Scum and Villainy

Crothian

First Post
Scum and Villainy

Star Wars Scum and Villainy is one of the latest books for the Star Wars Sage Role Playing Game. The book is a piecemeal of options and adventure ideas all around the theme of characters on the fringe of space and the backwater planets of the galaxy. There are new races, options for heroic classes, new uses for existing skills, new feats, talent trees for prestige classes, and that just takes the reader through the first chapter. There are sections in here for players and game masters so this book can be useful for everyone at the gaming table.

Scum and Villainy is published by Wizards of the Coast and is written by Gary Astleford, Robert Schwalb, Own Stephens, Rodney Thompson, and JD Wiker. The book is hard bound and square like all of them in the Star Wars Saga series. The book is about two hundred and twenty pages long and has the very familiar lay out that has been consistently good through out the whole product line. The art seems a little sparse in the book but that is just the impression from constants readings. It is good full color art and pictures from the movies mixed in.

The first chapter has a lot of player character and NPC options. It is useful, it fill some gabs, but it is normal to see these items in books. When I have ran and played Star Wars in the past and this includes all editions of the game one of the fun constants the players have always enjoyed was their own ship. We liked to customize and make the ship our own with our own designs and little personal touch. There are some good starship options and a few new ships with floor plans presented here. Floor plans are always a great addition. We have used them just so the players can show exactly where the additions they have added are. We even had one group that had a little too much room and emptied out a room for a mechanical bull. The other use we have gotten out of them is to enlarge the floor plans and break out the minis for interior ship combat of boarders. It works really well and I would like to see more floor plans in books.

Fringe Campaigns can be tough to run and get players to properly grasp. I wish I had had this book for my last Saga Campaign because the chapter on fringe campaigns would have really helped us and sustained that game. What I really like about this chapter is that ir talks about each element the campaign can have and then gives a rather specific adventure hook that deals directly with that section be it the pricew of trust or the edge of space.

There is a nice section on jobs for the fringe campaign. This includes abductions, assassinations, hijacking, sabotaged, and twelve others. Each gives about how much the job will pay and what cut assuming the player characters do not get all of it. It suggest level of target depending on if the adventure is going to be easy and hard. Each also has about five suggested complications of varying degrees of difficulty. There are a lot of options here and it is a great way to have simple adventure out lines and then see how the players want to proceed and let them come up with plans and become more proactive.

There is a lot of information and options in the book. I really enjoyed reading through it and it would be near impossible to make use of half of it in the few months the book has been out. But it is one of those books people look through and the Dm reads parts for each adventure especially when the campaign focuses on the dirtier parts of the Star Wars Universe.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases