The Temple of Lauto

covaithe

Explorer
On one of the main streets of Daunton stands the great temple of Lauto. Fronted by a facade of smooth, white marble, and decorated with carvings of a thousand tiny scenes of death and the afterlife, the temple is one of the most imposing buildings in Daunton. It is also certainly among the richest, and that wealth is displayed in countless ways. Some are subtle, like the bells of finest brass that toll a deep, mournful, yet somehow soothing sound. Some are less subtle, like the twenty-foot solid gold front doors inlaid with a riot of precious stones. Some are unmistakeable, like the cadre of elite and extremely well equipped guards who watch those front doors at all times.

Next to the stairs leading up to the doorway is a wooden notice board with a glass cover mounted with a hinge on one end and a small padlock on the other. Behind the glass are a number of posters and notices.

[sblock=ooc]This is another venue for DMs to post adventure hooks, particularly ones related to the temple of Lauto.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
A balding human man in ink-stained gray robes emerges from the church. He unlocks the glass cover on the notice board and posts a large flyer, which reads as follows:

WANTED for failure to pay resurrection fees, Algarezh Hoofchew. Reward 500 gold. Collection likely to be hazardous. Inquire within at the resurrection desk.

[sblock=ooc]This is an adventure hook for a very short adventure, likely to last no more than a month. It's for whoever shows up; I'll adjust as needed for whatever group you guys bring.[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
An elf wearing well cared-for plate armor with a straight-bladed longsword on his hip and round shield on his back gracefully approaches the temple, taking in all the sights of the temple and the surrounding buildings. Noticing the notice board, he moves closer to examine it.

Reading the newest notice, a slight frown crosses his face. A collection agent? I'm not sure that's something I want to do ... but then again, I have nothing else to do in this city, and no other way to make money. And certainly not as much money as this reward. Hmmm ... perhaps, perhaps ...

[sblock=OOC]Thanks for this, covaithe! To be honest, I was thinking of throwing together something like this (an adventure about collecting on a resurrection debt, that is), but I don't have time to flesh out the idea and run it at the moment ;)[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Awesome. :) Actually, I'm hoping this becomes a semi-regular thing, mini-adventures like this (and another idea or two that I have cooking...) to pass the time when longer adventures are hard to come by. Part of what I'm trying to do here is build a framework for that.[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]I think it's a great idea. I've been secretly wishing someone did something like this, like you said, just to keep me (and the others in the tavern) busy ;) Out of curiosity, would you take all 8 of the PCs in the tavern if everyone was interested?[/sblock]

Dawn Raven

First Post
During the walk through Daunton, Les does her best to lead the way, moving skillfully through crowds and around merchant stalls. Anyone that follows her out of the tavern is also directed through the crowd. She does her best to keep people together until they reach the marble steps of the vast Temple. "I've lived here for so long, and yet thy white stone pillars never has my eyes seen. Les gives a brief flourish to the temple guards and flashes them both a grin before bounding up the steps after Raiyek. She looks at him reading the notice for a moment and raises an eyebrow at his face.

"What causes so much turmoil?" She leans over his shoulder and reads the notice. She smiles at the sound of it. This looks easy.
"So, Raiyek, will you join me in bringing justice upon this heterodox Hoofchew?"

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
"What causes so much turmoil?"
Les' voice seems to shake Raiyek out of his personal reverie. "Hmmm? Oh, nothing. I was just thinking about things," the paladin replies cryptically. His doubts seem to melt away with her next question, though.
Dawn Raven said:
She leans over his shoulder and reads the notice. She smiles at the sound of it. This looks easy.
"So, Raiyek, will you join me in bringing justice upon this heterodox Hoofchew?"
"Haha, justice indeed! I believe I will, at that!" He offers his hand to Les. "I believe this makes us partners, at least for the next little while," says the elf with a wide smile. Yes, I came for excitement. Though this likely won't take long, it should be at least a little exciting. And if they're posting such notices outside such a prominent temple in plain view, it must be in accordance to the law. What is there to worry about?

"Sounds like a minotaur, no? I must admit, I have never met one. They aren't very common in the places I've been."

ukingsken

First Post
Vashik sidles up next to the message board, peers through the glass, looks at the other two standing nearby taking them in from head to toe.

Neither of you is trained in the arcane arts. You will need my help. Shall we inquire within or stand here trying to divine more information from this parchment?

With that said Vashik turns and begins to slowly climb the stairs.

SeaPainter

First Post
Cross walks the streets of Daunton, making sure to keep his hat brim down and his tail inside his greatcoat. His beaten & weathered staff keeps time with his steps, as his eyes scan the street... wary for potential hazards.

A balding human man in ink-stained gray robes emerges from the church. He unlocks the glass cover on the notice board and posts a large flyer

As his route brings him within sight of the Temple, the baldiing acolyte with his parchment attracts Cross's attention. He notes that some of the tavern's other patrons are already at the church and reading the bulletin before the glass notice case is even relocked.

With a shrug, Cross approaches the steps giving a nod of greeting to his potential companions. As they begin discussing their potential working arrangements, he leans over them to read the notice that has inspired such discussion...

WANTED for failure to pay resurrection fees, Algarezh Hoofchew. Reward 500 gold. Collection likely to be hazardous. Inquire within at the resurrection desk.

This could be a good opportunity to start developing a reputation in the area... although, I will need to inquire about the full circumstances of this case to determine the best course of action to guarantee that justice is served. Cross gives a second nod to the elf, gith & old human on the steps before heading inside the temple.

The first step across the threshold brings with it a weight on Cross's soul. He looks around at the temple's columns & statuary, and he is momentarily lost in the sweep of memories from his upbringing in The Temple of the Jade Dragon. Though momentarily staggered, he recovers himself with a deep breath & a realignment of his shoulders.

As he's glancing around the atrium, he catches sight of the notice-poster making his way to the ressurection desk. Cross makes his way to the counter, and presents himself to the priest on duty there...

My name is Cross. My friends and I are here to help resolve the matter of Algarezh Hoofchew's debt to your temple...

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
With the arrival of the two wizards, Raiyek also turns to head up the steps to the temple. Not bad, he thinks as he scrutinizes the art adorning the temple, but still nothing like the temples in Isolate Prime. At this thought, he ponders just how far he's gone from that great city, both physically and metaphorically.

Bah, enough of such thoughts. Back to the task at hand ... That's odd. Now that I think about it, the notice never said what was to be collected. "Perhaps I'm just not aware of a local custom, but the sign didn't mention what was to be collected. Do you have any ideas as to what it is?" he inquires of the group in general. He mulls his own question over in his head while the group approaches the resurrection desk.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases