The Long Arm of Lauto 1: Algarezh Hoofchew - Page 17




  1. #161
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    153

    Ignore balth
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaPainter View Post
    . While this is going on the archers will be climbing to take the second floor... by the time they enter the upstairs guards should be focused on us, allowing the archers to surprise them... and I should be able to drop a giant ball of fire on the stairs to discourage anyone else from going up to harrass them.

    I'm not primarily a tactician, but what do you think?"
    Balth arches an eyebrow at the mention of the archers climbing to the second floor. With a large inviting smile on his face, he says Climbing should be no problem! Let me pull my grappling hook out of my quiver... He reaches back, feeling around behind him, and shrugs his shoulders while the smile vanishes from his face, all signs of good humor disappearing as he shows his empty, open hand he reached back with to you. Running through the forest? Yes. Blending with shadows? Yes. Scaling sheer walls? I would need to be a half-spider to accomplish such things well. He separates his fingers. No webbing. Not to mention, setting a set of wooden stairs on fire with magic fire in a wooden building while your archers are on the second floor...?

    He trails off, nodding towards Les. I like her plan better. It doesn't involve me attempting to shimmy up the side of a building in broad daylight. If they charge out the bottom, we shoot them. If they charge upstairs, we shoot them. In my experience, simple generally works best.

    He pulls out an arrow from his quiver. Many of these, I have. He smiles broadly once again, the scar on his face becoming very pronounced. I do not mean to offend; it is just that I think we should play to our strengths. That, and I care not to be flame broiled this day. It would hardly make for a fitting song of our deeds. He sounds rather sincere about both points.

    OOC
    Insert "Have it your way" Burger King theme here. I'll take one flame-broiled elf, hold the quivers, please
    Signature


    Check out my new iPhone app iNit, the only Initiative Tracker for the iPhone/iPod touch! Every DM should have it!

 

  • #162
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Lord Sessadore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Posts
    2,527

    Ignore Lord Sessadore
    My communities:

    Raiyek mulls over the conversation on tactics so far, thinking over the pluses and minuses of the various plans. "Les' plan seems sound to me; the only problem I can see is if we don't get inside soon enough and they barricade us out, we could be in trouble."

    The paladin takes a moment to think, then offers another set of suggestions. "I would also like to keep the fighting inside, away from any possible innocents. Perhaps if the main group could storm in and take the stairs? Use the stairs as the choke point instead of the door; that way we keep the battle contained, limit how many of them can fight us, and our archers can take up positions on the balcony if they so choose. We could have another group at the other door to come in for a rear attack once the fighting has started, as well." After a short pause, he says, "What do you all think of that?"

    ooc
    @covaithe: what kind of DC are we talking about for the Athletics check to scale the wall to the 2nd storey? Wondering if it's feasible to plan on or not ... then again, both of our archers (who I was thinking were the most likely to scale the building and enter on the 2nd floor) have +0 Athletics :S
    Current and past PbP: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4853360-post58.html

  • #163
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    153

    Ignore balth
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sessadore View Post
    Raiyek mulls over the conversation on tactics so far, thinking over the pluses and minuses of the various plans. "Les' plan seems sound to me; the only problem I can see is if we don't get inside soon enough and they barricade us out, we could be in trouble."
    Balth nods at this point, it had apparently crossed his mind, as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sessadore View Post
    Perhaps if the main group could storm in and take the stairs? Use the stairs as the choke point instead of the door; that way we keep the battle contained, limit how many of them can fight us, and our archers can take up positions on the balcony if they so choose." After a short pause, he says, "What do you all think of that?"
    Balth cocks his head for a moment, thinking. Do you mean as in have us storm in with you, and fend off the people downstairs as upstairs is secured and then give you support from above while you take the fight back downstairs? If so, I like the sound of that. He grins, toothily, for an elf.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sessadore View Post

    ooc
    then again, both of our archers (who I was thinking were the most likely to scale the building and enter on the 2nd floor) have +0 Athletics :S Oh sure, I can do a triple-back-handspring out the window and down the wall, but I'm likely to kill myself going up it. Thanks, acrobatics vs. athletics!
    Signature


    Check out my new iPhone app iNit, the only Initiative Tracker for the iPhone/iPod touch! Every DM should have it!

  • #164
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Lord Sessadore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Posts
    2,527

    Ignore Lord Sessadore
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by balth View Post
    Balth cocks his head for a moment, thinking. Do you mean as in have us storm in with you, and fend off the people downstairs as upstairs is secured and then give you support from above while you take the fight back downstairs? If so, I like the sound of that. He grins, toothily, for an elf.
    Raiyek smiles back at Balth, saying, "Yes, something like that. Of course, 'no plan survives contact with the enemy', so things will likely change on us anyway. As long as we can keep the orcs from being right in your face you can do your work, correct?"

    ooc
    Yeah, I figure with 9 PCs, 5 of which are melee-oriented, we should be able to find enough people to block for the ranged attackers for the round or two it'll take to get to the stairs The only problem with bunching up like that is if Hoofchew himself has some sort of AOE power (I wouldn't be surprised if he did, to be honest).

    Current and past PbP: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4853360-post58.html

  • #165
    Quote Originally Posted by balth View Post
    Not to mention, setting a set of wooden stairs on fire with magic fire in a wooden building while your archers are on the second floor...?
    I see elf... you misunderstood me. I meant that I could quite literally place a ball of fire on the stairs... and move it around, and use it to chase away anyone who tried to go up after you two.

    Why you would assume I'm stupid enough to suggest simply setting the building on fire after we entered it... of course, I was guilty of assuming that you would be capable of getting up into an advantageous firing position and shooting your arrows into a crowd engaged in melee without hitting your comrades. Perhaps it would be safer for everyone if you're shoulder-to-shoulder with us on the killing floor.

    We'll just let them keep the high ground, or we can try walking up the stairs in a straight line... I'm sure they don't have any way to stop us from just walking up there... and I'm sure we won't have to take cover from the orcs' arrows, giving the shaman plenty of time to work some form of magic against us. No, no... I'm sure a nice, simple "walk in & hope for the best" plan will work fine.

    Hell, I'm not that worried either way... because if we do this simple, then I'm one of the last ones through the door.
    Mini Stat

    Cross- Male Tiefling Wizard 1
    Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 18
    AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:14, Will:14 -- Speed:6
    Fire Resistance/5
    HP:25/25, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:5/8
    Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    Powers-
    Blood Hunt (+1 vs bloodied foes)
    Magic Missle
    Scorching Burst
    Ghost Sound
    Light
    Mage Hand
    Prestidigitation
    Burning Hands
    Infernal Wrath
    Flaming Sphere

  • #166
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    ukingsken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Valley, NS, Canada
    Posts
    738

    Ignore ukingsken
    My communities:

    Enough bickering. Les speaks soundly but Raiyek is right, we cant chance being barricaded out of the building. We should take action soon lest we lose the element of surprise.

    ooc
    My plan still stands for vashik. The minute I'm inside I'm firing an acid arrow at Hoofchew


    acid arrow
    Primary attack (1d20+5=19) Primary Attack
    secondary attack (1d20+5=20) Secondary Attack 1
    secondary attack (1d20+5=19) Secondary Attack 2
    primary damage (2d8+5=18) Primary Damage
    secondary damage (1d8+5=9, 1d8+5=6) Secondary Damage 1&2


    ooc
    I realize the guards are not currently adjacent but this way if they move no one is waiting on me.
    2+2=4 Fate is certain.
    LEB Judge Circa 2009

    My Chracters
    L4W Characters

    Vashik One Eye
    Verrigath Hazzire (Pending Approval)

    LEB Characters

    Cleaver d'Deneith

    Other Characters

    Orim Tyudik


  • #167
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    dimsdale's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    3,542
    Blog Entries
    1

    Ignore dimsdale
    Kruk hears strategies from everyone and then states: "If we're kicking down the door, let me go first! I will scream a battle cry and attack the first orc I see. All attention will be drawn to me so that the rest of you can attack unsuspecting targets (he nods to One Eye about his proposed attack on HC). Besides, I need room to swing my axe."


    OOC
    My initial attack will be a brute strike. I'll make the roll when all plans are finalized. My target is orc 05 assuming we bash through the door closest to the stairs.
    Last edited by dimsdale; Sunday, 21st December, 2008 at 03:12 PM.

  • #168
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    My communities:

    climb DCs and initiatives
    Sorry, should have mentioned this earlier. This building, like most in Overgrowth, is covered in clinging vines, so it's not terribly difficult to climb. Call it DC 12.

    For initiative, don't forget that you've got warlords in the group.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • #169
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    153

    Ignore balth
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaPainter View Post
    we can try walking up the stairs in a straight line... I'm sure they don't have any way to stop us from just walking up there...
    He seems to acknowledge your returned sarcasm, but does not reply in kind. If you can use that fire without setting the building on fire, then so be it. But we do have the element of surprise, and I agree we should act quickly while we still have it. The tables inside can be knocked over for cover.

    If Kruk will be taking the one closest to the door on the left, then that should allow me to get to one of the tables on the far south of the building, and shoot the one on the far right of the room. The only one pretty much directly between the stairs and us. If the second story guards come down the stair, then you get to use your ball of fire. If they don't, then you get to use it downstairs. Either way, like you pointed out, you'll be in the back, and I'll be covering you and clearing the way. Just get to those southern tables as the path becomes clear, and I will keep anyone who approaches you full of arrows until we reach the stair, Cross.


    He nods to Raiyek, if you shiney types can keep them off Cross and I, we can most effectively pick off the reinforcements as they arrive, as well as any who look to flee.

    Suprise round action
    Move to behind the table at g14 and Twin Strike orc7.

    OOC: It's usually one action in a suprise round, right? Can I hunter's quarry or no? I'm a little confused how that works, since moving and shooting would be two actions? Also, I asked earlier, can you spend an AP in the surprise round, or no?
    Signature


    Check out my new iPhone app iNit, the only Initiative Tracker for the iPhone/iPod touch! Every DM should have it!

  • #170
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    My communities:

    surprise round clarifications
    I had to go look this stuff up myself, but you're right: only one action in a surprise round, either standard, move, or minor, but not a normal full round's action, and no action points. See PHB p.267.

    Since hunter's quarry takes a minor action, you can't both apply it and attack in the surprise round.

    Sorry, I should have clarified this earlier, since it will necessarily affect your tactics. You may also want to keep in mind that breaking down a wooden door requires a DC 16 strength check as a standard action.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 322
      Last Post: Thursday, 6th May, 2010, 10:02 PM
    2. The Temple of Lauto
      By covaithe in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 100
      Last Post: Thursday, 21st January, 2010, 05:03 PM
    3. The Long Arm of Lauto:Broken Wards (DM:Ukingsken)
      By ukingsken in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 281
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th September, 2009, 06:38 AM
    4. Hoofchew: Behind the scenes
      By covaithe in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: Monday, 9th March, 2009, 11:51 PM
    5. long long post about my system of choice problem...
      By Spell in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 45
      Last Post: Wednesday, 28th September, 2005, 09:44 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •