Tempest Fighter Build (lvl2)

Angellis_ater

First Post
Ok, so one of my players died and want a new character and we agreed to let him test a Tempest Technique Fighter. Do people have suggestions on what to use (We have access to Martial Power, PHB, DMG, MM and AV) to make this character effective?

I'm tempted to suggest he go with 2x Short Swords (+3 proficiency to make up for lost Weapon Talent, off-hand for getting best bonuses to damage from Tempest Technique). Unfortunately, this keeps his "weapon die" low, so what other suggestions do peole have?

I was thinking that I might suggest he take Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword to get a good, one-handed main weapon and use a Parrying Dagger as his off-hand weapon. That way he gets +2 to AC and +1 to Reflex, while still being able to provide a good offensive.

chitzk0i

Explorer
First, Tempest technique gives you +1 to attack rolls with off-hand weapons. Second, do you have the Adventurer's Vault? Double weapons count as off-hand and defensive along with a good-sized weapon die, so they are pretty much the best option. Otherwise, just go with short swords or katars. You'll get the +1 to attack and +2 to damage on both weapons.

abyssaldeath

First Post
Ok, so one of my players died and want a new character and we agreed to let him test a Tempest Technique Fighter. Do people have suggestions on what to use (We have access to Martial Power, PHB, DMG, MM and AV) to make this character effective?

I'm tempted to suggest he go with 2x Short Swords (+3 proficiency to make up for lost Weapon Talent, off-hand for getting best bonuses to damage from Tempest Technique). Unfortunately, this keeps his "weapon die" low, so what other suggestions do peole have?

I was thinking that I might suggest he take Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword to get a good, one-handed main weapon and use a Parrying Dagger as his off-hand weapon. That way he gets +2 to AC and +1 to Reflex, while still being able to provide a good offensive.

Double sword is your best weapon for a Tempest Fighter. +3 prof. 1d8 damage on both ends, light and heavy blade and both the off-hand and defensive property.

Because Tempest Fighters get a +1 to hit with off-hand weapons he will have a total of +4 to hit before any ability or enhancement modifiers. +1 for off-hand and +3 for proficiency.

If it wasn't for Double weapons I personally would use either Kukri's or Scourges.

Angellis_ater

First Post
So you both feel that it is worth a feat for Weapon Proficiency: Double Weapon? I'll make sure to pass that along to my player and see what he says. Thankyou for the suggestions!

Phoenix8008

First Post
I concur with them as well. I was just looking through this last night in building a replacement 1st level character for one of my campaigns. Double weapon is the way to go. I'm actually making him a human just to get the bonus feat so I can have Weapon Proficiency and Two Weapon Fighting at 1st level. Looking at taking Kensai for his Paragon Path eventually.

sammy

First Post
I have done a tempest fighter as you initially thought of, 2 short swords. I also had wpn focus light blades. Now you can "Dual Strike" for 1d6 +3 per attack ( 1 for the focus, 2 for the class ability for extra damage). I was quite happy with that. Unfortunately, it was a quick campaign. I actually liked the character as it was. If I continued, I was thinking of multi-classing with ranger, and burning some feats for Ranger powers.

I also thought that if I was human ( I was 1/2 elf), that I would use a feat to pick up "Weapon Pro-Katar". Same damage, same proficiency bonus, but also high crit. Not a huge difference, but a nice addition.

Good luck no matter how you go.

Sammy

chitzk0i

Explorer
A fun one is a Dwarf with Tempest Technique. Dwarven Weapon Training will give you proficiency with the double axe and you'll be Dual Striking for 1d10+4. A successful hit with Villain's Menace will mean you're doing 1d10+8 with Dual strike!

legiondevil

First Post
The idea I had for my Tempest Fighter was a short sword and a spiked shield. Yes, you lose the +1 shield bonus because Tempest Fighter gives you Two Weapon Defense as a bonus feat, but you also now have the ability to take all of the "Shield Required" powers that let you seriously control your small area of the battlefield.

Dual Strike, Shield Push, and Footwork Lure let you move enemies around to better provide cover for your allies, and you still deal decent damage since you can focus solely on Strength (with Dexterity and Wisdom as backups).

simen

First Post
Have you seen a thorough tempest build? Tried to search for it online. There should be a portal or something where people could send in their builds and other people could rate it... Like after how "good" it is, fun, clever, strange, etc.

Remove ads