The Long Arm of Lauto 1: Algarezh Hoofchew - Page 12




  1. #111
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    dimsdale's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    3,542
    Blog Entries
    1

    Ignore dimsdale
    Kruk walks up to Vashik after witnessing the pelting of rocks and glass and pauses for a few moments surveying the clutter on the ground. He then states (while trying not to smile), "Rough neighborhood huh spellcaster? I'd rather be cornered by a pack of rabid wolves than battle against those rock-throwing rebels."

    Not waiting for a reply, he pulls a piece of embedded glass from Vashik's cloak, tosses it to the ground and then moves to position himself in such a way that he can see all of the interactions taking place with the members of the "obvious party" and the people around them, ready to strike if trouble takes place. He thinks to himself, "Kruky old fella, why do I get an uneasy feeling about this place?" Suddenly a surge of power and excitement runs through his veins. He grips his axe tightly under his cloak and smiles.
    Last edited by dimsdale; Saturday, 13th December, 2008 at 03:56 AM.

 

  • #112
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    153

    Ignore balth
    Quote Originally Posted by covaithe View Post
    Balth, or anyone who he alerts, may use athletics or acrobatics as primary skills to try to catch the kid)
    Balth quickly draws a bow and notches it, firing at a clear surface within their sitelines not surrounded by people. He hopes they will quickly follow the trajectory to find him, where he can point out the boy as he starts giving chase.

    Signature


    Check out my new iPhone app iNit, the only Initiative Tracker for the iPhone/iPod touch! Every DM should have it!

  • #113
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    41

    Ignore Brutoni
    Merenewn cocks an ear, listening to something being said behind a wall. She can't make out exactly what it says. Still keeping an eye out for the other members of the group she starts to slide towards the conversation. Its then that Merenwen notices Balth's arrow fly into the ground, scanning the perimeter she notices an alley way running parallel with the direction he is head and a wall she could easily attempt to jump. Deciding to risk it she leaps upwards, running full pelt through the crowd, a number of small children or elderly creatures get in her way but with an effortless grace she overleaps them. Reaching the wall she jumps, hitting the corner of the wall and pushing off with her feet to allow her to grab the top of the wall. Swinging up and around she drops down. The fall is further than she expects but she lands with no problems, scanning around her to locate either Balth or any sign of the childrens footsteps

    ooc

    Perception: (To notice Balths attack, or locate signs of the little child. I'm guessing a 22 does okay?)
    1d20+10[12,10] = (22) Roll Lookup
    Acrobatics: (To chase down the kid)
    1d20+10[20,10] = (30) Roll Lookup

    She's been running full pelt, so any combat situation would end up with her having counted as using the run action for that turn in case thats needed.

  • #114
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    Cross and Les play out their pantomime, hoping to draw some interest. There is no immediate effect, but perhaps their efforts will bear fruit later...

    ooc: Ok, I'll allow that as a secondary skill and an aid another, which together give a bonus to a future roll. I'll apply it when it seems appropriate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Larinza View Post
    "Listen up, I work for the Lord of Death, and I advise you to provide me with the location of the Orc, Algarezh Hoofchew, or someone who can lead me to him. Prehaps these Redboots. Otherwise you might get to have a closer relationship with my present employeer so to speak."
    Larinza seems very threatening the the elderly man at the next fruit stand, but he seems more frightened by what's behind her than of her speech. "There's an awful lotta interest in the Redboots out here today," a rumbling voice comes from behind her. Turning, Larinza sees a dwarf who, judging by his patched and rusty chainmail and weathered wooden shield, has seen better times. His axe, though, is clean and sharp-looking, and his bright red boots are immaculate. "Don't ye know th' hideout's supposed t'be a secret? Least it used to be, 'til them orcs come a-sniffin' round. What d'ye want with them? Be ye friend o' theirs?" His hand drops almost lovingly to the hilt of his axe.


    Suddenly, an arrow lands with a loud thump in the middle of the street, well away from any people. All eyes turn to see Balth, bow in hand, in hot pursuit of a halfling child into an alley.

    In particular, Merenwen sees the shot and reacts with unnatural quickness, dashing into the alley through a shortcut and tackling the halfling child with a flying leap. The child struggles briefly, but Balth arrives with his bow, and the child quickly decides to try talking.

    "Whaddaya want?"

    ooc: 10 successes, 3 failures. Still need checks from Kilbeth, Kruk, and Raiyek for round 2, if I've counted right.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • #115
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    dimsdale's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    3,542
    Blog Entries
    1

    Ignore dimsdale
    Kruk decides to use a new tactic. He yells at the kids that were fighting, "Which one of you lads has any knowledge about the red boots! Out with it now before the red boots get ya."




    OOC: Oops
    Last edited by dimsdale; Monday, 15th December, 2008 at 02:35 AM.

  • #116
    OOC, question for DM
    How many of us are aware of the dwarf moving in on Larinza? Can Cross respond to him, and help her from being caught alone?
    Mini Stat

    Cross- Male Tiefling Wizard 1
    Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 18
    AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:14, Will:14 -- Speed:6
    Fire Resistance/5
    HP:25/25, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:5/8
    Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    Powers-
    Blood Hunt (+1 vs bloodied foes)
    Magic Missle
    Scorching Burst
    Ghost Sound
    Light
    Mage Hand
    Prestidigitation
    Burning Hands
    Infernal Wrath
    Flaming Sphere

  • #117
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Lord Sessadore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Posts
    2,525

    Ignore Lord Sessadore
    Quote Originally Posted by covaithe View Post
    Larinza seems very threatening the the elderly man at the next fruit stand, but he seems more frightened by what's behind her than of her speech. "There's an awful lotta interest in the Redboots out here today," a rumbling voice comes from behind her. Turning, Larinza sees a dwarf who, judging by his patched and rusty chainmail and weathered wooden shield, has seen better times. His axe, though, is clean and sharp-looking, and his bright red boots are immaculate. "Don't ye know th' hideout's supposed t'be a secret? Least it used to be, 'til them orcs come a-sniffin' round. What d'ye want with them? Be ye friend o' theirs?" His hand drops almost lovingly to the hilt of his axe.
    Raiyek also turns to see who is addressing Larinza. Noticing the shabby looking dwarf, his eyes quickly run up and down his small figure, sizing him up. Seeing an opportunity, the paladin decides to act on it.

    "Actually, no, we are not. In fact, we are here to get Hoofchew's head. Perhaps we can come to an ... arrangement." Raiyek flashes the dwarf a quick, smug, somewhat conspiratorial smile. "Perhaps if you were to help us locate Hoofchew and his orcs, we could ensure Hoofchew gets out of your hair, and do the same ourselves." Raiyek waits for the dwarf's response, letting his smug smile do the rest of the talking.


    OOC
    I've got her covered, SP I figured since we're both part of the 'obvious' group, it would make sense that Raiyek would be close by. I was actually just waiting to see what I could make a check for, and this just seemed to be too perfect an opportunity
    Last edited by Lord Sessadore; Monday, 15th December, 2008 at 05:18 AM.
    Current and past PbP: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4853360-post58.html

  • #118
    Spoiler:
    Oooh Nice roll! *looks at Dimsdale* Take some hints from Sessadore :P

  • #119
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    ooc
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaPainter View Post
    How many of us are aware of the dwarf moving in on Larinza? Can Cross respond to him, and help her from being caught alone?
    I'm imagining this all happening along a block or two of the main street, with the exception of Barth and Meren, who have gone into an alley. I assumed your plan was to all stay within close enough distance to each other that you could all generally tell what was going on, if not necessarily hear entire conversations. So feel free to have Cross respond, if you like.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • #120
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    Quote Originally Posted by dimsdale View Post
    Kruk decides to use a new tactic. He yells at the kids that were fighting, "Which one of you lads has any knowledge about the red boots! Out with it now before the red boots get ya."
    The children stop scuffling, then one of them steps forward with a wide smile, though staying carefully out of reach. "Oi, mister, I knows plenty 'bout the red boots, I do! They're dwarves, they are, what got kicked out of the Redboot clan 'cause they like other boy dwarves better than girl dwarves, if ya know what I mean. So you gots ta be real careful around 'em, 'specially if you got a nice, bushy beard. Like that one you got. Why you ask, you lookin' to join?"

    Kruk

    Insight DC 5
    He's pulling your leg
    DC 15
    He's also distracting you from something. Take +2 to the perception check below.


    Perception DC 21
    You feel a ghostly touch on your coin pouch! You slap your hand down quickly, knocking the coins out of the tiny hand and scattering them on the ground. The children, laughing, scatter into alleys. There is no way to tell which of them was the thief. But at least you haven't lost any money.

    ooc: the kid's thievery check: 21


    If you fail the perception check
    Next time you look in your coin pouch, you find that it's 1d6=4 gold short.



    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyek View Post
    "Actually, no, we are not. In fact, we are here to get Hoofchew's head. Perhaps we can come to an ... arrangement." Raiyek flashes the dwarf a quick, smug, somewhat conspiratorial smile. "Perhaps if you were to help us locate Hoofchew and his orcs, we could ensure Hoofchew gets out of your hair, and do the same ourselves."
    The dwarf brightens visibly, and his hand moves away from his axe. "Hoofchew, eh? Is that what that leader of theirs be callin' himself? Suits him. We bin callin' him Swirly, 'cause of all the tattoos he's got on him. Well, now! 'Twould be a gracious favor ye'd be doin' me, if ye were t'give him a permanent reason to be elsewhere. But what makes ye think ye got the weight t'shove him around? No offense, mind; this is pretty and all," he taps Raiyek's plate admiringly, "But Swirly-face, he don't walk alone. He's got a lot of friends, orcs all impressed by them tattoos. I won't be givin' out the site of the Redboots lair to just anyone, even if we don't hold it just now."

    ooc: 11 successes, 4 failures. Just Kilbeth left for this round, I think...
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 322
      Last Post: Thursday, 6th May, 2010, 10:02 PM
    2. The Temple of Lauto
      By covaithe in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 100
      Last Post: Thursday, 21st January, 2010, 05:03 PM
    3. The Long Arm of Lauto:Broken Wards (DM:Ukingsken)
      By ukingsken in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 281
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th September, 2009, 06:38 AM
    4. Hoofchew: Behind the scenes
      By covaithe in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: Monday, 9th March, 2009, 11:51 PM
    5. long long post about my system of choice problem...
      By Spell in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 45
      Last Post: Wednesday, 28th September, 2005, 09:44 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •