Gnome Illusionist (Help Build)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Good Point. I'm not 100% cause that does sound extremely week if its the buy system.. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'd still like to know which it is. If it is point buy, then no matter how you allocate them, you'll end up with 28 point buy, which isn't high-powered, but is hardly terrible. Also, I just realized that when I said "former" I meant "latter" as I mentioned point buy second. Fortunately you weren't confused. :)

Bardic Knack: Basically, you trade out Bardic Knowledge for this. You have fake ranks in every skill equal to 1/2 your "Bard" level (rounding up, I believe, so it's 1 at level 1, 2 at level 3...). They overlap (do not stack) with real ranks and do not allow you to be considered trained in a skill if you have no actual ranks (and I assume you also could not qualify for skill tricks and feats that require x skill ranks). It can be wonderfully useful, both to get a bonus on those rarely considered skills like climb, swim, forgery... and to do "cheap" things like put in a single rank in knowledges and other trained skills you had no intention of putting many ranks in. You now count as trained and by mid-levels have a fair amount of "ranks" providing a bonus on it.

Considering your int modifier (you'll be better at it than a normal bard), that bardic knack really gets great around where you're stopping the game, and (most importantly) the fact your DM gave Bardic Knowledge to you when you shouldn't normally have it (likely means he intends for you to make hefty use of it), you may actually be best off with keeping Bardic Knowledge even if the DM allows the swap.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Max out INT and DEX at 1st level and DEFINITELY take Improved Initiative as a Feat. Take advantage of Racial bonusses by taking plenty of Skills such as Alchemy, Craft: Gemcutting and the like. The Badger makes a great Familiar for a 1st lvl Gnome Illusionist. Also, Constitution is probably the next most important Ability score due to d4 hp.

Ditto on Alchemy!

They may not seem like much, but alchemical grenade like weapons in the hands of a high-dex PC can be devastating at low levels. A firebomb here, a tanglefoot bag there, and all of a sudden, your warriors are facing foes with sorely limited tactical options.

And if you have to run, a firebomb or TfBag can be just as effective- if not moreso- than caltrops in discouraging pursuit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases