[IC2] Pool of Radiance

Thanee

First Post
A quick examination of the book reveals, that it is some kind of journal. Some pages are missing, but there is still some text in it. The person who wrote it must have come here on purpose, because it speaks of this pyramid and of a wizard called Yarash, who is perfoming experiments of rather questionable morality with various water-dwelling creatures in order to create an army of loyal servants, which he would likely use to terrorize and conquer the surrounding regions.

The book also contains a crude map of a larger area of the labyrinth on the base level of the pyramid. Occasionally some areas are marked with a deathshead.

Leif

Adventurer
Emagor Rilliance and Peabody

Emagor compares the map in the book to the crude map that we have made during our exploration, trying to see if our map corresponds to an area on the larger, more definitive map so we can find out, hopefully, just where in the heck we are.

Malachei

First Post
When Emagor had taken the map from him, the gnome shook his head several times and, rather indignantly, called out "Young man! I was not monkeying around," - he stresses the Emagor's use of non-scientific terms in an ironic mockery - "I am an expert on maps, and I was improving this draft, so it is actually of use to use in this expedition. Now all of this is probably beyond your mental grasp, ja, but in any case, I'd rather not have a student question my research, or the way I carry out my profession, ja?" and, to emphasize, he stomped on the floor with his little foot.

Immediately thereafter, Schnickschnack had taken out a piece of vellum and started a new map, including a decent map key and all, all the while mumbling to himself, "Impertincence... ja... one room only... he'll see when he compares the work... ja..."

As the group finds the book, the professor warns, "It could be trapped!" and starts to carefully search the surrounding area. But as soon as Earmy approaches the book, he rushes alongside him, and curiously says "Let me see, let me see! Lower, lower, do I look like a giant, my human friend? Ja, that's better. Oh. Interesting." He then shuffles through the pages, and finally compares the three maps.

[sblock=OOC]

@ Thanee: would it help to gain more significant information to study the book or cast Amanuensis or is the brief summary basically it? (I'm not sure Schnickschnack can judge this, but if the book is thin, then he might be able to.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Earmy lowers it to the floor so the gnome can get the best possible observation of it, being a scholor himself.

Thanee

First Post
Looking at the various maps and the surrounding area the adventurers eventually can discern, where they are positioned.

There are two large areas, each spanning about one-half of the pyramid, seperated by a long corridor with a pillar room in the middle - the room from where the teleporters brought you here. Two of the deathshead markings are in this room.

The current location corresponds to a place in the lower right quarter of the map. There are two of the deathshead markings nearby, one very close, located in the middle of a corridor, and the other a bit further away in a deadend. In the upper right quarter, which is in the same half of the labyrinth, there is one part of approx. 25 by 30 feet completely blacked out. The rest of the area is covered in twisting corridors.

The other half of the map, which is not connected by any corridors with the half the adventurers are in, also contains similar corridors, a spiral maze in the lower left quarter, and a number of small, blacked out areas. It also contains two more of the deathshead markings, one in the middle of a corridor, and the other also in a deadend.

Scott DeWar

consulting with the professor Earmy points to the map and says, "These," he points to one of the death's heads, "are probably traps of some sort. That would be my best guess. I wonder what is here?" this last question is indicated by him pointing to the blacked out area 25 x 30.

Leif

Adventurer
Emagor Rilliance and Peabody

"Remember we are in a pyramid, so I would surmise that the death's head is intended to represent a funerary chamber or the location of a sarcophagus. At least, that seems more likely to me than an indication of a trap, which devices are, I doubt not, generously sprinkled across the map. Seems to me that there would be many more such symbols if they indicated traps. Just sayin'.... But what says the Professor?"

Scott DeWar

I would agree with a normal stone pyramid, but i suspect this stone of these walls were of arcane summonings.

See how there is a lack of mortar in the walls to show individual stones? It is if it was a single stone and purposely and precisely cut out and cut down. A virtual impossibility .

(see posts 452 and 453 for stone info)

Last edited:

Malachei

First Post
The gnome takes out a funny, curved pipe and stuffs it, while the others examine the map and offer their suggestions. "Ja-ja, obviously. It appears to me that the skulls indicate the location of traps, teleporters, probably? The black area could represent two sides of a coin, couldn't they? Such as winning and losing, perhaps. If my hypothesis is correct, then one of them would be a trap, a dungeon, where those are found that have triggered the wrong trap, whereas the other would be a treasure room," the professor pauses to ponder his theory, "And here," he moves his small finger over the area to the upper right, "we have a maze."

He pauses, then summarizes, "All very complicated. See, that happens when a map hasn't been made with a good map key."

Scotley

Hero
Eldwyn

Getting a little bored with all the academic debate, the halfling speaks up, "All these are excellent surmises, but I think we would be best served by venturing to the location of these two nearby 'deathshead' marks and see what we find there. Being cautious of course."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases