The Long Arm of Lauto 1: Algarezh Hoofchew

balth

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
ooc: Sorry for the delays; real life is demanding some attention. Bear with me...

You put that real life back in the suffocating closet, where it belongs, mister! :)

It's ok, and yes, I really do drag a street urchin in all the time. That TOTALLY was what I was referring to, hehe.

Enjoying this pbp very much so far, thanks! :)

[/sblock]

Dawn Raven

First Post
The cool stone of the ruined building the group stood behind was pleasant against the back of Les's head. She looked up at the sky and wondered what how the fight was going to go. A cloud shaped like a sinuous snake drew a smile to her face and memories of an acquaintance from the Nest fell across her mind. The girl had been just slightly older than Les and had been a dancer at a tavern near the gambling den Les had been working at for awhile. The snake had been this huge boa constrictor from somewhere deep in the jungle brought back by her father just a few months before he died. The gith shook her head and her colored braids made slight sounds as they smacked against the stone. She let out a sigh and looked around herself.

The others were likewise scatterred about. Vashik looked impatient. Larinza looked somewhat bored and Les couldn't blame her, although what the human was thinking was hard to decode. Cross had his hat pulled down and his expression was hard to see. Les wondered what type of hard life he had lived just because of how he looked. He wouldn't have had any issues in Daunton or the Nest. No one cares how you look in the Nest, it is, after all, a collection of freaks and criminals. She pushed herself away from the wall with both palms and strode over to where Raiyek was standing. "That was a good play you pulled with the Redboot. You're very diplomatic. Did you learn that on your way up in rank in the Imperium?

[sblock]
No worries. If you can't post, I'll just try to rile up some conversation ^^
[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Raiyek finds himself enjoying this whole adventuring thing quite intensely. Sure, he likely should be waiting by the portal to return to Isolate Prime, they were about to help one street gang by taking out its rival, and here he was with his back to the wall spying through a hole like a criminal himself, but he couldn't help feeling exhilarated. As he scans the street around the orc shaman's hideout with his keen elven eyes, he finds himself wondering why he didn't do this sooner. The Imperium did have paladins in its service whose job it was to essentially go adventuring, rooting out evil creatures, but for some reason he had never been offered such a position, and never felt comfortable asking his superiors for such. Ah well, he thought, I'm getting a taste of adventure now. Better late than never. Not really all that late for an elf, either; he recalled how many of his comrades had gone through full military careers and retired, while he was still barely into the prime of his life. Yes, this was definitely better than campaigning - no overbearing commanders, the opportunity for subtlety and clever maneuvering, the responsibility of his companions' safety - these were things Raiyek had desired for some time, but had never really admitted to himself.

A voice shakes Raiyek out of his silent contemplation and observation - Les was speaking to him. "Heh, again you seem to assume that I had any significant rank in the Imperium," he says, throwing a wink toward the gith. "Though I suppose you're right, to an extent. I learned much about diplomacy and persuasion in my training at the temple of Palladys, and those skills have been honed somewhat over the years with some experience diffusing disputes in various garrisons. Nothing too special though, you just need to figure out what the person wants to hear, then tell him."

Drifting off into thought again, he gets a far-away look on his face. Almost in a trance, he asks, "Forgive me, but have you ever seen a friend die?" Seeming to come back to the present a bit more, he continues in a low voice, "I'll admit that I am finding this all quite exhilarating, but I cannot deny the lethal potential of this next encounter. It has been a long time since I have seen comrades die, and I do not care to have the experience repeated." The elf's piercing green eyes watch the gith as he waits for her reaction.

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk steps silently towards Raiyek and Les as they are deep in conversation and then farts loudly. "Oh...sorry...wasn't me...must of been one of the spell casters...hmmf." He walks back to his post, surveying the area, chuckling to himself.

OOC
[sblock]
No problem with the delays. I totally understand.
[/sblock]

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Larinza krinkles up her nose and looks at the smelly dwarf in disgust.

"Um.. um where was I, oh Magic, No, I wouldn't say I share my grandfather's feelings, I would simply say that my experience with magic is to say limited."

Larinza looks around at her fellows.

"Well Raiyek I for one am hoping none of us die today, but I supposed the orcs are hoping the same for their own kind as well."

SeaPainter

First Post
Kruk steps silently towards Raiyek and Les as they are deep in conversation and then farts loudly. "Oh...sorry...wasn't me...must of been one of the spell casters...hmmf." He walks back to his post, surveying the area, chuckling to himself.

An overpowering grin can be seen breaking out from the hat-brim's shadow on Cross's face. He takes a few steps away from the group, pulling his brim down with one hand, while making waving gestures with his other... as if to fend off an offensive odor...

[sblock=Are you perceptive enough to notice this?]Cross begins some finger wiggling & quiet whispering, so as not to be overheard.(Ghost Sound)[/sblock]
Suddenly, a frantic voice begins pleading for help. "Oh, dear! Someone please help me... it smells just awful in here, and some sort of dead rodent just shot past me on a gust of foul air. I don't know how much longer I can hold on... AAUUUGH"

It doesn't take long for the party to realize that the desperate cries seem to be coming from the back of Kruk's pants!

Dawn Raven

First Post
Yellow eyes stare at Raiyek and her lips tighten. Les’s eyes dart to the lower left in remembrance of something long ago. She gives a slight mental sigh and wonders briefly why he asks something like this. What is his ulterior motive? What does he intend? Is there even something else to that question? Why must I always think so…
She looks back and him and opens her mouth before closing it and considering what to say. Well…I don’t know what he intends. But let’s see how they react to just a sliver…

It has happened. There was this one girl…a kobold just a few years older than me, at the time. She was so sedulous and even a bit magnanimous. She offered to help me out many times. At least until she got caught up in…well, she ended up at the wrong end of a foot of steel. I held her little form in my arms as her life leaked out into the dirty streets. Nothing is ever beautiful in that city… Les had been looking at the moss and grass covered cobbles during her terse speech. She looks up now at the others, her eyes having a blank look to them.

The gith looked aghast at the dwarf and wondered where he grew up. His etiquette reminded her of an old pirate she had once known… At this the slight smile that had been hovering around her lips fell to the ground, withering and dying like a child left in the cold. Cross’s misdirection simply confused her. She looked to Kruk and tilted her head to one side, her fingers coming up to pull idly at a bronze braid. It is as close to staring slack-mouthed as she gets.

[sblock]Thanks for giving me an ending and beginning to another background story for Les! I had already introduced Slithik the kobold in another story but this gives me another fun short to write.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Brutoni

First Post
"We really, really need a way to communicate telepathically or magically. It would allow the scouts in the group to function better as snipers and battle disrupters!" Merenwen nodded to the warlord and quickly disapeared into the surroundings. Like a ghost she melded into the urban cover despite her vivid hair and eye colour. Focusing intently the elf called back on the lessons from her mentor, perception was as important as stealth, she should ensure while scouting an enemy position that she was paying attention to the building.
With that in mind she slowed her pace a little, taking time to search her surroundings, she was in no immediate danger and it would not do to run into an orc patrol!

[sblock=OCC]
Perception roll = 1d20+10[2,10] = (12) Roll Lookup
Stealth roll = 1d20+10[12,10] = (22) Roll Lookup

Well perception wasn't great but stealth certainly seems to be good :).

Merenwen will skirt round the building, then slowly get closer and repeat the search untill she finds a good sniper spot from which to target orcs in the building. Ideally with soft cover but not too much difficult terrain, shes a mobile character and i'll need that mobility if i get assaulted by orcs!

Next round though if i can i'll take 10 for my perception tests as Merenwen is in no immediate danger, can't remember if i can do that with perception skill though?
[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Raiyek shakes his head at the antics of Kruk and Cross. He smiles bemusedly, glad for the distraction from his thoughts of sadder times long ago and far away. "I must apologize, Les, I didn't mean to stir up painful memories in you or anyone else. Thank you, though, for your openness. I am sorry for your loss, and I truly hope we can avoid similar fates today." His serious expression dissolving back into enthusiasm for the task at hand, he says, "But, pining over the past won't change that! We must focus on the task at hand."

[sblock=ooc]I may be scarce over the next couple days - writing a final on Saturday, then travelling again. I'll try to check in when I can (which may or may not be as often as usual - we'll see ;)).[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases