Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Meh.

Votes: 65 33.2%
  • Lemony Snickett

Votes: 22 11.2%

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Honestly, I don't get it. It's over six months and yet still the forums have constant edition war topics and thread-crappers. On both sides.

Where do y'all get the energy? Too many Snickers?

Anyway, I figured I'd see what the majority think about edition war threads and people who insist on bringing it up in every conversation.

La Bete

First Post
I enjoyed them initially, in fact I recall basking in the bile that was spewed.

Pretty bored with them now. I don't think that it's becuase most of the bile has been drained (it has), but that it's pretty much the same people saying the same thing.

Edit - And it's Lemon Curry [Mr T] Fool! [/Mr T]

Last edited:

Phaezen

First Post
There does tend to be a lot of unneaded posts in the socalled edition war threads, and the edition wars do spill into nonedition war threads which can ruin a decent thread.

That said, in amongst all the bile and heated air there are posts which do raise valid concerns or issues and which make me think more about the edition being talked about and help me improve my experience of the edition.

Phaezen

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I voted "meh." I liked them at first - you got to see lots of different viewpoints about what D&D should or shouldn´t be (admittedly buried in snark). That changed, though. "Incidentially, they changed x to y, so z them" in 90% of the threads, regardless of topic, gets old fast.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I really could care less. At the beginning it was interesting reading what people thought of 4E on both sides, but now that I know what I think. I couldn't really care less what the boards think.

Mallus

Legend
In an attempt to find the silver lining in the raincloud currently parked over ENWorld, let me say there's one valuable thing about the Edition Wars: They illustrate how many different ways people play D&D and that gamers can share a set of rules without sharing basic assumptions or play goals.

Editions wars thread are particularly good at this because of the way they tend to bare our default assumptions, the ones we usually assume can go unstated because everyone shares them.

Belphanior

First Post
There's really been an overdose of them here, but in general principle I like "edition wars" for two reasons:

1. It lets me see what's wrong with an edition. Maybe 2e/3e/4e really does have some flaws. Better to know now than to find out later. Let's ask some people what to look out for.

2. Correcting others. There's a lot of misconceptions and faulty assumptions out there. Nobody has to like the same editions I do, but I feel better if they at least make their informed decision based on correct facts. The PCs did not become immortal in 3e or 4e, thank you very much. And 2e wasn't an unplayable mess. We already had prestige classes and templates before 3e. The "rod of seven parts" is not a set item stolen from Diablo, dumbass.

I don't like the flaming and hysterics that so often go on though.

roguerouge

First Post
I think a definition of "edition wars" threads are needed, as that's often in the eyes of the beholder. I find that threads about the differences between the editions help me to clarify what my values as a gamer are. They're not as good as brainstorming or campaign threads, though.

Remove ads