Thinking Of Starting A Vegetarian Diet; How To Get My Protein? Any Other Advice?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I'm curious. I know protein is an important part of maintaining a healthy diet.

I need advice and am curious how to get the protein my body needs.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Phaezen pretty much nailed it. On that matter, even non-vegetarians should eat as much fish as possible, since it's pretty much the healthiest source for protein anyway. Much to my dismal since I hate fish :D

If going for very strict vegan diet you should propably turn to medical supplements, because you really can't get all the necessary from only plants.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Phaezen pretty much nailed it. On that matter, even non-vegetarians should eat as much fish as possible, since it's pretty much the healthiest source for protein anyway. Much to my dismal since I hate fish :D

If going for very strict vegan diet you should propably turn to medical supplements, because you really can't get all the necessary from only plants.

If I do go vegan, it'll be loose. I highly doubt I'll go the vegan route though. Which supplements should I be on the lookout for if I do?

Blackrat

Which supplements should I be on the lookout for if I do?
I really don't know. My awareness to this is through an ex-girlfriend of mine who was very strict vegan. I just know she used to take all sort of pills to keep her healthy without needing to eat any kind of meat-product. In my mind, even that wasn't very healthy way of living...

But you could try consulting a doctor about it. They should know what products are good for you and what are just scams.

Merkuri

Explorer
Eggs are a good protein source. My soon-to-be mother-in-law is a vegetarian, and she gets a lot of her protein from eggs. It's not vegan-safe, though.

Soy has a lot of protein. Have a bowl of cereal with some soymilk, or eat some tofu. That IS vegan-safe.

Blackrat

I just realized that I couldn't go vegan. I enjoy drinking coffee with sweetener and whole milk in it way too much.

:D. Yeah, go for fish, eggs & milk then. They are good for you. Except be moderate with eggs, they have pretty high cholestrol too. And as Merkuri said, soy is a good one too. Propably the best plant-product to supplement protein.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If I do go vegan, it'll be loose. I highly doubt I'll go the vegan route though. Which supplements should I be on the lookout for if I do?

So you know, there's no such thing as "loose vegan". Vegan is not short for vegetarian any more. Vegan means "strict vegetarian" - eliminating all animal products from the diet (meaning no meat of any type, no dairy products, and no eggs).

Your typical sources of protein in a vegetarian diet are beans and legumes - beans, peas, peanuts, soy, and so on. It can be a lot of work to get complete protein in a palatable way. Being vegetarian really calls for some significant learning before you attempt it. It tends to have significant impact on your social life, because you have to make special arrangements to eat with your friends.

Simply eliminating red meat is not so tough. If the impact on your body is the main issue, this gets you most of the benefits you probably want, with a lot fewer hoops to jump through.

Remove ads