[WFRP] Down and Out in Altdorf [OOC]

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
How important is it to know the system in your game? Since the character generator does the sheet I presume there is not need to know the system during character creation. It all pretty much comes down to this: Do you want the players to roll their action or do you do it yourself? If it's the latter, then I'd see no need to know the system and I'd love to be in :D.

It's not all that complex a system, so you shouldn't have many problems not knowing the system. It's a standard d% game; roll under your stat to succeed at something. When attempting a Basic skill you aren't trained in, roll d% under 1/2 the relevant stat to succeed (i.e.: Norgram is not trained in Charm, so he must roll under an 11 (1/2 Fellowship) to succeed).

Combat is reasonably simple as well. You have 2 half actions or 1 full action each 10-second round, and unlimited free actions within reason. Roll under your Weapon Skill to hit in melee, or roll under your Ballistics Skill to hit at range. An attack is a 1/2 action, and you may do so only once per round. Moving is also a 1/2 action, and you may move your Movement in squares. To parry, you must take a 1/2 action to get into a parrying stance; thereafter you can parry 1 attack with a successful Weapon Skill test. Since you have the Dodge Blows skill, you can dodge with a successful Agility test without taking a half action to prepare it--quite a useful ability!--but you cannot dodge and parry in the same round. There are a number of other maneuvers, but these few basic things will let you get by.

Fate Points are a lot like lives in a video game. Spend one to have some form of deus ex machina save you from certain death/dismemberment. The loss of a Fate Point is permanent. You also have Fortune Points equal to your Fate Points score, which replenish every day. Use these to re-roll any one failed test.

I think that covers 90% of cases. You'll probably want to pick up the rulebook eventually, since there are a number of neat things you can do in combat, and I don't want to put them all on the internet out of respect for Fantasy Flight Games.

I actually rolled twice because it gave me a "Scribe" at first try and I didn't feel the right vibes for a Dwarven Scribe. The second try gave me a generic Dwarven Soldier, which made me feel much better.

You get away with it...this time. :devil: The core rules let you roll twice for your career and pick your favorite, so that's actually fine.

Oh, what does the "Current Career Exits" mean and are we supposed to pick one now or later?

That describes the easy avenues for advancement once you've complete your current career. To complete your first career, you need to increase all your attributes as noted in the advance scheme of the career. The soldier can advance WS 10, BS 10, Ag 10, Wp 5, A 1 (yay for you!), W 2. You can spend 100 experience to increase one of your Primary attributes (WS, BS, Ag, Wp) by 5%, and one of your Secondary attributes (A, W) by 1. You can only increase attributes on your advance scheme, and only up to the level listed. You get a free advance at the start of the game, so go ahead and pick something from your advance scheme. Once you've finished out your career, you can choose a new one. Choosing one of your career exits costs 100 exp, or you can choose any other basic career for 200 exp.

Is their still a spot in this game?

I uploaded my rolled up character below. I will add background, if there is still room in this game.

I didn't know if 'mercy' was allowed to bring stats to average. If it was, I would want to use it.

Awesome! It'll be fun having a native German speaker for that extra Reikspeil authenticity. :) You're definitely welcome to use Shallya's Mercy on any one attribute.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Trappings: Cloths (Good), Clothing (Common), Dagger, Hand Weapon (Mace), Leather Skullcap, Riding Horse with Saddle and Harness, Sling bag (With blanket, wooden tankard, wooden cutlery) Tattered Cloak.

You've also got a purse with 2d10 gold crowns. Don't spend 'em all in one place, now!

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Yup. Make sure you keep a note of what your starting score is, though. That'll be important if Norgrim lives long enough to get a second career. :devil:

It occurred to me too :D. I updated the sheet in the original post, with a way to keep track of those. I also picked those two weapons I had since it only said Firearm and Hand Weapon. Now they are Pistol and Hammer.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
A friend of mine promised to borrow me his WFRP books. Core book & Old World Armory. I should have them on friday.

Those descriptions you gave on the system has made me very interested on it. I might actually have to buy my own copies of the books now :D.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
A friend of mine promised to borrow me his WFRP books. Core book & Old World Armory. I should have them on friday.

Those descriptions you gave on the system has made me very interested on it. I might actually have to buy my own copies of the books now :D.

Great news! The rules aren't all that bulky--I use a one-page cheat sheet plus crit tables--but they do take some explaining.

Also, since I neglected to make an Official Invitation for everyone, you're all four welcome to post in the in-character thread whenever you're ready. Earlier today I cleverly edited the first post in order to present this information to you in a place you'd be unlikely to read.:eek:

The Digger

First Post
Hi Hella-
I noticed you said the following a-propos Dodge & Parry -
To parry, you must take a 1/2 action to get into a parrying stance; thereafter you can parry 1 attack with a successful Weapon Skill test. Since you have the Dodge Blows skill, you can dodge with a successful Agility test without taking a half action to prepare it--quite a useful ability!--but you cannot dodge and parry in the same round.

If I may comment for the uninitiated?

You do not have to enter Parrying Stance if you have a weapon in your offhand i.e. a shield or dagger etc.

Also, you can Parry and Dodge in the same round just not the same attack. So if 2 people attack you, you could dodge one and parry the other.

So Norgrim is the only one who can dodge and, as he has a shield, he can parry without penalty.

No one else can dodge.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Hi Hella-
I noticed you said the following a-propos Dodge & Parry -

If I may comment for the uninitiated?

Always. Sometimes I might give you bonus experience if you catch me in something truly, deeply erroneous!

You do not have to enter Parrying Stance if you have a weapon in your offhand i.e. a shield or dagger etc.

Also, you can Parry and Dodge in the same round just not the same attack. So if 2 people attack you, you could dodge one and parry the other.

So Norgrim is the only one who can dodge and, as he has a shield, he can parry without penalty.

No one else can dodge.

Right you are--I gave it too brief a treatment, and erred in the summary. I had a paragraph written on parrying and dodging, but deleted it, deciding that I was posting too much copyrighted material; I should have adjusted my abridged explanation.

I hear that rules can't be copyrighted, and hence OSRIC is legal. Not knowing the law myself, though, I wanted to err on the side of making the mods' lives easier. :)

Remove ads