Converting Planescape monsters

Oryan77

Adventurer
Well, maybe this could help kick start things? I did not write this up. I believe I pulled this from an old WotC conversion thread back in the 3.5 days. I only have the mechanical effects and this was sort of my cliff notes version that I used years ago when I ran some of these guys in an encounter. I don't know how accurate this draft is, but here you go...

Reave
Medium Monstrous Humanoid [Extraplanar]
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+2 NA, +7 Half-Plate), touch 10, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
Attack: Longsword +3 melee (1d8+3/19–20)
Full Attack: Longsword +3 melee (1d8+3/19–20) and 3 Short Swords +3/+3/+3 melee (1d6+3/19–20), or Halberd +3 melee (1d10+3/x3) and 2 Short Swords +3/+3 melee (1d6+3/19–20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, Odd Symmetry, Astral Fading
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 11, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 9
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +5
Feats: Multiweapon Fighting
Environment: ?
Organization: ?
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil
Advancement: ?
Level Adjustment: ?

Odd Symmetry (Ex): Cannot be flanked due to odd body symmetry.

Astral Fading (Ex): Full round action, can shift to the Astral Plane for 6 rounds. Can shift back to original location 100 yards away from original position as a full round action. The Reave is aware of what happens while in the Astral and gains the incorporeal type.

Cleon

Legend
Well, maybe this could help kick start things? I did not write this up. I believe I pulled this from an old WotC conversion thread back in the 3.5 days. I only have the mechanical effects and this was sort of my cliff notes version that I used years ago when I ran some of these guys in an encounter. I don't know how accurate this draft is, but here you go...

So can I take that as meaning you're game to work on a conversion?

I can see a fair few synchronicities with what I was thinking about for their stats in there, but I'm more inclined to build them from scratch.

Oryan77

Adventurer
So can I take that as meaning you're game to work on a conversion?

I can certainly try to help, but I don't seem to be as knowledgeable about monster creation as you guys. I tried to help before, but my suggestions were always shot down and I felt like I was being more of a burden than helpful. That is not meant as a dig on you guys. You know your stuff. I'm the one lacking the skills in that department to be of any real help. :blush:

Cleon

Legend
I can certainly try to help, but I don't seem to be as knowledgeable about monster creation as you guys. I tried to help before, but my suggestions were always shot down and I felt like I was being more of a burden than helpful. That is not meant as a dig on you guys. You know your stuff. I'm the one lacking the skills in that department to be of any real help. :blush:

Don't worry about it, you have to start somewhere!

Might as well start then. The first question is creature type. I see two main possibilities:

Monstrous Humanoid (since they're described as "humanoids" and were originally from the Prime Material Plane).

Outsider (since they live on the Outer Planes).

There are arguments for both, so it really goes down to which tickles our fancy more. The Outsider option is the stronger of the two.

A secondary question is what subtypes they have. They live on Acheron but it's debatable whether Reaves are truly native to Acheron (which might give them the Extraplanar, Evil & Lawful subtypes like an Achaierai). I could see them having a subset of those subtypes like some other Acheron inhabitants such as the Bladeling and Justicator (which are just Lawful) or the Bonespear, Siege Beetle & Steelwing (which are just Extraplanar) or even no subtypes like the Steel Predator.

Any ideas?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases