New Open Design: Halls of the Mountain King

catsclaw227

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
OK, so is the edition decision based upon the dollar amount of patronage or the number of patrons; i.e. if 20 people put up $1500 and 40 people put up $1475 then the 20 people win?

I might be dense and missing the point, but in your example cited the majority would win by a landslide of $59,000 to a paltry $30,000.
I should have been clearer. I meant that 20 put up a TOTAL of $1500 and 40 people put up a TOTAL of $1475, then the 20 people would win out.

Filcher

First Post
OK, but let's say for example that the commission amount is $5000, but a difference of maybe $100 exists between two different editions of patronage (a 2% adjustment) but there are 30% more patrons for the smaller amount. Would it be in your long-term best interest to collect the extra 2% or appeal to the extra 30%?

I agree that is WB were running a straight business, appealing to the 30% (and keeping them as customers) makes sense. But he's set up the rules a different way, and needs to abide by them (for this cycle at least).

I'm sure if your example turns up, he'd adapt for the next patronage cycle.

Filcher

First Post
Also, I'm ignorant of the specifics of his patronage model. Did he declare the right to make the final decision? Or is it implied that he will abide by the dollar of the commission?

catsclaw227

First Post
I have a lot of respect and support for Wolfgang, having participated in patronage since the second project, and at one time "buying" $60 patronages for two friends in addition to myself, so I understand the process and I know that WB needs to eat. :)

I guess I would like to see the commission process run its full course (i.e. until a set date, even if the commission is already met), then either refund or give people the option of staying in.

Filcher

First Post
I have a lot of respect and support for Wolfgang, having participated in patronage since the second project, and at one time "buying" $60 patronages for two friends in addition to myself, so I understand the process and I know that WB needs to eat. :)

I guess I would like to see the commission process run its full course (i.e. until a set date, even if the commission is already met), then either refund or give people the option of staying in.

Makes sense to me. I could see a huge bidding war taking place. More power to the Wolf. Keep that man fat and happy!

Pseudopsyche

First Post
Honestly, I'm very surprised by the depth of the support for 3E. Maybe some of it is support for the Zobeck setting, which has been built up over time.

I agree that 4E needs more adventures, and in different styles than the WotC standard. Which leaves me puzzled as to why the 4E commission support isn't quite keeping up with the 3E support.
You do yourself a disservice. You're offering an opportunity directly to influence the design of a professionally crafted adventure. This opportunity is novel and has value for both the 3E and 4E markets.

Also, to be frank, your patronage system doesn't serve "3E" or "4E", and it doesn't care which needs more adventures. It cares about individuals--patrons--who can afford to support you. Even if the project goes 4E, it won't be available to most of the 4E community anyway. You've offered your services to the first people who can pay you, not to the people who you think need your services more.

Anyway, to speculate: Perhaps 4E DMs are optimistic about the breadth of adventures available via D&D Insider. Perhaps they are younger and have less disposable income. Perhaps they are less organized (only having been around as a community for less than a year) and have a poorer "get out the vote" mechanism. (I suspect many people are interpreting this project as a political election, for better or for worse.) Finally, perhaps they simply aren't as familiar with you or your online presence.

Glyfair

Explorer
Case in point: While Wolf's been talking in the 7-10 range, the actual levels will probably come down to a vote of patrons (even if that vote is initially "Do you hate the idea of 7th-10th?", with more options discussed later if the answer proves to be "yes".)
Indeed. However, the levels are pretty much always in the 8-12 level range.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases