The Long Arm of Lauto 1: Algarezh Hoofchew

ukingsken

First Post
Vashik glances around at the crowd looking for anyone who seems to be an actual resident. When he spots one he marches directly toward them, fire in his eyes. Snapping his hand a small ball of flame appears in his hand.

If you know anything at all about Hoofchew, I suggest you tell me.

[sblock=Intimidate]
1d20+3=4 Well I had that coming, from epic success to epic fail. This is the dice gods cursing me for my hubris. [/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Larinza finds the first orc she comes to on the streets, "We're looking for an orc named Alragezh Hoofchew, We work for the temple of Lauto, Hrauto as your people call him. Here to collect a debt. It's in your best interested to cooperate with the Lord of the Dead, gather his wraith and it's not just now you reap the punishment, but your immortal soul. Larinza has her hand on the pommel of her sword as she talks.

After some looking, Larinza finally finds an orc and delivers her speech... or so she thinks. Halfway through, she realizes that it's not actually an orc, it's just a very ugly human woman. Most of the force goes out of her words, and the woman just shakes her hand off and walks away. (ooc: intimidate 1d20+8=10)

Balth quickly started scanning the crowd, looking for those who would be paying a keen ear to the inquiries.

Balth moves like a ghost through the lengthening shadows. He finds a nicely hidden vantage point to watch events unfold. As Raiyek and Larinza and Vashik make their queries, he notices one of the halfling children suddenly break off the game of chase, listen intently, and disappear into an alley to the east. (ooc: perception 17, stealth 28. Balth, or anyone who he alerts, may use athletics or acrobatics as primary skills to try to catch the kid)

Merenwen saw the main group enter the town, selecting the most shaded parts and buildings of the town she merged into the shadows, moving slowly to keep behind and to the side of the main group. As more fuss was made while they asked some of the locals about the location of the orc she studied any creatures on the edge of the group. Looking for any signs of the main group picking up a tail.

Merenwen moves quietly through the shadows as well, keeping a wary eye out. As she crouches behind a broken wall, she overhears a snatch of conversation on the other side, the gist of which is that it's not safe to go into the northeast parts of Overgrowth after nightfall.

(ooc: perception 18, stealth 22)

Les stays ahead of the group, moving in and out of shops and among the crowd. She mingles with the children and lets a little girl play with her braids. She does her best to blend in easily. The streets remind her of the streets in the Nest and bring a sour smile to her gaunt face.

While walking around, Les listens to rumors and eavesdrops on conversations. She makes a few inquiries and tries to steer conversations to sightings of orcs in the area or of any suspicious activity.

Les hears the following snatch of conversation:

"Man, I got kicked outta my spot again last night. Had to sleep in the open, and it soaked my stash."

"Bummer, man. I got hit two nights ago. It's those Redboot boys, they been makin' all kinds of trouble, nights."

"I thought they stayed indoors and got drunk at night?"

"Yeah, me too. But they're on the streets at night now. I think I'm gonna start sleeping days."

(ooc: Streetwise 18)

Kruk makes a perception check to notice if other patrons are taking an interest in the proceedings or are staring a little too long at the inquiry.

[sblock=Rolls]
Perception -> 1d20+2 = 14
[/sblock]

Unfortunately, Kruk is distracted by a particularly vicious-looking scuffle between children, and fails to notice anything else for a few minutes.

As Les is moving through the crowd, seeking information about orc activity in the area, Cross is shadowing the gith, listening to her interactions, and gauging peoples' reactions to her.

Cross hears the conversation above, and it occurs to him that one reason a street gang might be on the streets instead of drinking in their hideout is if some more powerful group has kicked them out of their hideout.

ooc: Status: 6 successes, 2 failures. I still need a check from Kilbeth, for the first round, I think.

SeaPainter

First Post
Upon overhearing this snippet of conversation, Cross gets an idea. He approaches Les, and addresses her as if she is a stranger to him & loudly enough for anyone else in the vicinity (namely, the two whose conversation that He & Les just overheard) to hear him...

"My good woman, you seem to be a local." He produces a gold piece from his pocket, and turns it so that it will glint in the afternoon light "I am willing to pay you one Imperial Gold Piece to guide me to the Redboot's hideout. Interested?"

[sblock=bluff]1d20+6=22 Roll Lookup [/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Unfortunately, Kruk is distracted by a particularly vicious-looking scuffle between children, and fails to notice anything else for a few minutes.

"Wow, nice punch" Kruk thinks to himself as he observes the fight. "Ya know lad, if you place your weight on you back leg and drive with your hips you can get more power....hmmm what are you thinking kruk...get back on task." Kruk continues to search, shaking his head, mad at himself for being distracted.

Dawn Raven

First Post
Upon overhearing this snippet of conversation, Cross gets an idea. He approaches Les, and addresses her as if she is a stranger to him & loudly enough for anyone else in the vicinity (namely, the two whose conversation that He & Les just overheard) to hear him...

"My good woman, you seem to be a local." He produces a gold piece from his pocket, and turns it so that it will glint in the afternoon light "I am willing to pay you one Imperial Gold Piece to guide me to the Redboot's hideout. Interested?"

[sblock=bluff]1d20+6=22 Roll Lookup [/sblock]

Les raises an eyebrow at Cross and tilts her head to the side. It takes her a moment to realize what he is trying to do before a smile flits across her face. She hopes that her years in Daunton and penchant for the verbose has not dulled her ability to fall into the common speech of criminals and their like.
" What? So's you can hit me over the head in a damned alley and take me satchel? Let'ssee that gold. Doubt be real anyhow."

[sblock=OOC]
Uhmm no books at the moment. How do Aid another actions work in a skill challenge?
[/sblock]

LightRailCoyote

First Post
I gave a check, i think, on page 5. Perception roll.

Kilbeth moves as quickly as quiet steps would allow him, through the streets. As he gets a better view of the area, he tries to spot out any groups of unpleasant orcs that are moving in tandem.
Rolls
Since invisible castle is down, I'll just post my bonuses here.
+7 to Stealth (For stealthing behind meren)
+9 to Perception (For the skill challenge: Kilbeth is trying to spot out any groups of orcs that look especially seedy, and that are moving together.)
Stealth is void since Kilbeth is with the obvious group, and invisiblecastle is back up!
1d20 9=15

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Whoops, I must have missed that. Sorry!

Kilbeth does not see any orcs, but he does notice a rather seedy-looking dwarf who is pretending to inspect a basket of fruit, but is actually listening intently to Cross and Les, several stalls away. The dwarf is wearing red boots!

ooc: So round 1 ends with 7 successes and 2 failures. Round 2 begins...

Vashik marches resolutely towards a slightly older child emerging from an alley with a pile of rags that might be clothing. Snapping his hand a small ball of flame appears in his hand.

If you know anything at all about Hoofchew, I suggest you tell me.

The girl looks at him and giggles, then gives a piercing whistle. For a moment nothing happens, then suddenly children are everywhere and Vashik is being pelted from all sides with... stuff. Bits of debris broken glass, small stones, trash, and some softer bits that Vashik hopes are only dirt. It only goes on for a few seconds, but when it subsides, the girl and the other children are dashing in all directions, quickly disappearing into the maze of ruins.

ooc: 7 successes, 3 failures. Les and Cross, I'm not entirely sure what it is that you're trying to accomplish. How does the bluff roll play into it?

Dawn Raven

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
I believe the bluff check was for Cross to pretend to be a foreigner and to be genuinely interested in the Red-boot location along with pretending he didn't know me. The intent, I think, is to cause the two who we saw, and hopefully overhear us, to take the bait and instead offer to take him up on the offer.

I think..hehe
[/sblock]

SeaPainter

First Post
OOC:
I believe the bluff check was for Cross to pretend to be a foreigner and to be genuinely interested in the Red-boot location along with pretending he didn't know me. The intent, I think, is to cause the two who we saw, and hopefully overhear us, to take the bait and instead offer to take him up on the offer.

I think..hehe

OOC: That was my exact intent! I figured that if I walked up to the two guys, they'd be intimidated or run off or whatever... but Cross had the idea that if they overheard he & Les, and thought they could make some money (while returning the Overgowth to the status quo) then, instead, they would approach me and offer their services.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Undaunted by her previous attempt. Larinza moves to another resident, hopefully one that didn't see the first exchange, and tries again.

"Listen up, I work for the Lord of Death, and I advise you to provide me with the location of the Orc, Algarezh Hoofchew, or someone who can lead me to him. Prehaps these Redboots. Otherwise you might get to have a closer relationship with my present employeer so to speak."

[sblock=ooc]Well this one is a little better. Intimidate (1d20+8=16) [/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases