The Long Arm of Lauto 1: Algarezh Hoofchew

balth

First Post
Balth, spitting some blood, eyes the guard warily. He shifts northward about five feet, to get some distance between him and the guard.

He holds the bow sideways, with both hands defensively, and takes a moment to channel his inner strength. He thought of his friend Torm, and how they would meditate together. He felt the magical energies swirl about him and his wounds closed a bit. He also felt a surge of energy as he thought about avenging torm, and the guard that just attacked him was the perfect scapegoat for his anger.

You'll pay for that blow, Orc. He uses his surge of energy to focus as he draws his bow to his cheek. He reaches back and threads two arrows onto the bowstring at once, letting them fly. He sees they are both most likely going to miss, so he sings a quick tune that Torm had shown him. The first arrow wobbled through the air, attempting to change direction slightly, but still missed. He readied himself for the oncoming attack.

[sblock=Actions]

Movement - Shift 1 square north.
Minor - Mark G3 with Hunter's Quarry
Standard - Second Wind, +2 to all defenses, 5 HP healed.
Action Point Spent: Two-Fanged Strike
Two-Fanged Strike #1 and #2, Respectively. (1d20 7=10, 1d20 7=15)

Immediate Interrupt: Elven Accuracy
Reroll for Two-Fanged #1 with Elven Accuracy (1d20 7=13)

I'm not going to even bother rolling damage. I think IC wants us ALL to die ;) [/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
ooc: If I could give a suggestion for Merenwen's action, I'd have her use a move action to get into position, then use the bonus movement from the attack to move north again (perhaps to P5), out of sight of the sniper. And ouch, IC really doesn't like Larinza!!

You're right. I blew that one.

I'll stick to rolling for Kruk :D

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Hearing Les's words, Larinza takes a deap breath and straightens herself up, she repositions herself next to Kruk keeping her guard up.
"This isn't good Kruk, I think that dart was poison, I'm not feeling too good."

She digs deep into her reserves to find her strength again.

[sblock="ooc"]
Healing from Les' inspiring word. (1d6+6=8)
Move Action to Shift to (looks like) Y10 next to Kruk next to the bar.
Standard Action for Second Wind 6hp
Save vs. -4 AC (1d20=19)
Save vs. Poison (1d20=13)
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Relax, you guys aren't in that bad shape... yet. IC isn't helping you any, and the tactical situation is not ideal for you, but it's not as bad as it looks. One of the things I like about 4e is that PCs have more ways to bounce back than monsters, leading to some very dramatic fights.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Yeah, we do still have a fair bit of healing potential yet - Les and Larinza each have one more Inspiring Word, Les still has her daily, I've still got all 3 of my Lay on Hands plus my daily, and most of us still have our 2nd winds. It does definitely lend itself to dramatic fights - a bit more of an HP roller coaster than 3.5, especially at this level. We can still last a while, but if IC doesn't start helping us soon we're going to have a really tough time finishing off all of the orcs here.

I'm mostly just concerned over how we're going to deal with those guards - I estimate they have ~20 AC and 60 hp apiece ... they're probably good targets for those who have non-AC attacks. Hoofchew is going to be tough, of course, but (I think) he has a lower AC so at least we'll hit him more often. But hey, anything can happen - it's only the 3rd round ;)

EDIT: I'll stop spamming the thread now. Back at Uni and classes have yet to get heavy, so I'm a little bored :p[/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
Hearing Les's words, Larinza takes a deap breath and straightens herself up, she repositions herself next to Kruk keeping her guard up.
"This isn't good Kruk, I think that dart was poison, I'm not feeling too good."

Kruk states to Larinza "I got your back, get your strength back...I'll keep'm busy."

covaithe

Explorer
Round 2, continued

Cross directs his flaming sphere to move and attack a guard, burning it with a cloud of rancid smoke, and following it with a burst of magic that catches Hoofchew square in the chest. (ooc: conjurations don't flank, see here. It hits anyway; G2 takes 9 damage. The magic missile is a crit; we don't confirm crits any more, they just do max damage, plus extra if you have a magic weapon. Hoofchew takes 12.)

Round 3

Merenwen moves out from beneath the balcony and fires at the sniper overhead, but misses, then quickly scampers back beneath the overhang. (ooc: evasive strike misses.)

Les shrieks a warcry, invigorating Larinza, and leaps onto the bar, whirling her spiked chain dramatically but without effect; she misses Hoofchew. (ooc: since Les made her athletics check, she doesn't need to spend extra movement to get onto the bar, and can make it to v7 without an AP. Viper's strike misses. Larinza regains 8 hp)

Kilbeth moves up beside Raiyek and attacks Hoofchew, swinging both oversized swords. Hoofchew evades one, but one penetrates his thick skin. Hoofchew at last shows signs of faltering; blood is visibly pooling around his feet. (twin strike hits once, Hoofchew takes 12 damage, and is bloodied. quarry damage here)

Raiyek prays quickly, granting Larinza a chance to shake off the poison, but she cannot quite rally. He then studies his foe for a moment before lashing out and catching Hoofchew in a weak spot. Emboldened by his success, Raiyek shakes off his fear. (holy strike hits; Hoofchew takes 11 radiant damage. Save succeeds.)

Balth steps away from the guard and steadies himself, then draws on his inner strength to fire two arrows toward the guard. Luck is not with him, though, and both arrows miss. (ooc: miss, miss. Balth regains 5 hp and has +2 to defenses until the start of his next turn)

Larinza moves next to Kruk, catching her breath and finally shaking off both the poison and the magical fear.

Vashik sags slightly as the poisoned dart takes effect, but he screams defiance and rains magic on the nearest guard, though after a prudent step back. (ooc: Vashik takes 5 ongoing poison damage. magic missile hits, g3 takes 10 damage. Vashik fails to shake off the poison.)

Hoofchew roars in pain, then steps back out of weapon range. He eyes Raiyek, Les, and Kilbeth coldly for a minute, then his eyes glitter with malice. Suddenly, he whirls and, leaping onto the bar, charges Vashik, planting his spear deep in the wizard's back! Golden light sears Hoofchew's flesh with divine radiance, but the orc just laughs wildly. "Perhaps I won't send you to Lauto. Perhaps I'll eat your soul myself, little mageling." He catches Vashik's eye, and though the wizard reflexively lashes out with his dagger, he is suddenly overcome with terror. But then with preternatural quickness, Hoofchew plunges his spear into Vashik again, seeming to grow stronger with the sudden bloodshed. The wounds are too much for Vashik, who drops to the ground, unconscious and bleeding.
(ooc: Move: shift to W8. Standard: charge Vashik. Athletics to clear the bar: 20. Les gets an OA. Charge hits Vashik for 11, and Hoofchew takes 5 radiant damage. Minor: Eye of Wrath vs. Vashik hits. Vashik gets an OA and takes -4 to AC, save ends. AP: Warrior's surge vs. Vashik, hits for 12 damage, and Hoofchew regains 16 HP (but is still bloodied). Vashik drops, dying.)

Made bold by their leader's dramatic charge, the guards move to their bloody work.

One charges Les, striking her legs a solid blow with his flail. (ooc: G2 charges, hits for 13 damage. Les is marked and slowed.)

The next attacks Kruk, but can't find an opening in the dwarf's defenses. He then attempts to shift to the northeast to join his comrade. (ooc: G1 misses. Kruk gets an OA to prevent the shift.)

The third steps to Cross and attacks him, flail heads once again thumping solidly into flesh. (ooc: hits, damage (rolled separately 'cause I screwed up the first roll) 12. Cross is marked and slowed.)

Kruk acts next...

(ooc: And I need OAs from Les, Vashik, and Kruk)

[sblock=Initiative and status]

Merenwen unharmed
Les 7/24, bloodied, marked by G2, slowed
Kilbeth 27/31, +8 temp HP
Raiyek 26/27
Orc grunts, all dead
Balth 21/22, +2 to defenses 'tsnt
Larinza 19/24, +2 defenses 'tsnt
Vashik -1/20, dying, 5 ongoing poison damage and slowed (save ends), -4 AC (save ends)
Orc Guard G3 10 damage
Hoofchew 57 damage, bloodied, divine challenged by Raiyek, Kilbeth's quarry, Raiyek's quarry 'tent
Orc Guard G1 2 damage, Balth's quarry, marked by Kruk
Orc Guard G2 23 damage
Kruk unharmed, +8 temp HP <== you're next
Orc Sniper unharmed, prone
Cross 21/25, marked by G3, slowed

Resources used:
* Vashik: Acid Arrow
* Cross: Flaming sphere, AP
* Larinza: Bulwark of Defense, Inspiring word x1, 3 surges, second wind
* Raiyek: AP, Channel Divinity, Hunter's Quarry
* Merenwen: Evasive Strike
* Les: Inspiring Word x1
* Balth: Two-fanged strike, AP, Second Wind, 1 surge, Elven Accuracy

* Hoofchew: AP, Warrior's Surge
[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
Code:
   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z AABBCCDDEEFFGGHHIIJJKK
==============================================================================
01| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
02| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
03| . . . .W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
04| . . . .W. .T. . . . .T. . . . .T. . . . . . . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
05| . . . .W. .T. . . . .T.[COLOR=yellow]M[/COLOR]. . . .T. . . . .x. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
06| . . . .D. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .x.[COLOR=yellow]R[/COLOR].[COLOR=yellow]Ki[/COLOR] . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
07| . . . .D. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[COLOR=yellow]Le[/COLOR] . . .[COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR].W. . . . . . . . . . .|
08| . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .x.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]G2[/COLOR] . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
09| . . . .W. . .T. . . .T. . .T. . . .T. . .x. .[COLOR="DarkOrange"]G1[/COLOR] . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
10| . . . .W. . .T. . . .T. . .T. . . .T. . .x. .[COLOR=yellow]Kr[/COLOR][COLOR=yellow]La[/COLOR] .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
11| . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .x.x.x.x.x.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
12| . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[COLOR="DarkOrange"]HC[/COLOR] .[COLOR=yellow]B[/COLOR]. .[COLOR="Yellow"]C[/COLOR]. . . . . . . . . . .|
13| . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[COLOR="Yellow"]V[/COLOR]. . .[COLOR="DarkOrange"]G3[/COLOR] . . . . . . . . . . .|
14| . . . .W. . .T. . . . . . .T. . .T. .T. . . . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
15| . . . .W. . .T. . . . . . .T. . .T. .T. . . . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
16| . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .s.s.s.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
17| . . . .W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
18| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
19| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
20| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
21| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
22| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
23| . . . .W.W. . .W.W.W.W.W. . .W.W.W.W. . .W.W. . .W.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
24| . . . . . . . . .T.T. . . . . .T.T. . . .T.T. . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
25| . . . . . . . . .T.T. . . . . .T.T. . . .T.T. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
26| . . . .W.T.T. . . . . . . . . . .[COLOR="DarkOrange"]S[/COLOR]. . . . . . .T.T. . . . . . . . . . . .|
27| . . . .W. . . . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
28| . . . . . . . . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
29| . . . . .T.T. . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
30| . . . .W. . . . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . .T.T. . . . . . . . . . . .|
31| . . . .W. . . . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
32| . . . .W. . . . .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. . . . .W. . . . . . . . . . .|
33| . . . . .T.T. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
34| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
35| . . . .W. . . . .T. . . .T. . . .T. . . .T. . . .s.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
36| . . . .W. . . . .T. . . .T. . . .T. . . .T. .*.*.s.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
37| . . . .W.W. . .W.W.W.W.W. . .W.W.W.W. . .W.W. . .W.W. . . . . . . . . . .|
38| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|