The City Arcana [3.5][Mature][Dark]

moritheil

First Post
[IC thread is up!]
[RG is up!]

Magic is disappearing from the land.

A world-spanning coalition, backed by the will of tyrannical priests, the machinations of unscrupulous nobles, and the superstitions of peasantry, seeks to eliminate all wielders of arcane forces. They have largely succeeded. Long fragmented and rarely sharing much in common, the different orders of magic were pressed back, and many of the talented mages whose power could have swayed battles opted to simply leave for other planes of existence instead. Persistent, dark rumors hold that this war was but an excuse for their departure, and that the true enemy of arcane magic lies not in the mundane affairs of governments and wars but in something far more difficult to face.

The war is all but over. There remains but one true city - Arcana, the last bastion of free magic. There a new generation of heroes will gather and be tested.

OOC info:

I'd like to run a small campaign. This is a departure from my previous, sprawling, rules-intensive campaigns, as I no longer have the time and I'd like to do something more cinematic.

I need well-behaved players, accustomed to 3.5 and accustomed to RP. I want this to be a smooth, laid-back, fun experience for all involved. On average I am going to have ~20 minutes/day to post; I do not want long rules disputes and if pressed I will issue summary rulings (but I'm very experienced at making 3.5 rulings, so usually my instincts agree with the rules.) I need people to post 4 times/week during the weekdays; weekends are off.

I'm looking for 2-3 level one characters, 32-point buy; I would like arcanists or hybrids of some sort to preserve flavor, but it's not mandatory. (If your character is not an arcanist, why is he or she siding with the losing side of the war? Justice? Family ties? Quirk of fate?) I will choose the characters that most fit the setting as offered by the players who appear most suited to the campaign.

Those of you who know me know that most of my DnD campaigns are brutal combat grinders with elaborate political machinations thrown on top, for layers of depth no matter how you slice them, but here I'm trying to simplify things.

Any official 3.5 book is allowed with the exception of Incarnum. I don't have it. I do have one custom class available for the campaign: the Mystic Knight, which could grossly be described as a neutral, arcane substitute for the paladin. It is a class designed to work with a friendly mage. I will post a link if it becomes apparent that there is interest.

I won't bat an eye if you play something so highly min/maxed that standard monsters can't challenge you as long as you do it in a way that fits with the story. However, the focus is on the story - anything that could ruin the story will be tossed out, no questions or exceptions. Obscene diplomacy bonuses and infinite loops are out.

The Mature tag is there because I expect to deal with themes of tyranny, oppression, betrayal, torture, graphic violence, social injustice, moral ambiguity, and desperation. I don't expect to deal with them all the time, but in the event the party encounters them, you have been forewarned.

The city has a politics writeup. The enemies have a politics writeup. Their tyrannical deity has a writeup. I have histories, names, personages . . . but wouldn't it be better to just find out?

Last edited:

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Wow, glad I'm awake at dark-thirty to notice this.

I want in. Will start off as a human wizard multiclassing into sorcerer and eventually picking up levels of ultimate maugs, assuming the caharacters gain enough levels.

I'll start work on my character after getting some sleep.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Yeah, this sounds intriqueing. The Mystic Knight sounds very nice, or I could always go with many splatbook variants of basic "mage". I'd like to see somesort of consept from each prospective player to build a balanced party.

My consept would be either a basic mage build, or a bodyguard for a mage character.

pathfinderq1

First Post
I'm interested as well. My first thought, given the wide-open nature of options is, an elan beguiler (and psion to be) with an eye towards either Cerebremancer or Mindbender PrC- not that that is likely, but it helps define the character.

Gli'jar

First Post
Sounds very interesting. A human warlock, wizard or a god of magic worshiping cleric perhaps. What are you looking for as far as concept?

moritheil

First Post
I am intrigued, and I am sure that I will not be the only one either. How soon are you looking at getting this started?

Thanks. I think that I will take this week to review applications, and start towards the beginning of next week.

Gil'jar said:
Sounds very interesting. A human warlock, wizard or a god of magic worshiping cleric perhaps. What are you looking for as far as concept?

Anything that fits, really. All of those examples are valid. While you are limited to LA +0 options, you don't have to be human - all arcane practitioners have been displaced or driven into hiding and many have sought refuge in the city Arcana. Thus it would be unsurprising to find dwarves, elves, gnomes, and the like rubbing shoulders with kobolds, goblins, and aasimar (see this link for the LA+0 way to play aasimar - you essentially start as a level 1 in whatever class you want, then add the Aasimar level at level 2.)

pathfinderq1 said:
I'm interested as well. My first thought, given the wide-open nature of options is, an elan beguiler (and psion to be) with an eye towards either Cerebremancer or Mindbender PrC- not that that is likely, but it helps define the character.

Sounds perfectly fine.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
just wanted to say that if i could spare enough time and mentle rescorces to play i would try to join. I think this is an awsome concept. good luck!

on another note i humbly and respectfully request permission to steal barrow the Mystic Knight class.

I also want to say that i will try to follow2 the story line for the pure entertainment of it.

S. DeWar

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases