New Open Design: Halls of the Mountain King

RichGreen

Adventurer
It's not just an adventure, it's open design! (If you pay, you are part of the process to make the adventure. Lots of things to learn from that.) It's probably going to be level 7-10ish.

And while WotRK is kinda expensive, I have to admit that after reading it, it's totally worth every penny. But of course, YMMV :)

Wrath of the River King is excellent, and I'm really hoping that we'll get another great 4e adventure in Halls of the Mountain King. Having taken part in the last five Open Design projects, I can heartily recommend the patron model. For those of you who like 4e and want more good quality adventures, I'd urge you to sign up ASAP! It's $25 for the basic level. A lot of really interesting, stimulating discussion and brainstorming has already taken place and we've had three or four polls so far too.

Cheers

Richard

JoeGKushner

First Post
Yep we can only hope, but I get the feeling it'll go 3E :(

At worst, it'll give me a chance to pick up the last 4e adventure as a patron of the new one. :)

If people don't financially show their support for their prefered editon, I don't see how there can be complaints.

Now mind you, I don't think it's impossible that Open Design could work on two seperate projects at once (not the same adventure) as Wolfgang isn't the only one writing the materal and KQ is still ongoing but he's chosen to tackle the project this way so we'll see what happens.

At worst, it'll give me a chance to pick up the last 4e adventure as a patron of the new one. :)

If people don't financially show their support for their prefered editon, I don't see how there can be complaints.

Now mind you, I don't think it's impossible that Open Design could work on two seperate projects at once (not the same adventure) as Wolfgang isn't the only one writing the materal and KQ is still ongoing but he's chosen to tackle the project this way so we'll see what happens.
I already have (as a patron) of River King, it is great about twice as good as an average WotC 4E module (I should know I run 'em...oh look once again the baddies have very incriminating letters from the next baddy in the chain).
And there certainly won't be any complaints from me if it goes 3E, I'll just be sad that I have missed out.
Doesn't the OGL/GSL stop you from making the same product for both editions?

Monkey King

Explorer
Indeed. However, the levels are pretty much always in the 8-12 level range.

Except for Wrath of the River King, which was levels 4-6.

And the anthologies Six Arabian Nights + Tales of Zobeck, which both had lower-level adventures.

But yeah, 8-12 is the default assumption. I'd be happy to move outside that range.

EDIT: Also, there's a been a definite run from the 4E crowd today. At one point, something like 8 patrons in a row declared for 4E, so I'm not calling this commission decided just yet.

Last edited:

Gothmog

First Post
I just put down my money on 4e too- from the look of the discussions so far on Wolfgang's site, this adventure would be an absolute perfect fit for 4e. I'm really excited about participating this time! :)

Jack99

Adventurer
Wrath of the River King is excellent, and I'm really hoping that we'll get another great 4e adventure in Halls of the Mountain King. Having taken part in the last five Open Design projects, I can heartily recommend the patron model. For those of you who like 4e and want more good quality adventures, I'd urge you to sign up ASAP! It's $25 for the basic level. A lot of really interesting, stimulating discussion and brainstorming has already taken place and we've had three or four polls so far too.

Cheers

Richard

After re-reading it, I am going to say that the word excellent doesn't do it justice. 4wesome is more like it. ;)

Erekose13

Explorer
Dropped my money in the 4e pot. Here's hoping we can pull back ahead. I've been a patron since the second project and let me echo the others, Open Design is an experience and an adventure put together its well worth the money. Now to weigh the option of getting Wrath in print or upping my patronage for Halls, hmm...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases