Hexblade: The Path of Splinters

Wik

First Post
Cool stuff. I like it. Personally, I'd add Thievery to the class list (the Warlock has it, too), because I think it'd be an interesting variation on the defender. And I like the idea of having an ability that weakens saves, but doesn't use that power personally. Sort of gives the class a leader-like ability.

I'd give the class a bit more of a sub-type, and stick to that in your design. It's a defender, first and foremost, but it should dabble in another role. Striker is an obvious one, but I think there are too many strikers out there right now. Leader could be interesting, and that save power encourages it, but it doesn't seem right for a hexblade. Now, Controller would seem perfect - this is a great class for general de-buffs. I'd almost tack on a debuff effect on most of their attacks.

Also, I'm getting tired of seeing defenders that have a "mark and hit" effect. Instead, I think it'd be kind of cool (and fitting with the controller idea I just mentioned) to instead give the class a power like:

"Aura 2. MArked creatures treat all squares in the aura are treated as difficult terrain."

In essence, I hit you, and you are stuck fighting me. You can't shift, and if you move away (which is going to be hard), I get to swing at you. I think it's just a minor change that would give the class a bit more flavour than the swordmage-like Evil Eye.

Wraith Form

Explorer
Instead, I think it'd be kind of cool (and fitting with the controller idea I just mentioned) to instead give the class a power like:

"Aura 2. MArked creatures treat all squares in the aura are treated as difficult terrain."

In essence, I hit you, and you are stuck fighting me. You can't shift, and if you move away (which is going to be hard), I get to swing at you. I think it's just a minor change that would give the class a bit more flavour than the swordmage-like Evil Eye.

I'm going to agree with this sentiment. Otherwise, I really like this build. And thanks for PDF-ing it.

WalterKovacs

First Post
One thing about the illusiary double "rules", it should perhaps include something along the line that the double counts as the hexblade for the purposes of the mark. It kind of fits the hexblade as a defender to throw out a decoy, and giving the decoy the benefit of a mark seems to go against that. Also, the ongoing damage from the encounter power is a bit rare, the only other example (from the PHB anyway) is a wizard power that risks hitting allies.

Also, doubled assault seems a bit big for a level 1 encounter power. It likely could have both attacks at 1[W] and still be solid.

A couple minor things are formatting issues (the penalty of 2 to saving throws seem odd without it being -2, in addition to things likes save ends being bracketed).

Just a few suggestions.

Rechan

Adventurer
You know, I never looked at this until now. I think this is a fairly solid class, although I honestly have felt that the Hexblade is far more about causing curses/bad luck/the melee equivalent of a warlock, so this feels fairly weird being called a "Hexblade".

I do however see it as a solid class, mechanics wise.

Sidenote: I came here because I had the idea of a Hexblade Defender with a mark that's the reverse of the Oath of Imnity. 'Mark your target. If your target does not attack you, then as an immediate interrupt, you cause the attack be rolled twice, and the lowest score must be selected."

Cadfan

First Post
Thanks for the comment!

My goal, in part, was to create a fighter/spellcaster hybrid that was more about fighting than spellcasting, and who used the spells to augment how they fought rather than to do the actual combat. It was really important to me to keep this class from attacking with its charisma or intelligence. That's why everything is strength based, with charisma controlling the extra effects.

There are a few mechanical missteps in what I've designed (there almost always are), and some of it is "old tech" in the sense that this was written before summoning rules and a lot of more recent powers, but I'm a big fan of it, especially in terms of theme.
Sidenote: I came here because I had the idea of a Hexblade Defender with a mark that's the reverse of the Oath of Imnity. 'Mark your target. If your target does not attack you, then as an immediate interrupt, you cause the attack be rolled twice, and the lowest score must be selected."
That's interesting. The "mark" feature already penalizes attacks, though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases