Vancian magic system to EQd20 style mana-based magic.

Evil_Dead_Jedi

First Post
Does (or has) anyone use the EverQuest d20 style mana point-based magic system in place of Vancian style in their campaigns? If so, I was trying to find out opinions on adapting spells from D&D (pre 4e) to the EQ magic system.

For example, most spell levels can be converted fairly easy, so can effects, damage, etc. But the big thing is, how much mana cost would be a good conversion? Like Delayed Blast Fireball, or Magic Missle, etc.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Haven't seen EQd20, but - just in case you haven't already seen this stuff - here is the link to d20srd.org's variant magic systems (straight from Unearthed Arcana, courtesy of the OGL):

Variant Magic Index :: d20srd.org

One of them is the Spell Points system (Mana, IWO), that being why I posted the link. Anyway, might be useful, even if you never actually use it as is.

Runestar

First Post
IIRC, for everquest, you selected a list of spells to ready, which you can cast as often as you like using your available mana.

I guess the closest would be the erudite. Dnd spells just don't mesh well with a spell point variant (since damage spells get doubly screwed, which in turn skews balance in favour of battle-field control and save-or-die, which are every bit as efficacious even when you don't augment them).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases