(Different languages could have different framing words, of course.)
    Last edited by tuxgeo; Thursday, 5th January, 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Ugh. I do know what the Japanese call their language. I just forgot.
    Original Member of the Rouseketeers! ("mmnnaarrrrrrrrr")
    "I'll take sitting around on my laurels because my character died any day over feeling like regardless of what I do, my character can't fail no matter what." -- Hobo

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore ppaladin123
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxgeo View Post
    Regarding the bolded part above (emphasis added by me):

Right. Question Marks aren't very medieval.
    One thought that occurred to me about marking questions would be to add words that indicate a questioning tone. You might want to consider adopting an introductory word such as the Farsi "Aya" and a terminal word such as the Nipponese "ne" to frame a question without needing a question mark.
    For example: "Aya I can haz cheezeburger ne."

(Different languages could have different framing words, of course.)
    In formal Japanese all questions end with kana, "ka" and no punctuation mark. So yes, some languages designate questions with a phonetic symbol rather than a non-pronounceable marker.
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-discussion/276057-gods-dead-gods-dominions-list.html

Magsman (Lvl 14)

ENniesZEITGEISTThe Perturbed DragonGygax Memorial Fund

Ignore MortalPlague
    Quote Originally Posted by ppaladin123 View Post
    So yes, some languages designate questions with a phonetic symbol rather than a non-pronounceable marker.
    Hey, so does English!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S3gw"]Punctuation[/ame]
    Your skill in reading has increased by 1.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast