[IC2] Pool of Radiance

renau1g

First Post
"Does anyone need provisions? If so, go grab them and meet back here, we can leave within the hour" Storm says to the group.

Voadam

Legend
"I do not feel comfortable taking a boat upriver, we'll tire ourselves fighting the current and lose any element of stealth that we may have. I can lead this expedition, I have spent much time outdoors and have every confidence in avoiding the dangers of the natural world" Storm offers.

Kordunn seems to brighten at the prospect of walking instead of taking a boat. His expression turns from grim determination at tackling an unpleasant task to a bit more relaxed. "Even better then." He will purchase trail provisions and gear and meet back up with the group.

Leif

Adventurer
Emagor Rilliance -- Fighter|Wizard and Peabody

"Well, clever, perhaps, but you raise an excellent poit, Storm. I shall also go and fetch some supples straightaway." ;)

Emagor will go and retrieve four weeks rations, three waterskins, two hundred feet of rope, a tinderbox, a lantern and 5 pints of oil, a dozen torches, and a donkey and pack saddle and a set of saddle bags to haul all of this stuff. Oh, and he'll need 4 weeks grain to feed the donkey, too.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
OOC: Again, sorry for the nonactivity. Unemployment has been kicking my arse. The 10-hour temp database job turned into a bit more than 20 hours and then, starting tomorrow, turns into an actual temp to hire position. So, for at least a month, I'm not unemployed, I've got good hours, and sufficient pay. Huzzah! I'm going to get caught on various ENWorld stuff over the next couple or three days.

Scotley

Hero
OOC: Great news Mark. I too am a victim of career success. Work has been well, work lately. I'm playing catch up as well.

Eldwyn will do a little shopping as well, getting 2 weeks rations and equal food for rover along with a dozen skiprocks. He will make inquiries for getting enchanted versions of his armor (chainshirt and wooden shield +1 each?).

Thanee

First Post
Since it is too late to move out at the current day, the adventurers spent the remaining time to prepare for their journey to the surroundings of Phlan, especially the region northwards along the Stojanow River, which might take them as far north as the Dragonspine Mountains, in order to find the source of the river poisoning.

Are the rumors true? Is there really a wizard living upriver, who is responsible for this? Or is there an ancient black dragon corpse lying in the water somewhere near the mountains? The rumors about the source of the poisoning are as numerous as the townsfolk they have talked to.

And there is only one way to find out for sure...

Thanee

First Post
[smallcaps]Barren River[/smallcaps]

[smallcaps]Seventh Chapter of the Pool of Radiance campaign[/smallcaps]​

1348 DR, Day 14 of Mirtul (spring)

On the next morning, the adventurers are up much earlier than on the day before. The headaches are also much lighter this day. The weather looks decent enough, cold, but at least no rain or strong wind.

After weighing the advantages and disadvantages against each other, they get ashore on the western riverside and venture northwards from there.

It takes them the better part of the day to manage about one third of the way towards the mountains - vast grasslands to their left and the barren riverside to their right, but still no sight of what might have caused this.

When dusk is slowly setting in, the adventurers notice a number of mounds, still a few miles away. It is hard to judge their size at this distance, but they are surely about as big as small houses, and there are a few of them clustered together.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Seeing the mounds up ahead, Storm stops the others, "Is there any of you who can mvoe quietly? I would like to investigate before we just march right in. I can sneak up and check it out." the ranger says.

After careful consideration of the terrain and the lack of cover, Storm reconsiders, "I am good, but not that good." he says, unslinging his bow, and doing his best to remain low.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
The mounds are in northwestern direction, not immediately at the river, but rather within the vast grassland, that spreads to the west. Due to the flatness of the terrain, they can be seen at quite a distance already. Of course, the opposite is true as well, and getting near without being seen by anyone or anything that might be there, would require someone highly skilled at hiding. There is not much in terms of cover or concealment.

Remove ads