Converting Planescape monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Combat: Sohmien prefer to attack with the spines that protrude from their shoulder blades. Three spines sprout from each shoulder; the top two primary spines can be fired at an opponent for 1-8 points of damage each. Their spines make a horrible whistling noise when fired and shriek when they taste blood. The spines are treated as +1 enchanted weapons, inflict double damage against nightmares, and regrow in 2d4 days.

Spines (Ex): A sohmien may fire its two primary spines as a standard action (make an attack roll for each spine). This attack has a range of x feet with no range increment. Targets must be within x feet of each other. A sohmien's spines are treated as magic weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Expended spines regrow in 2d4 days.

A nightmare struck by a sohmien's spine loses its ability to fly and travel to other planes (see bane of nightmares, above).

The stampede of the sohmien inspires fear in any creature with fewer than 2 HD, forcing a Morale check. Nic’Epona, bariaur, and horses receive a +4 bonus to their Morale checks. The sohmien can only stampede at dusk and only at the request of someone who has invoked them (See below).

Normal stampede ability merged with frightful presence? Retain the odd racial bonuses?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Spines look good. 100 ft range, targets within 30 ft? Not sure here, but I want them to be able to hit flying nightmares. :]

Stampede with frightful presence, yes. Or maybe just stampede plus regular frightful presence triggered by a stampede. I don't really like the racial bonuses vs fear much. I also don't know what to make of the restriction on when they can stampede.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's standard stampede...

Stampede (Ex): A frightened herd of bison flees as a group in a random direction (but always away from the perceived source of danger). They literally run over anything of Large size or smaller that gets in their way, dealing 1d12 points of damage for each five bison in the herd (Reflex DC 18 half ). The save DC is Strength-based.

I think we should drop the "frightened" bit, as it sounds like they stampede at their summoner's request.

Does the rest work?

freyar

The rest works. I kind of like the idea of frightful presence for a group of stampeding sohmien, though.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
It's more than frightful presence, though, since a failed morale check resulted in fleeing, not just penalties. They could have a conditional fear aura, I guess... but even so, I'd like to drop the "only at dusk" thing.

freyar

Since dusk may not make sense on other planes anyway, I'll agree to that. Increasing to a stronger fear aura is fine, too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases