The Long Arm of Lauto 1: Algarezh Hoofchew

ukingsken

First Post
Vashik nods quickly at cross, thanking him for lighting his cigar. He takes a long draw, and turns to the others.

Let us be gone then. We have no time to waste.

With that Vashik turns toward overgrowth, hoping the others will follow suit.

Last edited:

LightRailCoyote

First Post
Rather than respond to the sympathetic clamor raised at his story, Kilbeth decided to stay silent, trying to shove the spotlight away from him. "Merenwen and I can scout ahead. I can be quiet if the need arises, and she seems to be less suited to close quarters than I am. No offense, Meren. Is it all right if I call you Meren? I hope it is. I hope I..." Kilbeth's sentence peters out, and his face colors as he falls quiet.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Larinza looks to the minotaur and she speaks to him softly out of the earshot of others. "I am truely sorry I have brought up bad memories. I have lost someone myself, My family farm was burned, and my parents are gone, I know not where. So I do wish you the best of luck in your quest."

Turning the the rest of the group. "I am prepared." She follows Vashik. Don't get too far ahead."

Brutoni

First Post
"Meren will do fine, as for a companion then yes someone skilled in stealth but capable in melee would ease any combat situation i may encounter..." A ghostly smile dances across the elf's face. "Though things have gone wrong if we have been detected!" Merenwen's face paused in thought, she was obviously racking her brains for something. "My foster... parent... used to be able to conduct some sort of spell, though more lengthly than the usual ones, that allowed basic mental contact? Is that possible, it seemed like a spell though i could be wrong. Either way i was able to recieve and also send brief messages to him. In scouting ahead it proved exceptionally useful?" The elf looked at the wizards, expecting to be mocked. In truth she didn't know how her foster parent had managed and really wished she had paid more attention to his religous lessons.

balth

First Post
"And what of you? It doesn't seem you were in the legions, though your accent marks you as a subject of the Imperium; when did you make your way to Daunton, and what was the occassion?"

Balth straightens upright, and begins to walk with the others.

I escaped the Imperium and my parent's plans for me to serve in the Senate to find adventure and friendship. I found more than I bargained for in both. I stumbled across a Dwarven stronghold, and had fallen very ill. A family took me in, and I befriended their son, Torm. He showed a talent for magic, and we set out; we quickly became popular, as we started doing a form of storytelling I have not seen elsewhere. Torm would illustrate the stories with magic illusions while I played the lute to accompany him. We would both sing. When we found ourselves at a destination, circumstances usually fell to allow us to help people. For ten years, we have traveled the lands, rescuing maidens from cults, ridding farmlands of kobolds and once even slaying a fiend who drank souls.

The story turned dark a fortnight ago, when we were set upon by brigands, the likes of which I have never seen. There were at least twenty of them, perhaps more. I saw them kill Torm. My bow was not fast enough that day.

This...
he traces the scar with his index finger from his chin to his hairline ..is the only memory I have left of my friend. His body was nowhere to be found. I was lucky to find my armor and weapons, and this is the first place I managed to find. I honestly have no idea where 'this' is, even.

He puts his hand up against the sun, letting his hand's shadow spill over his face.

But Phoebus is not unkind. I still live, and there are still those in need.

He absentmindedly runs his other hand over his lute on his chest. He lowers his hand, but still looks into the sun, squinting one eye as he walks.

If I can pluck a string and lift a man out of sorrow, or remind him of love lost, have I not left the world a bit better than I found it?

He raises his hand back to the sun, seeming more now to be lost in thought, out-loud, than to be answering your query. He repeats the rhetorical question barely audibly to himself, Have I not?

"...Thanks, Balth. Oily indeed, but after all, he does keep the ledger. Those who count coins with such fervor are usually smarmy ones."

Kilbeth's words snap him from his thought. Aye, Kilbeth. I suppose they probably say the same about us. He chuckles slightly. Perhaps Phoebus will smile on us, and this Hoofchew business will align with your goals. Mayhaps we will find for that which you search.

Either way, my bow is at your back, friend.

"My foster... parent... used to be able to conduct some sort of spell, though more lengthly than the usual ones, that allowed basic mental contact? Is that possible, it seemed like a spell though i could be wrong. Either way i was able to recieve and also send brief messages to him. In scouting ahead it proved exceptionally useful?"

Aye, Merenwen, you speak wisely. Torm and I had used the spell on several occasions; but the cost was prohibitive. At least, that's what Torm always said. Still, when it was necessary for us to divide our fronts, it proved most useful.

Are your foster parents well? he asked, seeming genuine in his inquiry.

[sblock=OOC]timeout connections with the site after a day's worth of writing = timeout connection with the site after a day's worth of writing. le sigh.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Besides, from what I hear, this is not the sort of place to be caught alone. Not that I doubt your skills at stealth. Elves are, after all, the skulking sort. With this comment she winks at the three elves in general and lets out a short laugh. So, we head out now. Raiyek, have you garnered directions for our travel? If so we can decide a more concrete plan after getting to the general location. It is a good idea to scout ahead, but at the same time I think we can make use of the other inhabitants of Overgrowth. There should be at least a few cowardly sneaks we can smoke out and exchange some coin with for word on Hoofchew's lair. No one can avoid Lauto's justice for long, even if a group of heterodox adventurers bring that justice.
"Merenwen and I can scout ahead. I can be quiet if the need arises, and she seems to be less suited to close quarters than I am.
"Meren will do fine, as for a companion then yes someone skilled in stealth but capable in melee would ease any combat situation i may encounter..." A ghostly smile dances across the elf's face. "Though things have gone wrong if we have been detected!"
"Yes, Vashik is heading in the right direction." With a wink he adds, "It's not hard to find, I just thought it would be best to look like we knew where we were headed."

As the group walks, Raiyek talks strategy with those who are interested. "As for scouting, a thought occurred to me. Are any of us skilled at disguise and misdirection? I was thinking that someone who appeared to be a fellow denizen of Overgrowth would not have to be concerned about staying to the shadows, and would look much less conspicuous if spotted." Looking over at Meren and Kilbeth, he adds, "Not that there's anything wrong with your method of scouting." He thinks for a moment before continuing. "Perhaps both methods would be advantageous used together. That would also allow more strength in the scouting party in case things get messy. Les makes a good suggestion, too - no reason the fickle allegiances in the Overgrowth need be our enemy."

"All that aside, we will have to think of some place for those of us not scouting to wait that is close enough to help if needed, but far enough away that we don't tip off Hoofchew or any other miscreants. Any ideas? I find it hard to make such plans without seeing the area first, which makes this situation tricky. Unfortunately I have little knowledge of magic; I don't know of the spell you are referring to, Meren."
I escaped the Imperium and my parent's plans for me to serve in the Senate to find adventure and friendship...
After listening to Balth's story, Raiyek's suspicion begins to soften. The practicality in him begs him to still be careful, the elf's parents aspired for him to be in the Senate, after all, so he is certainly a citizen of the Imperium. However, Balth's voice is touched with true sorrow when he speaks of Torm and honesty when he asks if he leaves the world a better place. "That is truly another sorrowful tale. Are all adventurer's pasts so painful? It seems to me that most of this group has had at least some terrible sorrow in their past. To each of you that has suffered such a past, I'm deeply sorry," he says, turning to face the bulk of the group, his face showing his sympathy. "As Balth says, perhaps the gods will smile upon us and we will be able to help you each in some way."

Last edited:

ukingsken

First Post
Well we can all help me by filling my pockets with Lauto's gold. And worry not my tiny tin can, I will not get too far ahead. I am not accustomed to taking the brunt of an attack and do not plan on starting anytime soon.

With his caustic remarks hanging in the air, Vashik turns and continues moving. With a slight flick of his finger the sound of deep drums thundering in the distance begins to sound in time with his footfalls, and against all odds he smiles.

Brutoni

First Post
Merenwen turns to the elf ranger, her features seem moved by the pain the group has suffered. Still in nature these things happened, compassion must be shown but in a way that allows the creature to grow. "They were well when we left, though my land is set upon by invasions. Untill now we have had no major conflict, they are kept at bay only by our Kuaaeji'l Ualakyua" She tosses her long and wild her, violet purple eyes looking at the elf. "In this tounge that translates as dragon bonded, though dragon rider may be more appropriate to understand." Kicking the dirt with her feet as she walks the female elf seems suddenly melancholy "I miss my foster parent very much, you said parents which is technically true however one of them is a dragon." Merenwen let that sink in while she addressed the group.

"Perhaps myself and my colegue here can follow a disguised member of the group, thus allowing that member to have some defence while bartering with the local, eh populace, meanwhile the rest of the group could have previously located and... persuaded, someone who can show us the front entrance to his lair." Merenwen paused thinking for a moment. "If the disguised person could convince one of his minions to take him to the fortress for an interview then we could follow. That way we can either use distraction and delay tactics to hold open the front entrance, or possibley gain entrance through a secret way, allowing us to open the front door before the shaman is alerted to our presence?" Merenwen looked round the group, there where some obvious problems with the plan however it was a starting point at the least.

balth

First Post
Well we can all help me by filling my pockets with Lauto's gold. And worry not my tiny tin can, I will not get too far ahead. I am not accustomed to taking the brunt of an attack and do not plan on starting anytime soon.

With his caustic remarks hanging in the air, Vashik turns and continues moving. With a slight flick of his finger the sound of deep drums thundering in the distance begins to sound in time with his footfalls, and against all odds he smiles.

Balth mutters very quietly to the others, I believe that one marches to the beat of his own drum. It may be best to use him as a lure in case they are prepared for our arrival.

He moves off to the side, slowly working his way ahead of Vashik, moving small amounts, blending into a tree here, and a building there.

[sblock=Stealth Roll] Dex roll (1d20+10=30) moving two squares, hiding, moving two squares, hiding, etc. Yay first (noncrit) 20 of the game![/sblock]

[sblock=Signature]
Baltharial Landdowin Brinjairrand, level 1 Ranger. Current Campaign: The Long Arm of Lauto 1: Algarezh Hoofchew[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases