Pandemic

Crothian

First Post
Z-Man has reprinted this game and I got to play it last night. The idea is very simple: the world is being over run by plagues. It is a co operative game so everyone wins or everyone loses.

It is for up to 4 players and we had that many. Though I could easily see how it works for 2 or 3 players and it should be very good for them as well. I only played the once so far and I'm not sure on if it will be one of the games that can be played a thousand times and still be fun or not.

Anyone else played?

Cadfan

First Post
I've played it a lot. I really like it.

The only potential flaw is that sometimes one player will dominate the others and tell them what to do, turning a cooperative game into a game where only one person contributes. That's not really a flaw in the game, though, as a potential social flaw you should look out for when gaming with others in a cooperative setting where table talk is permitted.

Wycen

Explorer
Well, sometimes the dominating person is doing that because they have the character who's job is sort of doing just that. Sometimes they've played enough to have a good idea of what they are doing. And sometimes they are dominating the game for no good reason.

I've played more than a few times, but not as many times as the other people I board game with. It is fun but I've come to the conclusion it is a game you don't win, so much as see how long it takes you to lose. Of course, I think there is an Easy/medium/hard way to play so the easy setup is the way to go if you want to win.

Crothian

First Post
Do you know how many epidemic cards you used? We won with 4 and 5 but lost using 6. There are other ways to vary the difficulty to, so it just depends on what rules you were using.

Cadfan

First Post
We frequently play with 5. Sometimes we play with 6. Often its just my wife and I, and we're pretty good, so we usually win with 5.

Wycen

Explorer
Do you know how many epidemic cards you used? We won with 4 and 5 but lost using 6. There are other ways to vary the difficulty to, so it just depends on what rules you were using.

I'm not sure how many we use, but I do recall talking about how many to use before we play.

Most of the time a city "explodes" and causes another city to do the same, thus we lose 2 things on the side track (I know there are 2 tracks, one on the top of the board and another on the side). I think that's how we've lost most games. I don't think we spend enough time removing cubes, but I don't know for sure.

Adso

First Post
Z-Man has reprinted this game and I got to play it last night. The idea is very simple: the world is being over run by plagues. It is a co operative game so everyone wins or everyone loses.

It is for up to 4 players and we had that many. Though I could easily see how it works for 2 or 3 players and it should be very good for them as well. I only played the once so far and I'm not sure on if it will be one of the games that can be played a thousand times and still be fun or not.

Anyone else played?

I played it for the first time this week during lunch, and found myself instantly hooked. Picked it up Friday, and I have already played three games of it with my wife. I am looking forward to playing it again today.

Smart, smart, smart, and fun game. I love how simple, fast, and challenging this game is. And then, when it stops being challenging you can ramp up the challenge even more.

Brilliant!

Crothian

First Post
My friend who introduced it to me has been told "she'll play it till her fingers bleed." I was at her house and we were playing it late Thursday night. There were four of us and she was the only one that had to work the next day, but she stayed later then she should have playing with us. I played some other games that night but she must have played 7 games of it straight and was wanting more when we finally called it quits.

This is one of the best new board games I've played. :D

Adso

First Post
Fun!

If you are a total design and development geek when it comes to games, or you are like me and absolutely love Pandemic, or you are really like me and fall into both of these categories, this is a must watch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdTVcFo2EQw"]Matt Leacock talks about Pandemic[/ame]

It's long, but it's well worth it.

Crothian

First Post
We are still playing Pandemic and loving it. I played three times on Saturday. I'm really suprised that the game continues to be a lot of fun even after we have played it dozens of times.

I'm hoping the game does not tell the future though as Mexico City killed us all the first game we played on Saturday.

Remove ads