Archer Bard Build Help

Shin Okada

Explorer
You may also better check War Chanter (Complete Warrior) and Abjurant Champion (Complete Mage). Both of them are martial prestige classes which can be advanced from Bard.

almagest

First Post
Honestly I want the bard for roleplaying reasons only, we don't really have any min/maxers in our group and do emphasize roleplaying. Some adventures will go as far to only have 1 combat per time. The spell casting is just icing on the cake. I guess if I had to prioritize why I am playing it would look like this.

Bard roleplaying
archer ability
inspire courage
spell casting

One reason I was thinking bard/ranger was for character concept only. Some backwoods traveler type who pops out of the woods every now and then into civilization. I was thinking some self reliant explorer type character who rolls into town and plays some music, charms some ladies, and then is off again on the next adventure. All the while being able to somewhat survive and fight alone.

**EDIT**
I'm actually thinking about using the Half-Satyr template from a Dragon Mag that would really pull the bard/ranger idea together. I'm sure people here won't appreciate it since it isn't the ultimate min/maxer but I'm starting to really like the character concept.

+2 Natural Armor
Low light vision
+2 racial Hide, Move, Listen, Spot, and any Perform
Disappointing that there is no stat increases though...
You know, you could just play a forest bard, who wears green/brown, hides/moves silently, uses a bow, and uses his high charisma to befriend animals. There's probably a sourcebook somewhere that outlines a nature-oriented bard, or you could certainly homebrew something with your DM. Classes are not roleplaying archetypes; you don't have to multiclass or play things you don't want to just to fit a concept.

Shin Okada

Explorer
If you start at ECL 7 and monster races are allowed, how about playing a Centaur Bard? You can start from a Centaur Bard 1 and then just leveling up as a pure bard or multi-class in ranger later (favored class).

The race is of wild and forest. Has high strength, high dex, and can use large composite longbow (they have racial proficiency so you don't need to take a feat for it). Fast, too.

Or, maybe you should better check Catfolk in Races of Wild. IMHO that is one of the best LA+1 race.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I don't why I didn't think of this sooner: Unearthed Arcana's Savage Bard variant.
-blarg

I thought of it, but unfortunately it's mostly barbarian-related, even though it doesn't give rage.

For the OP, if you want to multiclass with something nature-oriented, there's also the Wilderness Rogue (UA and d20srd.org) and the Scout (Complete Adventurer).

As for Half-Satyr, does it have a level adjustment? If not or it's only +1, it seems fine, go for it. If it's +2 or higher, you shouldn't need to be a min-maxer to realize that's just plain awful.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMHO one of the most flexible Bard Archers is the Barbarian 1 / Bard.

The speed bonus is great when you need to stay out of reach, and Rage 1/day is quite a nice perk for those times when you simply can't avoid melee. The save is complementary, and the hit points are very nice if you take Barbarian as your first level.

Cheers, -- N

Darklone

Agreeing with the Penguin. I played and loved bbn/bards several times and most of them did some archery on the way. Warblade1/bardX is great as well as mentioned above with Song of the White Raven. Pal4/Bard16 has great archery options but is pretty lame to start with... even heading for Devoted Performer.

Buy wands of Flame Arrows. That spell has a nicely long duration, so you can use it long before battle.

Str 14 is a good idea, dex doesn't have to be too high (bard has enough bonuses to hit).

Either go for Rapid Shot OR Manyshot. You won't have feats for both (not with Song of the Heart and Song of the White Raven and others you'll want).

Depending on how high your dex can be, Precise Shot isn't necessary.

Haste is the most important spell you need. Or get boots of speed. Or both.

Check out the Magic Item compendium: The most important thing for a bard archer is the Bow of songs. You can add your CHA bonus to damage AND to hit for one round and it costs only one use of bardic music! For a level 7 bard that means:

Just one level to go and you can shoot 4 arrows per round at BAB -2 (Rapid Shot) + dex bonus (should be at least at +3 here )+ cha bonus (+3 or +4)+ inspire bonus (+3 or +4 at that level or even higher). Each of these arrows causes 1d8+Str bonus+ Cha bonus+inspire bonus.

Ever seen a Swift Hunter Scout/Ranger archer with Greater Manyshot? If you have good stats, the bard archer comes close and has many other options.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases