The Long Arm of Lauto 1: Algarezh Hoofchew - Page 16




  1. #151
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    dimsdale's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    3,542
    Blog Entries
    1

    Ignore dimsdale
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaPainter View Post
    An overpowering grin can be seen breaking out from the hat-brim's shadow on Cross's face. He takes a few steps away from the group, pulling his brim down with one hand, while making waving gestures with his other... as if to fend off an offensive odor...

    Are you perceptive enough to notice this?
    Cross begins some finger wiggling & quiet whispering, so as not to be overheard.(Ghost Sound)

    Suddenly, a frantic voice begins pleading for help. "Oh, dear! Someone please help me... it smells just awful in here, and some sort of dead rodent just shot past me on a gust of foul air. I don't know how much longer I can hold on... AAUUUGH"

    It doesn't take long for the party to realize that the desperate cries seem to be coming from the back of Kruk's pants!

    While on guard duty Kruk hears an unfamiliar voice. After searching to his right and left he still has not determined the source. To his horror, Kruk learns that the sound is coming from his on arse. "What the..." Kruk stops himself from talking and listens to the rest of the quotes from his talking arse. He then looks around to his group, all of which are staring at him, but only one with a huge grin on his face....Cross. Kruk looks at Cross and states, "I think I had that coming didn't I?" He laughs and tips his helm to Cross and then resumes his watch.

 

  • #152
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    My communities:

    The three rangers move through the rubble quietly, circling the tavern and climbing up nearby buildings to get a look through the upper floor's windows. As far as they can tell, they are not spotted by the building's occupants. Balth manages to get a peek through a knothole in one of the boards covering the ground floor windows.

    Returning, the scouts report. Inside the tavern, orcs are seated at scattered tables. They are listening to Hoofchew, who is speaking from behind the bar, making theatrical gestures over what appear to be the remains of some small... animal, hopefully. Hoofchew is flanked by two large, well-equipped orcs; clearly guards. On the second floor there are a few lookouts, one well-equipped like the guards below, but they appear to be paying more attention to Hoofchew than to the surrounding streets.

    map

    Code:
       A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z AABBCCDDEEFFGGHHIIJJKK
    ==============================================================================
    01| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    02| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    03| . . . .W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    04| . . . .W. .T.O8 . . .T. . . .O1T. . . . . . . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    05| . . . .W. .T. . . . .T. . . .O2T. . . . .x.G2 . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    06| . . . .D. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .x. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    07| . . . .D. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .x.HC . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    08| . . . .W. . . . . . . . . .O3 . . . . . .x. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    09| . . . .W. . .T. . . .T. . .T. . . .T. . .x.G1 . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    10| . . . .W. . .T. . . .T. . .T.O4 . .T. . .x. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    11| . . . .W. . . . .O7 . . . . . . . . . . .x.x.x.x.x.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    12| . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . . .O5 . . . . . . . . .D. . . . . . . . . . .|
    13| . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .D. . . . . . . . . . .|
    14| . . . .W. . .T. . . . . . .T. . .T. .T. . . . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    15| . . . .W. . .T. . . . . . .T. . .T. .T. . . . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    16| . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .s.s.s.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    17| . . . .W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    18| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    19| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    20| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    21| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    22| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    23| . . . .W.W. . .W.W.W.W.W. . .W.W.W.W. . .W.W. . .W.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    24| . . . . . . . . .T.T. . . . .G3T.T. . . .T.T. . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    25| . . . . . . . . .T.T. . . . . .T.T. . . .T.T. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    26| . . . .W.T.T. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .T.T. . . . . . . . . . . .|
    27| . . . .W. . . . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    28| . . . . . . . . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    29| . . . . .T.T. . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    30| . . . .W. . . . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . .T.T. . . . . . . . . . . .|
    31| . . . .W. . . . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    32| . . . .W. . . . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    33| . . . . .T.T. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    34| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    35| . . . .W. . . . .T. . . .T. . .06T. . . .T. . . .s.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    36| . . . .W. . . . .T. . . .T. . . .T. . . .T. .*.*.s.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    37| . . . .W.W. . .W.W.W.W.W. . .W.W.W.W. . .W.W. . .W.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
    38| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    39| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    40| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
    =============================================================================
    Legend:

    Rows 21 and higher represent the second floor. A21 is directly above A1,
    I23 is above I3, etc.

    W = wall.
    T = table. Provides cover, Athletics or Acrobatics DC 10 to leap on as part of a move
    x = bar. Provides cover. Athletics or Acrobatics DC 15 to leap on
    D = door
    * = open to the floor below
    s = stairs

    HC = Hoofchew
    G = guard
    O = orc


    ooc: Place yourselves anywhere outside the building. On the ground floor requires no actions; getting to the second floor requires an athletics check to climb as part of your surprise round action. Give me a surprise round action and initiative for the next rounds. Act in whatever order you see fit for the surprise round; feel free to coordinate.

    ooc2: Also, I know the holidays are coming up and many people will have reduced connectivity and/or leisure to post, but please do speak up if you expect to be more than a day or two without posting. Combat is going to be slow enough with 9 PCs.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • #153
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    ukingsken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Valley, NS, Canada
    Posts
    738

    Ignore ukingsken
    My communities:

    ooc
    Well my first thought is to try and follow a few of the frontliners in and drop my daily on Hoofchew, any opinions?


    If one of you are so inclined I will attempt a powerful invocation against Hoofchew. A quick strike against him would be a solid blow to their morale.

    Initiative

    Last edited by ukingsken; Saturday, 20th December, 2008 at 02:53 PM.
    2+2=4 Fate is certain.
    LEB Judge Circa 2009

    My Chracters
    L4W Characters

    Vashik One Eye
    Verrigath Hazzire (Pending Approval)

    LEB Characters

    Cleaver d'Deneith

    Other Characters

    Orim Tyudik


  • #154
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Dawn Raven's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    212

    Ignore Dawn Raven
    My communities:

    The report by the forward scouts draws a brief frown from Les. Hoofchew must be either incompetent or very confident to have such weak lookouts. Les looks to the others and a facetious smile grows across her faceher skin stretching like a nightmare in a way that no human can do. Her teeth are slightly peaked and sharp and her yellow eyes amplify the disturbing effect. So my fellow intrepid and sedulous adventurers, shall we show this maverick the obdurate derision of Lautos Church? This spurious shaman shall be rescinded on the end of our blades!

    With this statement, Les reaches into her satchel and whips out her weapon. A long, silver chain covered in small barbs and that ends in long blades resembling shark fins wraps around her armor and runs along now obvious marks in the hide. The addition of Less spiked chain wrapped around her body combined with her metallic and colored braids cause her to seem like something drawn from another world, another dimension even. [OOC: Hey, gith are- freaky looking already!] The nightmarish smile returns and a flash of sadistic glee appears momentarily before being buried again from the others.
    Do we have any high positions for any of our ranged allies to take up? If you can strike at the two guards on the upper level we could achieve an advantage. Additionally, we can take up positions at both doors and; if lucky, the orcs may rush out when they are under attack. We can thus divide up their forces, or if they take to only one door, we can easily push them into a pincer attack.

  • #155
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    153

    Ignore balth
    Balth smiles a wry smile after relaying what he saw through the knothole. So what's the plan, then? He looks directly at Raiyek as he speaks. He looks as tho he might be scrutinizing the elf's next reply. Would you have me attempt to take out a sentry on the second level? Or would you prefer me to cover your backs with fire as you storm the ground level?

    He smiles widely, anticipation clearly evident in his eye, yet the deep scar running up his face gives you a slight chill of foreboding.


    OOC
    I will post my surprise round action after conferring with the others. Also, can you spend an action point in the surprise round?
    Signature


    Check out my new iPhone app iNit, the only Initiative Tracker for the iPhone/iPod touch! Every DM should have it!

  • #156
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Lord Sessadore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Posts
    2,527

    Ignore Lord Sessadore
    My communities:

    Seeing Les' nightmarish display, Raiyek is taken aback for a moment, but then regains his composure. "Ah, so that's your unusual taste in weaponry." Taking a moment to examine the weapon, he says, "Yes, unusual indeed. It seems you know your way around it, though; I'm eager to see what it can do."

    "As for what we should do ... I'm unsure. I also like the idea of the archers taking positions on the second level; if we could hold the stairs from below they should be fairly safe from harassment. I suppose we could split the rest of us into two other groups, one for each door, I'm just concerned that we might not be able to support each other if the need arises."

    ooc
    Initiative: 1d20+2=17. I'll also post my surprise round action after a little more input.
    Current and past PbP: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4853360-post58.html

  • #157
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    dimsdale's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    3,542
    Blog Entries
    1

    Ignore dimsdale
    Kruk, eager for battle, grips his battle axe with both hands taking a practice swing. "I hate orcs!" he states. "I'm ready."


    OOC

    I'll state my move after more planning as well
    initative roll: 1D20 = 12
    Last edited by dimsdale; Saturday, 20th December, 2008 at 08:30 PM.

  • #158
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Dawn Raven's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    212

    Ignore Dawn Raven
    My communities:

    The gith lets out a short laugh and shakes her head. "I think you may have misunderstood my intentions. There are ten orcs on the ground level and two on the upper floors. They outnumber us, although only by a little. Either way we should take advantage of the opportunity given to us. Mainly, I hope to lure the orcs on the ground floor out of the building. With us placed around both doorways, it will allow us to corner them into a small position and opening. Hopefully this strategy will allow our snipers and magicians to take out the ones of the upper floor while we hold the others at bay.

    Once that is finished we can move on to have our artillery focus on one door. One group will focus on keeping the orcs occupied. The other, with the help of our artillery, will work on slaughtering all the orcs trying to exit through their side. Then they can move inside and make a rear attack. Of course, it is doubtful the orcs will let this go in such a manner. I expect them to either barricade the doors if we attempt this, which is actually good for us, or to move to the upper floor and proceed to bombard us from that floor, which is also good for us.

    If the first occurs, we focus on one entrance and the upper floor. If the second occurs, we can push through anything on the ground floor easier because they will have split up their troops. Essentially the second event just leads to a variation of the same tactic. Is that cogent?


    Les takes a breath and looks around at the others.

    OOC

    So..yea holding on actions hoping for an agreement on tactics. I hope that it doesn't tie down combat...when I play IRL my groups usually throw one or two sound ideas down and try to use them for our advantage. It always helps to have a sound battle plan.

    [P.S. I love warlords]

  • #159
    Member SILVER SUBSCRIBER
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    DarwinofMind's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Ponca City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,312
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore DarwinofMind
    My communities:

    "Ah, I was getting excited for a full frontal charge, old school, but I see how your plan has much more merit. Although I don't know that I want to be in close quaters when that chain starts swinging."



    ooc
    Initiative (1d20+2=18) I wish to take up position at the rear door standing at BB11 if I'm reading that right.

  • #160
    Initiative
    1d20+1=10, Roll Lookup


    Cross looks over the old tavern, and up to the second floor. I'm not getting up there without stairs, unless I'm carried... he thinks ruefully. He reconsiders the scouts' reports of the layout, and tries to think of an idea that doesn't involve him trying to scale a building...

    "If we break up into three teams; front door, back door & second floor team... archers take the second floor; Kruk, Raiyek, Vashik and Larinza on the front; and Les, Balth and I come in the back.

    As far as timing goes... we have the element of surprise, but maybe we can prolong it. If the heavy hitters take the front door first, closely followed by the back door team... that will draw the orcs attention, especially the upstairs guards. While this is going on the archers will be climbing to take the second floor... by the time they enter the upstairs guards should be focused on us, allowing the archers to surprise them... and I should be able to drop a giant ball of fire on the stairs to discourage anyone else from going up to harrass them.

    I'm not primarily a tactician, but what do you think?"
    Mini Stat

    Cross- Male Tiefling Wizard 1
    Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 18
    AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:14, Will:14 -- Speed:6
    Fire Resistance/5
    HP:25/25, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:5/8
    Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    Powers-
    Blood Hunt (+1 vs bloodied foes)
    Magic Missle
    Scorching Burst
    Ghost Sound
    Light
    Mage Hand
    Prestidigitation
    Burning Hands
    Infernal Wrath
    Flaming Sphere

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 322
      Last Post: Thursday, 6th May, 2010, 10:02 PM
    2. The Temple of Lauto
      By covaithe in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 100
      Last Post: Thursday, 21st January, 2010, 05:03 PM
    3. The Long Arm of Lauto:Broken Wards (DM:Ukingsken)
      By ukingsken in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 281
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th September, 2009, 06:38 AM
    4. Hoofchew: Behind the scenes
      By covaithe in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: Monday, 9th March, 2009, 11:51 PM
    5. long long post about my system of choice problem...
      By Spell in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 45
      Last Post: Wednesday, 28th September, 2005, 09:44 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •