New Open Design: Halls of the Mountain King

Rechan

Adventurer
Really, though, if you are already certain you will be disappointed, I think taking the refund would be the smart choice.
IMHO it's the point that you have to pay $50+ just to be part of a conversion project. Regardless of the quality of the adventure, you're paying more money to do less in the patron project.

Monkey King

Explorer
I'm conflicted on this point. Wolfgang, if there is a conversion, does that mean we get a 4E product, basically?

I assume it means we don't get the bonus 4E item, correct?

Yes, you do basically get a 4E adventure. Perhaps a month or two later than otherwise.

I've been avoiding the discussion of the 4E Gazetteer, mostly because there's no way for me to know right now how many 4E patrons will take a full or partial refund, and how many will continue with the project.

Ask me about the Gazetteer again after the greenlight/launch. Maybe there will be enough funds to do the 4E Gazetteer book.

Monkey King

Explorer
IMHO it's the point that you have to pay $50+ just to be part of a conversion project. Regardless of the quality of the adventure, you're paying more money to do less in the patron project.

I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying here. Do less of what, exactly, than an equivalent 3E patron?

Heck, since there are fewer 4E patrons than OGL/3E patrons, I suppose you could argue that there's *more* options, since fewer people will be interested overall. Kind of a stretch, maybe.

Rechan

Adventurer
I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying here. Do less of what, exactly, than an equivalent 3E patron?
A 3e patron is making the module for their edition.

A 4e patron has to convert the module, which is extra work.

But only a small number of those patrons are getting to actually do the conversion, because they paid more to have the "privilege" to do it. It's like paying full price for someone else's left-overs to reheat yourself.

Heck, since there are fewer 4E patrons than OGL/3E patrons, I suppose you could argue that there's *more* options, since fewer people will be interested overall.
But you still have to be a senior/expert just to do it. Being a 4e patron on a 3e project is all ready a disadvantage, because you're doing twice, if not three times the work to go after every thing to try and make it work for a different system, but you have to pay just as much as a 3e senior/expert to get the privilege to do the conversion in the first place.

Qwillion

First Post
I am an OGL supporter (I went the whole $150).

I think a conversion enhances the project and I applaud The Monkey King for wading into a legal gray area of any conversion, if it went 4e but there would be a 3.X conversion I would still remain a member.

Heck I am doing an unofficial conversion to Arcana Evolved for my homebrew game regardless!

I do think that the support for both 4e and OGL shows that Open Design to do a second project. Perhaps the Monkey King might pick a freelancer to work on this second project as stand alone 4E project (perhaps with a 3.5 conversion). I am sure a contributer to Wrath of the River King might have stood out, and could be trusted even to manage the project.

Anyway I just wanted to say thank you to The Monkey King for taking the risk of a conversion (the legal gray area that it is).

ronin

Explorer
I signed up for the OGL tonight and am looking forward to the process. I am not sure my payment went thru however since I didn't get an email letting me know my paypal account was charged. I tried to post something over on the boards at the Open Design site but didn't have any luck doing that either.

I am not having much luck this evening it seems.

catsclaw227

First Post
According to the latest update from Wolfgang, 4e needs just over 20 patrons to reach the commission (vs 12 for 3e).
Do you mean that it is about $500 to reach the commission for 4e and $300 for the OGL?

I thought it was about how much money came in, not the number of supporters?

Wolfgang -- if you are still watching. How much money would it take to reach the 4e commission and how much money is required to reach an OGL commission?

Remove ads