Halls of the Giant Kings (Dungeon Tiles DU1): Worth buying? A good "starter" set?

withak

First Post
I've generally liked the Dungeon Tiles WotC has released in the past. I ran a short-lived campaign at a co-worker's place, and he had a big box of the things, 4 or 5 sets all told, IIRC. This included DT1, the first, "basic" set with all of the generic corridors, rooms, and whatnot a DM would want for every generic dungeon. However, I don't own any myself, and will be starting a new campaign here in a few weeks.

It seems WotC didn't print enough of that first set; it's out of print, and every listing I've found on Ebay is $30+, which is a lot more than I'm willing to pay for an item with a $10 MSRP.

DU1 is also seemingly out of print, but the going rate for this set on Ebay is a lot more forgiving. My question is: is this as good a "starter" set as DT1? Are the "themed" tiles just as usable as the rest of them in the set? If it's not a good starter, which of the more generally-available older sets makes the best starter set?

(I was unable to find a review for this set in the Reviews section... if I end up getting it, maybe I'll add one...)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
In general, DU1 isn't a good starter set, no.

Don't despair, BTW ... I'd be willing to bet that WotC will put the first set, and possibly the first couple, back into production at some point. (If they do so, I hope they fix the doors, as they did in later sets.)

Finally, there's a Yahoo! Group that maintains a Dungeon Tiles Mapper program, and is a good source of new set-ups and downloads into the program for the new sets. It looks intimidating, which is a shame, because it's actually very simple to use.

Anyway, HERE is a link to the group. You do need to sign up for membership. Traffic is very light -- I wish it were heavier, actually -- so it won't overwhelm your inbox.

AnthonyRoberson

First Post
If you are looking for a pretty generic set, make sure to check out DT6: Dire Tombs. Other than the tiles having a yellow/brownish cast that most other sets don't, the tiles are pretty useful and I like the angled corridors.

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
DT1 and DT2 have problems of their own, their colors don't match the ones of the later sets. I don't expect WotC to rerelease them rather than publishing new 'base' sets (which may contain tiles similar to those of DT1 and 2 with a better matching color scheme and fixed doors).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases