My latest Dungeon Tiles storage solution

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore buzz

My latest Dungeon Tiles storage solution

I've recently been cleaning up (and cleaning out) my collection of gaming paraphernalia, trying to get things organized. One of my goals was to find a storage solution for my Dungeon Tiles that would keep them both handy and portable. I was poking around OfficeMax today for ideas, and I spotted these:

InFile Hanging Storage Case (link removed; looks like this product is no more)

I remembered that I had a portable filing box sitting mostly unused, and figured that there was a solution here. So... I bought a bunch of cases.

I punched all the tiles (yes, they were sitting unpunched on my shelf) and started sorting them by size into separate cases. Trial and error showed that you can stack tiles about 7-8 tall and still have the cases close securely. The hinges on the cases are not that strong; they popped out of the sides on one case while I was packing it. I think a little superglue would remedy this, though.

Then, I placed them in the file box. This is an OfficeMax brand file tote; it can fit eight of the hanging cases with a little room left over. I was able to fit all of the tile sets released to date in this one tote, with some space left to add a set or two more. File totes like these come in all kinds of sizes, so one could fit more or less, depending.

Voila! Packed up and ready to go.

The total cost of this solution is probably around $55. The hanging cases were $5 apiece, and the tote about $14 or so. I just lumped tiles together by size, but you could probably sort them thematically, too. And, of course, you could use these for any company's tiles/counters/maps/whatever.

Anyway, just thought I would share. This seemed about the best solution I could find. Not to mention, it cleared space on my shelves for more D&D books.

(I'm not sure if any other companies make these hanging cases. If someone knows of similar products, please speak up.)
    Last edited by buzz; Thursday, 5th March, 2009 at 02:26 AM.
    ENWorld Chicago Gameday: Getting people together to game since 2001.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    Thats cool!
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Asmor
    Beats my solution.

I've got a gallon ziploc baggie for cavern pieces, a gallon ziploc baggie for city/sewer pieces, and several baggies and boxes for regular dungeon tiles sorted mostly by size, though I do for example have a baggie that's just doors...

I thought Office Max went out of business?
    -Author of the Encounter-a-Day blog

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore Thanee
    Nice. I just have them scattered into four small boxes, seperated by size, roughly. Takes forever to find something.

Bye
    Thanee

In our world, immortality is not for the living. The legend lives on!
    In Memoriam Dave Arneson ( April 7th, 2009) & Gary Gygax ( March 4th, 2008).

Wondering what the Dungeon Tiles are like? Take a look here.

Those look great, I think I'm going to need a slightly bigger tote for mine though.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmor View Post
    I believe they only filed bankruptcy. I know Kay Bee Toys and Mervyns went, or are going, out of business.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmor View Post
    OfficeMax has neither gone out of business nor filed bankruptcy. I know because I work for them.

You're maybe thinking of Office Depot, which recently closed about 120 stores and laid off over 2,000 employees.
    ENWorld Chicago Gameday: Getting people together to game since 2001.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Ignore Ktulu
    Pretty cool. I've got mine in plastic baggies separated by theme (indoor, cave, streets, etc..), anything larger than 3x3 gets separated by size.
    SAVE HOBART!

Lama (Lvl 13)

Blog Entries

Ignore JoeGKushner
    Thanks for sharing.

When I point out some of the things I don't like about the D&D mins/counters, it's because people are well, forced to come up with solutions like this. It's like a fire and forget strategy for WoTC instead of supplying the solutions to problems that long term buying of their own products would create!

Anyway, that's pretty neat.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Ignore thalmin
    Looks good. How many tile sets do you have?
    Curt

Games Plus
    Mt. Prospect, IL

Support your FLGS

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast