• Drawbacks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Special purpose or goals

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Other (specify in post)

Votes: 10 7.5%

FireLance

Legend
Inspired by the discussion in this thread.

What is the most important factor that makes a magic item interesting for you? One choice only. I don't want people to just tick everything. :)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
For myself I would say useful, I find I have a lot of fun finding a useful item and going, "I can see how my character would want to hold onto this for many levels". Hell one of my favourite items from 3.5 was a simple ring that had clockwork gears for unlocking things and gave a bonus to Open Lock. But this simple yet very useful ability I found quite endearing.

Jack7

First Post
I think I've probably said my part FL, and I chose Mysterious Powers in the poll.

But iffin I had my druthers I see advantages to all your choices.

But I'd add one more thing I think. Good for the Player. That is there is something about it that matches, or corresponds to, or is sympathetic with/towards the nature and personality of the player, and to the character he/she plays.

For instance a lot of magical items had backgrounds and histories that hinted at the characters and natures of their previous owners. I always liked the idea of the Holy Avenger cause it was the Paladin's Right arm, and the Staff of the Magi cause it was an extension of the mind of the Wizard.

But sometimes a magical item just fit a person. Like a glove. Fit their character, their nature, their personality, their manner of operating. View of the world.

I'd prepare magical items just for certain players.
Because they were extensions of the players.

That's something the game (and the designers) can't really prepare ahead of time at the strategic level but the DM can create at the tactical level.

Magical items that are in sympathy, that's about the best term I can put forth, in sympathy with your players. It gives the magical item its own personality, and it further enhances the personality of the character.

Those kinda magical items are just that much more magical.
That's the kinda thing that is magical not by virtue of the fact that it can do this or that, but because it becomes a part of the character. Another aspect of his nature. Part of his soul.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Power. Not useful power, not diverse powers, neither unpredictable power or mysterious power, and not even unique power. What makes a magic item interesting is sheer unadulturated, massive and unstoppable, pure POWER. Nothing more, nothing less, period.;):cool:

(That means I voted "Other".)

In all seriousness, there is no one thing that makes a magic item interesting, but, a magic item with only one thing, IMO, isn't interesting. An item that includes a mixture of the poll selections will usually be interesting. For me, I want a backstory with an useable power or useable set of diverse powers (that at least have a common theme).:)

Runestar

First Post
I went with useful powers as well. Because in the end, it is cold hard stats which determine if my party can overcome the enemy, and I can't really roleplay if I am dead, can I.:cool:

Miyaa

First Post
I like the idea that a magical item had a variety of uses or diverse power. Maybe not exactly like the magical version of a Swiss Army Knife (3rd edition's Rod of Lordly Might), but one where even if it had a single power, it had a variety of uses, like the immovable rod. I guess versatility is what I'm looking for.

If there were a second option, I would go with longevity. The problem with most magical items, particularly with 4th edition is that they have a fairly short lifespan. It's useful for a couple of occasions until it's either taken for granted or more powerful new items supersede it. I would much rather see magical items that grows with the character, maybe even develop a few new abilities because of its persistent use.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I voted "unpredictable/mysterious" but if all items were like that they'd lose their fun factor.

You specifically asked, though, which were the most *interesting*, as opposed to useful or popular; and thus went my vote.

Lanefan

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Went with background/history, because it's hard for a magic item to be "interesting" to me mechanically, though my second choice would be unique powers. No matter how unique, though, it wouldn't be interesting unless those powers were useful. Otherwise it's a really cool 4000 gp paperweight.

If the poll were asking for most "fun" or "funny," I'd pick unpredictable or drawbacks, but I don't see how those could ever make an item interesting. A greater rod of wonder is hilarious, but interesting?

Being powerful or useful clearly wouldn't do it for me. I load up on those all the time -- the "big six" enhancements, heartseeking amulet, etc... they're all very useful and powerful. But I never even stop and think, "Wow, that thing's pretty cool!"

nightwyrm

First Post
I vote background and history.

Adding background to a magic item turns it from a list of bonuses and powers into an unique object with connections to the world. A cloak of resistance +1 can be a generic save boosting slot filler or it can be the cloak worn by the PC's ancestor when he faced off against the Orc Warmaster Grash 100 yrs ago.

Hussar

Legend
Now, I gotta disagree with the background thing. For one thing, any item you pick up as treasure that has a background, isn't going to have a background linked to your character. At least, it would be pretty strange if it did. So, really, does anyone care that the DM's imaginary character killed the DM's imaginary opponent some arbitrarily picked time ago?

One of the biggest things I can think of to make an item interesting is to give it intelligence. Probably the most memorable magic items I've given the players in years was an intelligent dagger who had been lost for a very long time and now suffered memory issues. The other was a modification of Blackrazor that made him intelligent and very hungry.

The player of Blackrazor did such an amazing job of it that he was almost playing two characters at the same time.

For the record, I chose special purpose/goals because that makes an item memorable because it's tied to the campaign. Linking a magic item to the goals in the campaign bring that item to the fore in a manner that is not directly tied to its use. No one remembers that +2 sword. Everyone remembers Wossname the dagger, that guided the party and provided all sorts of setting details until it was lost in a trans dimensional rift along with the hapless goblin that was carrying him.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases