Organic Chemistry Textbook Advice

LightPhoenix

First Post
I'm looking for a general organic chemistry textbook for reference, since I never bought the one I used in my undergrad career. During undergrad we used the Carey, which I found informative but a little dry. I've heard good things about the Clayden from a friend, and I'll be taking a look at that next week. I was hoping that the chemists of ENW might offer their suggestions and comments. I have a number of advanced books on various divisions of orgo; I'm really only looking for the general texts.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
The one I used for Organic: Vollhardt and Schore was actually good, it was definitely better as a reference than the one they used the next year. But then being a grad student taking the class as a deficiency I was in the minority opinion when it came to that book.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I honestly don't remember the one that I used, and I didn't keep it around. I kept my biochem books, but not the straight up organic book.

LightPhoenix

First Post
The one I used for Organic: Vollhardt and Schore was actually good, it was definitely better as a reference than the one they used the next year. But then being a grad student taking the class as a deficiency I was in the minority opinion when it came to that book.

I'll have to check out the Vollhardt. Thanks!

I'm looking for something that's informative but not boring as hell (ie, Carey). It's been some time since I've taken general organic, and I want to brush up on it. If I'm going to sit and read something on my own time, I'd prefer it to be a little engaging. However, I'm also looking for a decent reference as well.

I honestly don't remember the one that I used, and I didn't keep it around. I kept my biochem books, but not the straight up organic book.

I generally keep all my books, but I had just gotten to school and money was tight. It didn't help that the book was like $150 dollars, and a new teacher for orgo meant a new book for the class... no used books around. :( So I never picked it up, and just read it out of the library.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases