Critical Hit with Sneak Attack / Hunter's Quarry

LostInTheMists

First Post
Does anyone know if Sneak Attack or Hunter's Quarry dice max out on a critical hit? My gut instinct tells me they don't, but their description lists them simply as "extra damage" done by the attack, and the critical hit section only explicitly mentions dice from magic items.

Thanks!

Only weapon damage dice, i.e. [W], are maxed. High crit effects, sneak attack, hunter's quarry, and similar effects are rolled and added on to the max [W] damage.

Nail

First Post
Only weapon damage dice, i.e. [W], are maxed. High crit effects, sneak attack, hunter's quarry, and similar effects are rolled and added on to the max [W] damage.
Nope.

If the hit is a critical (that is, you roll a natural 20 and if your total attack roll is high enough to hit your target’s defense), you "determine the maximum damage you can roll with your attack." That includes sneak attack, hunter's quary, warlock's curse, etc. This is unlike 3.xe, in which those things weren't included.

The only dice you roll for damage on a critical are those from special powers, like a magical weapon or implement.

Again: You most definitely "max" your sneak attack damage.

abyssaldeath

First Post

nope,

Any damage that would would normally roll on a hit get maximized. The only damage that doesn't get maximized is extra dice that are the result of a critical hit. Example: High crit, extra damage from magic weapon/implements or similar effects.

Gruns

Explorer
Yes they are maxxed.

Wrong... Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry(and Warlock's Curse) ARE maxxed on a crit. All damage is EXCEPT for the extra damage that happens only due to the hit being a crit. For example, most magic weapons deal an "extra 1d6 per plus" on a crit. And High Crit weapons deal an extra [1W] on a crit. These two things are not maxxed, because they are specifically tied to the hit being a crit. Make sense?
Later
Gruns

My bad. My group hasn't made the the full transition to 4e yet, most of the games we've been playing have been either 3.5 or Pathfinder. Last time we played 4e was back in August or September. Thanks for the correction.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases