Wrath of the River King - Wolfgang Baur's Open Design

RichGreen

Adventurer
Kind of sounds like the ransom model used by Reign's creator but the contributors are much more involved in the process.

So let me get this right. Basically, after he reaches a certain threshhold of donations that he setup, he will start to work on the project. The contributors will have varying amount of access to the creation process depending on how much money they contributed to the project. The project is finished when the majority are satisfied with the final product.

It is an interesting model and with the economy right now as well as the state of the rpg industry, it could potentially be a better business model for some writers.

If I didn't take a break from D&D, it would have piqued my interest to participate just for the experience.

That's almost right. Wolfgang is the one who decides when the project is finished - since all of the OD projects have ended up being much longer than they were supposed to be no one's complained so far :)

Cheers

Richard

Glyfair

Explorer
So I was correct: $30 buys you the privilege to see the end product.
And the ability to see the design process and other insider bits. Each project also tends to have a series of articles about designing adventures that are similar to Dungeoncraft but a bit more "creating a commercial adventure" oriented (not enough that they aren't useful to those of us who have no intention of doing it).

In fact, the ones from Steam & Brass were edited by WotC and presented on their website (a search can find them, probably by searching for Wolfgang's name on the WotC site).

II do find the concept a bit limiting, as I would have like to have acquired a copy of Steam and Brass and I didn't hear of Wolfgang's project until it was too late.
One of these days I am going to have a gameday (or game weekend) and will try to run Steam & Brass as part of that Gameday.

Dire Bare

Legend
That, in my opinion, is a highway robbery bordering on a scam.

This. Creating artificial scarcity of a completely electronic finished product is a braindead marketing strategy.

Sorry, but there's no way I am buying into this "I will start working into a cool adventure, but only if you pay before seeing it or even reading a review" scheme.
Ya know, if the patronage idea doesn't work for you, that's fine.

But there is no need to be insulting, it just shows ignorance. Baur has plenty of fans who really dig the patronage idea and buy in with full knowledge of how the system works, and they are very happy with the result. Calling this a scam insults not only Baur, but all of his patrons on the various projects.

To be a scam, deception must be involved. There is no deception here at all, just a purchase model you personally don't care for.

Lighten up . . . and don't buy into the next Open Design project. Simple solution.

well

I haven't participated in one of these yet, but like the patron model and probably will in the future. It seems like taking part in the design process would probably make me a better homebrew adventure designer. Think of it as an adventure writing seminar.

That said, I do wish there was a way for me to buy the old projects. Since the idea of the system is that the Patrons own the finished product, why not sell them and pay the original patrons royalties?

Ken

countgray

First Post
This. Creating artificial scarcity of a completely electronic finished product is a braindead marketing strategy.

Sorry, but there's no way I am buying into this "I will start working into a cool adventure, but only if you pay before seeing it or even reading a review" scheme.
Fame coacta uulpes alta in uinea
uuam adpetebat, summis saliens uiribus.
Quam tangere ut non potuit, discedens ait:
"Nondum matura es; nolo acerbam sumere."
Qui, facere quae non possunt, uerbis eleuant,
adscribere hoc debebunt exemplum sibi.

Glyfair

Explorer
Since the idea of the system is that the Patrons own the finished product, why not sell them and pay the original patrons royalties?
That's not quite accurate. Wolfgang (and Nic on his) still own the copyrights not the patrons. However, they have agreed to certain conditions on where they will use the copyrighted material.

On example is that Wolfgang has reprinted some bits about his Zobeck world from Steam & Brass in Kobold Quarterly articles. That's legit (IIRC it was an expansion of some steampunkish magic), but reprinting whole sections of the adventure would be a different matter.

Kind of kills the point of a review, I guess.

I must not have been reading every forum close enough and missed the announcement.

Not really. If the project is available to someone as part of the current patronage deal, the review would be really helpful. (I also note that multiple Open Design projects have been ENnie-nominated. The judges must have though they were pretty good. They are unlikely to ever win due to the fewer numbers of patrons.)

Remove ads