Converting Planescape monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's put in some flavor somewhere that the Hearts were created by drops of blood from the last Nightmare Lord.

Maybe some vague mechanics. What if we say that it's an incantation that causes the sohmien to attack the caster if the skill check fails? (If we set the DC, we may want to put on some restrictions or else the DC will be 40+.) Edit: or the pact can be less powerful than the artifact.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Perhaps the ritual summons 5 sohmien as the baseline, and the DC increases by 5 (or more) for each additional 5 sohmien?

freyar

Yes, and perhaps they only stay a few hours. It should also only work on cloudy nights or something. I'm not quite sure how the DCs work, since I can't figure out the example incantation DCs in the SRD. But we can leave that for the DM to figure out perhaps.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here we go...

Sohmien Pact
Conjuration (Calling)
Effective Level: 6th
Skill Check: Knowledge (the planes) DC 26, 6 successes
Failure: Attack
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 60 minutes
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One or more summoned creature
Duration: 12 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This incantation calls forth a herd of sohmien to ride forth, destroying all in the path leading to the creature that has wronged the summoner. The ride ends only when the sohmien are slain or when they have reduced the offending creature to 0 hit points. At that point, the sohmien wait, pawing the ground. If their victim desires revenge for the attack, he can send the sohmien stampeding back to attack the summoner.

The incantation summons a herd of five sohmien. By choosing to increase the DC, the summoner may attempt to call forth additional sohmien. For each five poins the DC is increased, five more sohmien are called.

The sohmien pact may only be performed at dusk.

Failure: The sohmien attack the caster, then return to the Hinterlands.

Focus: An item belonging to the target, or part of the target's body (hair, nail, etc.)

Last edited:

freyar

I like it! I guess the ability of the victim to return the sohmien to attack the summoner reduces the DC a bit? How did you figure the DC anyway?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Based on the bottom of this page:

Conjuration = DC 30 base
-4 casting time is restricted (dusk)

I suppose we could knock off a few more points for the chance they'll come back for the caster. What do you think? -2 more?

freyar

Oh, see, I would have thought there was another +4 for single to multiple targets. I agree that they come back to attack the caster (possibly) sounds like a backlash worth another -2. So are we at DC 28 now?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The CR isn't quite sitting well with me. It's ridiculously deadly, what with powerful charge and impaling bite, but at 17 HP and AC 16 it might not survive to get them off if it loses initiative. I say give it DR 5/good and I'd be comfortable calling it a CR 3.

Remove ads